Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing Dillon press.

This thread is piggy backing on my thread about jamming issue. Has anybody had nothing but issues with their Dillon 650 and has anyone had the press replaced. 

Mine broke again today and it’s the first time using it since I got it back from Dillon. Not happy about this at all. I’ve had nothing but issues with this press since I bought it from Dillon. Multiple parts and problems dillon n was good to send parts for problems but when it went back to thema couple months ago they replaced pretty much everything except the frame. It was working great for about 2200 rds then it locked up. Wouldn’t go up or down platform has a lot of movement in it finally was able to get the ram down and shell plate off but it was hard to get it down. Checked it out shell plate back on tried it and it went up locked up and broke the plastic ring also case feeder arm wouldn’t move and I had to force it down. Checked platform screws they were tight but it moved a lot. Have no clue what’s wrong with this damn thing now. I am pretty pissed off now. I am thinking this press is beyond fixing and needs to be replaced. Don’t like using the term lemon but maybe I got one of the only few that’s out there. My other 650 never has any issues so that’s why I say this about this press. It’s just not right. I am hoping Dillon resolves this matter quickly because this isn’t right what’s going on with this. 

Had my 650 for a few months now.. only put ~2K 223 rounds thru it, but have not had any functional issues other than some spilled powder for the powder funnel.

What caliber are you reloading out of curiosity?  At this point, I would talk to Dillon about getting a new 650 and chalk yours up to a lemon...

19 minutes ago, Chris777 said:

Had my 650 for a few months now.. only put ~2K 223 rounds thru it, but have not had any functional issues other than some spilled powder for the powder funnel.

What caliber are you reloading out of curiosity?  At this point, I would talk to Dillon about getting a new 650 and chalk yours up to a lemon...

Dedicated to 40 only and most of that is for me comp rds. Somethings not right with it. 

My 2nd 650 I reload 223and 300 blkout and it’s older and never had 1 issue. 

Pistol press I’ve always had issues since buying and after getting it back from Dillon thought after them having it it’ll be good. Well that’s not the case and that’s why I am thinking it’s beyond fixing now and It’s a lemon. 

13 minutes ago, ExStreetWalker said:

Are you lubing the press?

Yes. I have 3 Dillon presses which 2 are 650s. This press has had problems since I bought it. Other 2 no issues in 10 years. But the one is 5-6 years old and hasn’t been right since I bought it from Dillon many parts and fixes and calls and the latest went back a couple months ago and Dillon had it for 2 weeks. Used it today and was working great till about 2k rds and it broke again. It’s just not right. I think it’s kore than the platform now I think it’s that and the frame itself is screwed up. Don’t really know for sure but I do know it needs to be replaced at this point. Fixes are not working. 

I had some issues with the 650 at first. Mostly with the shell plate bolt tightening up, and then with the ejection due to the needle bearing that I used to attempt to fix the shell plate tightening up. Even then I would have issues with it tightening up.

I finally got it solve completely when I got the brass oilite washer. I tighten it down completely and then loosen until the shell plate just barely moves. I then tighten the heck out of the set screw that prevents the shell plate bolt. Now it works like a charm and my issues are brass related (380 and 38 super brass in my 9mm).

16 minutes ago, dillon said:

It sounds like the stamped steel loaded cartridge chute/bracket got bent, and is interfering with the platform movement. Check the clearance there first.

I know I've had this happen when I use the larger acro bins, as opposed to the XL 650 sized ones, which I do because they hold more rounds.  Unfortunately they can also bend that bracket because they hold more rounds...

1 hour ago, dillon said:

It sounds like the stamped steel loaded cartridge chute/bracket got bent, and is interfering with the platform movement. Check the clearance there first.

I "almost" had this happen as well. Switched back to the 650 bins when I saw what might happen.

