Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unica Flat Safety Install Question Stock II

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

One point,  the Tanfo sears are only thinly surface hardened.  removing the bottom material ... do you think it will let the sear wear faster? 

That is something I thought about before removing any material. Two points come to mind:

- the surface being removed is not the sear engagement surface, we leave that part alone. The surface being removed does join the sear engagement surface at the edge, but it doesn't affect sear engagement or the hardness.

- I only removed .006" material to fit the safety; if the case hardening is good enough for a sear it should be deeper than that.

The bottom flat of the sear that I removed material from is actually a raised pad - that makes me think it may have been intended to be fitted that way, because there's some extra material that can be removed. I wouldn't be surprised if the hand fitted custom shop guns are fitted this way, although I've never examined one. 

I haven't seen any signs of wear on that surface, although I only have a few hundred rounds through it at this point. If I see anything (I really don't think I will) I'll be sure to report back here. 

Edited by Yondering