Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
bjames3gun

switching ammo in shotgun stage

I have a couple of matches coming up where I will need to switch from birdshot to slug/buck or vice versa on the same stage.  Any drills or advice on how to do this quickly is appreciated.

To start with I would strongly suggest that they be different colors so you can identify at a glance that you grabbed the right, or wrong, ammo. This can prevent a DQ for a slug on too close steel. 

10 minutes ago, Don_B said:

To start with I would strongly suggest that they be different colors so you can identify at a glance that you grabbed the right, or wrong, ammo. This can prevent a DQ for a slug on too close steel. 

Thats exactly what I did yesterday......not the DQ part.

It saved me a DQ once when I forgot about a speedloaders of slugs on my belt from the previous stage. I will always have different color slugs and buckshot. 

Posted (edited)

If you need to switch in the middle of a stage, load the different shells (slug or birdshot) into the magazine tube then just fire the shell currently in the chamber into the berm.

If you load two slugs and get your hit on #1, burn the extra one into the berm. Or I guess you could save $1 and pull the charging handle to get rid of it

I saw a guy take out a piece of close knockdown steel with a slug from his matchsaver yesterday. There shouldn't have been any slugs on that stage so I'm guessing he put it there by accident

Edited by DesertTortoise

2 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

If you need to switch in the middle of a stage, load the different shells (slug or birdshot) into the magazine tube then just fire the shell currently in the chamber into the berm.

If you load two slugs and get your hit on #1, burn the extra one into the berm. Or I guess you could save $1 and pull the charging handle to get rid of it

I saw a guy take out a piece of close knockdown steel with a slug from his matchsaver yesterday. There shouldn't have been any slugs on that stage so I'm guessing he put it there by accident

That's what I thought.  I'm thinking I'll put the slugs on a different caddy on my belt as well.  Thanks for the useful info.

22 hours ago, bjames3gun said:

That's what I thought.  I'm thinking I'll put the slugs on a different caddy on my belt as well.  Thanks for the useful info.

I have a separate caddy for slugs and they are different color.

If you can start with the slugs, shoot them first and do not deviate from your plan, if you must use the slugs in the middle of the stage, save one birdshot target and load the slugs, shoot the bird target and then shoot slugs. As others have mentioned, use different color slugs and place them in a different place on your vest/belt. I usually place slugs so that I have to reach for them, not in the first place my hand would go for shells, unless it is an all slug stage.

Hurley

46 minutes ago, HRider said:

I usually place slugs so that I have to reach for them, not in the first place my hand would go for shells, unless it is an all slug stage.

Hurley

^^^This^^^ is good advice.  I never want my slugs, or buckshot, in a place that is too familiar, it should be a conscious decision to reach for them.

My preferred method for switching to slugs in the middle or a the end of the stage (M2) is to load slugs (I weak load) then Tab and Rack. Tab will place slug on the lifter and Rack will rack out bird and load Slug. Tab and Rack motion is very quick and both operations are done at the same time.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, HRider said:

If you can start with the slugs, shoot them first and do not deviate from your plan

Do not deviate from your plan is really important. I almost got a DQ last week because I changed plans midstream, luckily I caught my mistake at the last second and didn't take the shot.