This has happened before and I check the chute after loading for a while. I think my issue is still with the platform. But last time it went back it was changed. I am thinking the ram or the frame itself is not in spec. Unfortunately it’s going back to dillon again. Gentlemen I spoke to at Dillon today said they want it back again. When we were talking he brung up a ? But I said I could see that happening if I was a novice just starting to reload but I told him I have 3 dillons and my other 650 and 550 never in over 10 years has had any issues. And several buddies which one loads over 50,000 rds a year on a 650 hasn’t had any issues like I’ve been having. I know how the presses work but am truly stumped by this press. Dillon said they have a jig to check frame so I hope they do it this time cause I think they just rebuilt and put new stuff last time cause frame was untouched. Believe me I hate to keep bugging them and sending this back cause it’s 70 bucks again in less than 2 months but I think with this time like man said that it’s gonna get extra attention which I hope cause I think we agreed that next step would be replacement cause I can’t keep sending this press back and forth. So packing it up and sending it off. Again I just don’t get all the issues with this press somethings just not right with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Press check ning back to me for the 2nd time. It was I really quick turnaround though. They had it Friday to this Sunday. Shipped it back today. I am thinking it maybe be a complete new press. If not I hope it’s goid to go. They’ve been very helpful with it. I think they even agreed this last time that if you isn’t right again it’s gonna get changed out. Will see Thursday if it’s same one or new one. Anyway I hope it’s just right. 

I am rather curious.

I have to share my thinking on what I've read

the design of the press is pretty simple.

While I can think up many ways the press can break.

I am trying to think up a way that causes the jamming you describe, Dirtchevy841.

not an insult, nor do I think you are hiding anything

just thinking through the puzzle you present.

the first think I thought was the frame has a crack.

I can't figure out where it would have to be.  

the machine/press would flex and cause the crack to get worse.

so if there is a crack it is along the ram perhaps.

and I would guess that your pulling on the handle (what everyone does, you ain't special here.)

also shifts the ram... again, it should get worse each time it happens...

thus I am curious also.

victor  

42 minutes ago, Miranda said:

I am rather curious.

I have to share my thinking on what I've read

the design of the press is pretty simple.

While I can think up many ways the press can break.

I am trying to think up a way that causes the jamming you describe, Dirtchevy841.

not an insult, nor do I think you are hiding anything

just thinking through the puzzle you present.

the first think I thought was the frame has a crack.

I can't figure out where it would have to be.  

the machine/press would flex and cause the crack to get worse.

so if there is a crack it is along the ram perhaps.

and I would guess that your pulling on the handle (what everyone does, you ain't special here.)

also shifts the ram... again, it should get worse each time it happens...

thus I am curious also.

victor  

I agree. I am baffled. Have 2 other dillons and ones another 650. I found out the first time they didn’t take apart frame this time they said they would. I said the same thing it’s pretty simple but why all the issues when I talked to dillon the 2nd time. This time I’ll call them back to see what they did or what they found before I put it back together. 

22 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Press check ning back to me for the 2nd time. It was I really quick turnaround though. They had it Friday to this Sunday. Shipped it back today. I am thinking it maybe be a complete new press. If not I hope it’s goid to go. They’ve been very helpful with it. I think they even agreed this last time that if you isn’t right again it’s gonna get changed out. Will see Thursday if it’s same one or new one. Anyway I hope it’s just right. 

I dropped my 20+year old 650 off  to Dillon for their clean and relube service and told them about the various issues I had, a week later I got a box from them and instead of refurbishing my old press, they sent me a new one

58 minutes ago, rishii said:

I dropped my 20+year old 650 off  to Dillon for their clean and relube service and told them about the various issues I had, a week later I got a box from them and instead of refurbishing my old press, they sent me a new one

Nice I heard things like that. I am not worried cause it’ll get right. Plus I am a dillon guy and just added my 4th dillon press Friday. A sdb for my son. He wanted his own press ? 

On 6/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Nice I heard things like that. I am not worried cause it’ll get right. Plus I am a dillon guy and just added my 4th dillon press Friday. A sdb for my son. He wanted his own press ? 

Any ETA from Dillon on when you can expect it's return?  I'm anxious to see how it turns out (not as anxious as you are, I'm sure!).

11 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Any ETA from Dillon on when you can expect it's return?  I'm anxious to see how it turns out (not as anxious as you are, I'm sure!).

It was delivered today gonna check it out tonight. Man I hope it’s right this time. 

We’ll its the same press not a new one wasn’t really expecting a new anyway but it would’ve been nice to see. I am curious as to why the turnaround was so short this time when it was almost 3 weeks last time. Only one way to find out put it all back together again and pray it’s right. Just won’t get my hopes up to high this time. 

Best case scenario: their resident expert took one look at it, saw the problem and fixed it.

Worst case scenario: their resident dummy took one look at it, couldn't remember what he doing and sent it back.

Hope it's the former and not the latter.