Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switching ammo in shotgun stage

20 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Do...or...do not..........There is no try......

(I can't believe I just quoted Yoda..Lol)

The shotgun in my opinion is the most important gun in 3-gun to not have a miss. I do whatever is necessary to avoid this. The single most important aspect of witch is your pre stage plan and visualization. This does NOT include a miss or make up shot. Its the most difficult concept I have tried to instill in shooters. Once the lightbulb comes on though, scores go up substantially.

This is true especially if the loads are mixed- slug, slug, buck, bird, ,bird, slug, etc. If you get frustrated with a miss it can be very confusing, especially to a novice competitor. Start with easy matches and then work up to more complex ones with mixed loads. Best if you take your time and do not miss.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

As a stage designer, I don't shy away from mixed-ammo shotgun stages, but I don't want to set the shooter up for failure (or create an unsafe situation for everyone else on the range). I try really hard to avoid the shooter being in a position where they can shoot close steel with a slug - ideally I have them start or finish on slug targets, and make the immediately adjacent birdshot targets static clays rather than steel (or really small steel, so less chance of a slug hit). It's not impossible to screw up (we have some very creative competitors), but I like to think it is a lot harder on my stages.

This. Why risk the danger and damaging the steel when you might have hundreds of shooters?

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, recoilchamp said:

This. Why risk the danger and damaging the steel when you might have hundreds of shooters?

Stage design is a big consideration. I have been to a few of the bigger matches and stage design quite often plays in to your skill level, at the local level too. That is, there's almost always options on how to shoot it. You must weigh the risk vs reward. If you are a beginner and mixed loading is not something you have practiced and mastered.........Don't do it........I have yet to see a stage that forced you to shoot with mixed loading.

"A mans gotta know his limitations".

• 9 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 9:47 AM, Don_B said:

To start with I would strongly suggest that they be different colors so you can identify at a glance that you grabbed the right, or wrong, ammo. This can prevent a DQ for a slug on too close steel. 

Yep

• 2 months later...

I try to shoot the slugs first or last if possible.  If they come in the middle, you have to keep track of the shot count which can be difficult.  You can always put extra rounds into the berm if needed.

• 2 years later...
On 9/20/2023 at 9:04 PM, Runswithwood1 said:

Some guys can manage to load separate slugs and bird in a same quad load but that's a little beyond my mental capacity mid stage

That all has to happen pre-stage. You've got to have a very rigid plan and then execute it perfect. Any misses or mid stage thinking and it all goes to hell quick.