Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA shooter wondering about USPSA

mjkten

5 hours ago, HoMiE said:

You don’t have to retain mags, just drop them and go. 

That got me when I gave IDPA a try  little while ago. Unless the gun goes empty, you have to keep the old mag with you in IDPA. And I shot a group of targets in the wrong order.

4 hours ago, perttime said:

That got me when I gave IDPA a try  little while ago. Unless the gun goes empty, you have to keep the old mag with you in IDPA. And I shot a group of targets in the wrong order.

Yes, but they let you dump rounds these days, so it's really not a big deal and it only takes a couple of matches to figure out their "tactical priority".  

9 hours ago, stick said:

The main difference which i'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet is the stage brief.  In IDPA, the stage is laid out for you and it tells you what to shoot when and how.  In USPSA, the stages just tell you where to start.  You have to solve the puzzle.  You can see 10 different shooters run a stage 10 different ways in USPSA.

That's true for probably 80-90% of the stages. There are some where you have some latitude, but you still have to approach and engage targets as they become visible or exposed to you. So you wouldn't jump out in the open and start hosing down 4 targets in IDPA, just have to start with the ones that come visible as you work your way around the edge of whatever "cover" there is. 

I watched a few stages of a USPSA match here locally and it looked pretty entertaining. Lots of rounds downrange. I should have probably gotten closer to the scoring/target pasting to see that part of it. I recognized a few shooters from the IDPA ranks, but lots of new and different faces. 

1 hour ago, mjkten said:

That's true for probably 80-90% of the stages. There are some where you have some latitude, but you still have to approach and engage targets as they become visible or exposed to you. So you wouldn't jump out in the open and start hosing down 4 targets in IDPA, just have to start with the ones that come visible as you work your way around the edge of whatever "cover" there is. 

I watched a few stages of a USPSA match here locally and it looked pretty entertaining. Lots of rounds downrange. I should have probably gotten closer to the scoring/target pasting to see that part of it. I recognized a few shooters from the IDPA ranks, but lots of new and different faces. 

I don't shoot much IDPA. But, I recently shot a IDPA state match at a club I shoot USPSA at from time to time. I was amazed how many people were there I'd never seen before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 9:58 PM, stick said:

The main difference which i'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet is the stage brief.  In IDPA, the stage is laid out for you and it tells you what to shoot when and how.  In USPSA, the stages just tell you where to start.  You have to solve the puzzle.  You can see 10 different shooters run a stage 10 different ways in USPSA.

That's just bad stage design. The descriptions used to be a a reading on procedure, now they should be, here's the start, here's the fault lines, good luck.

That being said, I have shoot plenty of USPSA stages we're there's only one way to shoot it. Maybe one target could be taken from two positions.

But at the same time, there are definitely much much harder stages to game plan in USPSA. Just because there's no plan to truly follow unless you create it yourself. In IDPA you know you have to stop and shoot, but potentially remember a few targets you engaged elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, daytona955i said:

That's just bad stage design. The descriptions used to be a a reading on procedure, now they should be, here's the start, here's the fault lines, good luck.

I don't think that is really accurate, maybe this area is just doing it wrong. Typically the stage description will tell you what targets must be engaged from what position and if any are to be engaged in the open things like that. Then tactical priority tells you which order to engage targets. Typically very limited on options, they are there if you know the rules and where to look. But, just "here are the fault lines good luck" doesn't sound like any IDPA I've been to in MD, DE, VA, or PA.

19 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I don't think that is really accurate, maybe this area is just doing it wrong. Typically the stage description will tell you what targets must be engaged from what position and if any are to be engaged in the open things like that. Then tactical priority tells you which order to engage targets. Typically very limited on options, they are there if you know the rules and where to look. But, just "here are the fault lines good luck" doesn't sound like any IDPA I've been to in MD, DE, VA, or PA.

It's very much dependent on club because what you're talking about is the way IDPA was shot for years. You do still have to identify positions of cover. Options aren't hard in IDPA, and I'm not talking just go right first instead of left. Stage design is just lazy.

