Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MagnetoSpeed V3 on 1911

A search for the above will return a few posts here and elsewhere but none addressing the actual issue; how to attach a MegnetoSpeed V3 to a 1911 style gun that does not have accessory rails cut in the slide". I recently picked up a Limited STI and toyed around with drilling and tapping, then attacking a small piece of Picatinny rail to the frame so I could mount all with rail clamp MegnetoSpeed sells. In the meantime I sold the STI and pickup up an Open (1911 style) gun again with no rail cuts. However, this gun is carbon steel and therefore magnetic. I wonder if I could mill a magnet in the shape of a Picatinny rail so I can use the MegnetoSpeed clamp and simply (but temporarily) attach the magnet to the underside of the frame.

This brings up a few questions:

1. Will it mess up the MegnetoSpeed reading?

2. Will the magnet screw up the gun?

3. Will a magnet is strong enough or will the recoil dislodge all. For safety and I generally do this now would be to check all between rounds.

4. Here's a whole different idea....what if I tested my rounds in a gun with a rail (similar barrel length but no comp), how different would the results be?

Having said all that I really like the MegnetoSpeed for ease of use and not disturbing all the other shooters on the line, not to mention hoping a conventional  chrono will work (sun, weather, alignment of the starts etc.).

I'm open to any and all suggestions.....thanks in advance.

Following because I’d love to hear if anyone has found a solution to using the magnetospeed with a 1911. It’s awesome to be able to quickly attached it to my glock to verify velocity and obviously awesome on rifles but I still have my shooting chrony tin can for testing 1911 loads. I’d love to be able to ditch that thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried your second option of the bayonet sensor mounted on a board. It works, but in my opinion it’s a pain. After each shot I used the check rod to verify I wasn’t goin to shoot the bayonet and had proper bullet clearance above the sensors. I ordered the picatiny rail adapter to use on my CZ P09 but, it was out of stock and I needed to verify my loads before a big match. My other chronograph was acting up and suspect and my magneto speed verified it. My loads PF was right on when tested with the magneto speed and at the match as well.

A side benefit. Using my magneto speed allowed me to know my true muzzle velocity. When I got a new Caldwell chronograph to use for my pistol loads. I was able to use my average muzzle velocity and a known distance velocity to calculate my Bullets BC. By the way, the zip tie looks like it’s a viable option it it’s tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, RAP said:

I tried your second option of the bayonet sensor mounted on a board. It works, but in my opinion it’s a pain. After each shot I used the check rod to verify I wasn’t goin to shoot the bayonet and had proper bullet clearance above the sensors. I ordered the picatiny rail adapter to use on my CZ P09 but, it was out of stock and I needed to verify my loads before a big match. My other chronograph was acting up and suspect and my magneto speed verified it. My loads PF was right on when tested with the magneto speed and at the match as well.

A side benefit. Using my magneto speed allowed me to know my true muzzle velocity. When I got a new Caldwell chronograph to use for my pistol loads. I was able to use my average muzzle velocity and a known distance velocity to calculate my Bullets BC. By the way, the zip tie looks like it’s a viable option it it’s tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect I will have to re-align each time, but hopefully it will be quick enough as I made it in such a way that (again hopefully) I can't hit the bayonet. The proof will be in the pudding I guess. I have a regular chromo but its a pain to set up and you have to go on an off day or pee off the rest of the shooters! You can't beat the MagnetoSpeed for ease of use....well on anything with a rail.

The zip tie method is not bad, but would require holding onto both the gun and chromo....which is not ideal. Its actually fairly tight, but it still flops side to side.  

Edited by quiller

25 minutes ago, Suburban Commando said:

There was a company that made a rail that attaches to a 1911 frame with a magnet. Perhaps a web or youtube search might find it

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of using a magnet but I'm not sure what it will do to the MagnetoSpeed results or components. I did find magnet rail attachments a while back but shy'd away as I'm not sure of the results....besides building something myself is a cost savings..... 

Edited by quiller

It worked. Go here for a link but in shortOkay, got to the range and it works great. The only issue was the screws holding the MagnetoSpeed to the wooden base worked loose. I just needed to check then every so often and re-tighten. Perhaps I’ll come up with version 1.2 in the near future. Also, my reloads worked great as well!

• 2 months later...

Several years ago, I suggested Magnetospeed  provide a modified bayonet to allow either attachment to a Ransom rest or provide a reconfigured bayonet w/o the "P-trap" or  with a modified divot . The bayonet could be mounted perpendicular rather than parallel to the slide/frame. They expressed zero interest-----Figures

7 minutes ago, 2tuf4u said:

Several years ago, I suggested Magnetospeed  provide a modified bayonet to allow either attachment to a Ransom rest or provide a reconfigured bayonet w/o the "P-trap" or  with a modified divot . The bayonet could be mounted perpendicular rather than parallel to the slide/frame. They expressed zero interest-----Figures

It's really odd that they never respond to anything! Conversely, I got a call from another vendor I found here named "Mighty Armory" Wayne, the owner called me and we talked for thirty minutes! I bought one of his dies and the other day I bought another. He emailed to thank me for coming back! That's customer service. I'm not related in any way but he's good people.