Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol or WSF

I've got a 9mm CMMG Guard that I'm going to use for casual steel challenge.  I've got these two powders current in use and have run both 124 Bayou/3.6WSF and 135 Bayou/3.2SP down the 16" barrel with no function issues.  I will chrono this Friday, but PF obviously not an issue.  Minimal recoil in any event with the weight of the rifle.  

Since I clean two very dirty 9mm 1911s 3x/week I wouldn't mind a load that is "relatively" clean in the PCC.  Or for SC do we ignore dirt and I'll stick with one of the above very soft 1911 loads?

15 minutes ago, Hammer002 said:

I actually use 3.0gn WSF with a 135 coated bullet for steel challenge.  I prefer a little more velocity for USPSA PCC, so I go up to 3.1 or 3.2.  Sounds like you are already there.

Thanks.  Logically, the WSF would make more sense for a 16" barrel since I assume it's slower than Sport Pistol.  I haven't tried the WSF/135 combination in our 1911; every soft load in a 9mm 1911 has minimal recoil, but I'm finding I prefer the feel of the 135 in the handgun over 115gr bullets.  I'll load up 135/WSF for both, different loads of course, and see how it goes on Friday.  

For pistol, WSF really only mixes well with the 135.  In the rifle it’s very flat, very soft, and very accurate.  3.0 WSF and Black Bullet 135 hits 125.7 PF last I checked with chrono.  3.1 seems perfect for uspsa.  3.2 is a little more noticeable recoil, but even safer velocity for chrono match.  2.9 is too light, even for steel.  3.0 seems right for steel.  3.1 is little more snap, but flat enough for steel.  3.2 starts to move the dot to the edge of the CMore during recoil and has more felt recoil.  Small increments are definitely noticable.

I'm using sport pistol in my pistol loads for 9mm minor uspsa stuff. I use the exact same round in my pcc in uspsa and steel challenge.

3.30 grains under a 147gr rnfp plated bullet.

Edited by rowdyb

WSF is all I use in 9mm. It may be because when I started loading, that's all I could find, but that's what I've stuck with. I use the same load in my DVC Limited and my PCC. I don't remember the exact charge off the top of my head but it is right around 3.0 with a 147gr coated lead bullet.