Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer or firing pin issue CZ Shadow 2?

Shrek1

So I reload using CCI 500 primers with approx 3.3gn titegroup and 135 gn bluebullets. Using an extended firingpin with a reduced firing pin spring and 11 lbs hammer spring. Had no issues until yesterday and again today. The bullets were not firing and there was an indent in the primer, but all would fire after multiple (2-3) DA strikes. 

Possible issues - need heavier hammer spring, primers are bad. 

Any thoughts or recommendations to fix this issue would be appreciatted. 

Thanks

Light primer strikes due to the 11.5# hammer spring.

However, I don’t have any problem lighting off CCI primers with the same setup (11.5# hammer spring, extended firing pin and reduced firing pin spring). I clean the firing pin each time I clean my gun and also use compressed air to blow any dirt inside the firing pin channel.

I'm using a stock FP with RP FP spring with a 10lb mainspring and stock hammer. I shot about 1500rnds with 100% ignition with cci primers.

my FP channel had a lot of tooling chatter and  I polished it and the FP. Also, make sure you are seating your primers fully. All this light primer issues had me scared so I recently installed a wide competition hammer. 

On 5/28/2018 at 1:25 PM, Shrek1 said:

So I reload using CCI 500 primers with approx 3.3gn titegroup and 135 gn bluebullets. Using an extended firingpin with a reduced firing pin spring and 11 lbs hammer spring. Had no issues until yesterday and again today. The bullets were not firing and there was an indent in the primer, but all would fire after multiple (2-3) DA strikes. 

Possible issues - need heavier hammer spring, primers are bad. 

Any thoughts or recommendations to fix this issue would be appreciatted. 

Thanks

What reloading machine are you using? Make sure you are seating your primers properly. If they are seated high, you’ll have light primer strikes like you’re experiencing.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, George16 said:

What reloading machine are you using? Make sure you are seating your primers properly. If they are seated high, you’ll have light primer strikes like you’re experiencing.

Surprisingly they are seated to low is what i have found

I've been using an 11lb hammer spring for years, along with the super light firing pin spring from CZUB, zero issues with CCI unless I don't seat them deep enough. If I am loading Federals on my machines I have to back the punch off slightly, and if I forget to screw it back in for the CCIs I run into the odd light strike. I do not use an extended firing pin, I think they are a waste of money. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

I Had the same issue and it was high primers. 

That set up should light Fed and Win primers no problem and over 90% with cci

Thanks, fixed the issue, primers weren't getting seated properly and using Winchester primers as well.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, slavex said:

I've been using an 11lb hammer spring for years, along with the super light firing pin spring from CZUB, zero issues with CCI unless I don't seat them deep enough. If I am loading Federals on my machines I have to back the punch off slightly, and if I forget to screw it back in for the CCIs I run into the odd light strike. I do not use an extended firing pin, I think they are a waste of money. 

That was the issue I was having. Thank you for the information