Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reason I shouldn't for $600? (XTR II 1-8)

biggulp

Was asking around about optics for my first 3gun build and a friend offered me my choice of either the FFP or SFP XTR II 1-8 for $600 NIB. 

Any reason I shouldn't get one for that price? (meaning, is there something better for $600)

Assuming the answer is "Yes, go buy it for $600", is there a reason I shouldn't get the FFP?

Thanks!

This has been discussed a bunch...

FFP yields tiny reticle at 1x which is where you do a bunch of shooting in 3Gun. Needs to be a very bright illuminated dot at 1x to give an aiming point since reticle will be nearly invisible.

Its kinda heavy.

Likely not the most forgiving "eyebox" at 8x, but you can somewhat work around that by being consistent with cheek weld.

Price is solid.

Compare to Vortex StrikeEagle and PST II, etc....

Edited by wgj3

I don't see the XTR II 1-8x available anywhere online for less than $1,000.  So buy both for $600 each and sell the one you don't like :P.  I've never looked through either to say which is better choice.  The FFP reticle would need to be bright and easily visible at 1x to be good for 3 gun.  If you don't want the FFP I'll buy it off your friend for $600 ;)

It's a good deal, but might not be the right tool for the task.  I don't know too many people using 8x optics for 3-gun. Very few clubs have targets that run out that far at matches. I would hazard a guess that 75% of all matches in the country extend no further than 200 yds, and and a full 95% don't go beyond 400 yards. Either way, a 6x is typically adequate for those distances and targets sizes (IPSC torso).  The 1-8 will be heavier and slower (tight eye box, therefore longer to acquire targets) than a comparable 1-6.

The Viper PST Gen II 1-6 is a very good contender for 3 gun. It can typically be found on sale for around $650 new.

I have the SFP XTR 1x8. Also a Viper PST 1x6 Gen II, and a Razor HD 1x6. Glass & reticle in the XTR is very similar to the Viper. Both very good, but not quite as good as the Razor HD.

Can't go wrong with that price. I paid around $900 for mine.

Nice to have the higher power when you need it. Many of us run 1x8 especially if you ever plan on shooting any majors. 

gerritm

I would say once you start going past the 1-6 range a FFP should be a must. Admittedly I’m not a fan of anything Burris, but for that price it appears to be a good deal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While a 1-8x might not be needed if all the targets are 400 yards or less then I think a 1-8x with FFP makes more sense. You don't have to be dialed in at 8x to hit a target, you can dial to 4x or 6x and keep the FOV open to acquire targets a little quicker. If you run into a match that has some long range shots you have 8x power to assist. A lot of 1-6x are lighter, but the most popular 1-6x is as heavy as all the 1-8x out there, I'm talking about the Razor. I know the Burris SFP is daylight bright but not sure on the FFP.

However, having said all that I like the Burris SFP reticle better. I wish they made the FFP with a BDC out to 800-900 yards instead of 600 yards. Even though the longest range near me is 500 yards I'd like to have something just in case I ever needed it or traveled to a range for some long distance shooting.