On 7/7/2018 at 1:36 PM, HCH said:

Give it a try. 

Heck, since IDPA now has CO, fault lines, and no more tac reloads, I may be inclined to shoot a match. 

You can still do tac loads if you want to. In some cases it will benefit you if you know how to do them. It's a trick I pull out of the bag from time to time.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:36 PM, HCH said:

Give it a try. 

Heck, since IDPA now has CO, fault lines, and no more tac reloads, I may be inclined to shoot a match. 

That is what we thought. With the new rules how bad could it be? Several of us got together and shot an IDPA match a few weeks ago. It was kind of an open match to refresh new or shooters who haven't shot one in awhile. Relaxed the rules. We shot PCC division. 30 round mag limit, but why? Held at same range as a USPSA classifier match was going on, you could shoot both. Forgot about all the other "rules."

18 rounds max?

No airgunning?

No walk thru after initial one? 

Tactical order? Thought it was the first one you see, nope not necessarily. We managed several procedural s on this one.

Several other rules? Seemed like we were always being told that we can't do that.

Too many rules, remembered why I shoot USPSA & 3-gun. Here is the stage, start here, this is the shooting area, stay within the lines, figure it out how you want to shoot it, be safe, and have fun.

gerritm

So, IDPA guy, you can shoot your gun from IWB appendix concealment, if you declare yourself as Open, Limited, or L10, Holster position is not restricted. Concealment is not against the rules, although the match director can review your holster.  And you can play all your IDPA cover and reloads, because there is no rule against it. Now the rest of the squad will be "like what?" but you are good to go. I do that every few matches with my carry guns, just to stay sharp. My scores, of course, are nowhere near my regular competition guns.

Depending on the RO, you are typically given around 5min to inspect the stage and figure out your plan.  The RO should have given you the number of targets and round count during the briefing so I always recommend the first thing you do during your walk-through is to make sure to account for all the targets – sometimes the stage designer likes to hide targets in places you might not have noticed.  This portion of USPSA is sometimes a little stressful for shooters that are used IDPA because there are usually more targets and when you’re new, the stage plan might be obvious.  You might also feel some pressure as time is winding down on the walk-through and you still haven’t quite figured out what to do.  If you decide to shoot production, just try to break the stage up into groups of 4 or 5 targets per position and reload while moving to the next position.  I shoot production and carry four spare mags on my belt and have yet to go for the fourth.

• 2 weeks later...

Id take atleast 250 rounds just to be on the safe side. I originally started off with USPSA and now shoot both IDPA and USPSA. The more shooting you do the better you will get. I also like the differnent atmospheres that IDPA and USPSA have.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely prefer USPSA myself. IDPDA has a bunch of silly rules and tries to incorporate vague and unrealistic "tactics" such as target order, shooting from cover, mag change rules, no "air gunning." Like who the hell cares if you hold up your finger while you walk a stage? LOL I obviously have disdain for IDPA but I have had fun at the 2 i shot. 

It is tough to shoot 32 round stages relatively unfettered with equipment restrictions, non-safety rules, and fishing apparel and then go back & shoot IDPA.

That is not to imply that both sports can not be fun. 

On 8/6/2018 at 1:47 PM, SweetToof said:

... Like who the hell cares if you hold up your finger while you walk a stage?...

What surprised me was that they don't even allow one to walk the stages prior to the match starting. 

I started shooting late in life and just enjoy shooting no matter what it is.  I started shooting IDPA 10 years ago and four years ago I started shooting USPSA and love it.  It is easy to go from IDPA to USPSA, but harder to back to IDPA after shooting a USPSA match.  There are some very good shooters in IDPA, but the caliber of shooter in USPSA is much higher.  All I can say is I shot both, I have fun, and meet a lot of great people.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:38 PM, RangerTrace said:

I shot USPSA for about 8 years before I tried my first IDPA match.  Certainly, IDPA has more rules, but there is also far less gaming.  I like it, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  

Baaaaahahahahahaha. You should be... you should be.

Are you drawing social security now Tracy? 

Edited by 3gunDQ
Added Social security stab