Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Safety's

DKnoch

I screwed up factory safety and had to cut it off. I learned a lesson about using the correct punch though. Anyway need a new safety now and was looking at single sided (not the extended) safety. I don't need the safety shooting production. Few questions about it, is that single sided safety production legal? I'm assuming so with new rules? Also anyone know how it secures to the gun? I'm assuming I'll need same type of roll pin that was in my cut off ambi safety?

It's legal. The safeties are retained by the leg of the sear spring that you flip up when you do a disassembly. The ambi side, if you use one, is retained by a roll pin.

Standard single sided safety & the flat unica safety are both USPSA production legal as I understand the current rules. I like the flat for more thumb room and near zero chance of accidentally bumping the safety on during a stage. 

The standard safety you can get for about $30 & the unica for about $45. Being a cheap arse with a dremel & a tube of touch up blue, I buy the standard safetys & then make them a flat safety. You will probably need to file a smidge more clearance off the top of the square piece attached to the rod, it is a try it and see thing & not a big deal.  

Can I just cut the post off that protruded for the ambi part and use that as a single sided safety then? Seems like that would probably work from what you are saying about single sided safeties

I can't think of any reason why not.  I sold my double sided safeties here but it sounds like yours is already messed up so nothing to lose.

The sear spring often gets left in the wrong position & you can screw it up when you rack your slide with it up I think (haven't tested that) , a very small Phillips screwdriver works great for catching the end of the spring. 

I cut mine earlier so the post wouldn't protrude past right side of frame. Only issue is theres a few little spots on frame where right safety was. I may replace ambi to cover up or try to buff marks out, but at least I can use my gun without having to order a new safety now. Thanks for help all

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, stickboy44 said:

So as of the updated rules for production, can grind my safties flat? I don't want the single sided flat safety .

I would like to say yes, but would feel better telling you to just buy the Unica flats from Patriot Defense. 

https://patriotdefense.com/product/unica-tanfoglio-flat-safety/

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases,

slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors

MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

Since it is legal to replace a thumb safety with an aftermarket thumb safety I think that Troy would be on the side of saying that you can make your own aftermarket thumb safety. 

From the 2004 book page 57, "Aftermarket ....... Items not manufactured by, or available directly from, the Original Firearms Manufacturer. (See OFM). "

I just can not see a rules problem, but if you want then please send me your safety and $50.00 and I will return an aftermarket safety. 

13 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases,

slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors

MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

Since it is legal to replace a thumb safety with an aftermarket thumb safety I think that Troy would be on the side of saying that you can make your own aftermarket thumb safety. 

From the 2004 book page 57, "Aftermarket ....... Items not manufactured by, or available directly from, the Original Firearms Manufacturer. (See OFM). "

I just can not see a rules problem, but if you want then please send me your safety and $50.00 and I will return an aftermarket safety. 

So .... can the speedshooter.com thumb rest slide stop be used?  Probably not in production, but in CO it doesn't have to fit in the box...

hmmmmmm

Edited by johnbu

55 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

The unica safety is drop in if you fit the sear. I’m guessing you chose to fit the safety

Fitting the safety was easy for me. If you consider grind install check a couple or 3 times easy. 

On 8/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

If you like the gun without a safety, just chop the shaft off flush. I was happy with the factory ambi safety, so I never messed with them.

That sounds aggressive... IF I did do anything, it would be something that emulates the unica, not a chop. 

54 minutes ago, pbRex said:

That sounds aggressive... IF I did do anything, it would be something that emulates the unica, not a chop. 

He's talking about taking the right side safety off if you're a lefty if you don't want a safety.

5 minutes ago, Polymer said:

He's talking about taking the right side safety off if you're a lefty if you don't want a safety.

@Polymer I totally get what Memphis meant but to me that wouldn't look ideal.  I would much rather make it look like something from the factory.  

Edited by pbRex

1 hour ago, pbRex said:

@Polymer I totally get what Memphis meant but to me that wouldn't look ideal.  I would much rather make it look like something from the factory.  

It'll just look like the single side safety that is sold, single side meaning left side safety. But yes, no flush\unica safety for the right side.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:05 PM, pbRex said:

The gun often is available without a right side safety. Since looks seem to be important, that looks more factory than your factoryish plans.