Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switching ammo in shotgun stage

To start with I would strongly suggest that they be different colors so you can identify at a glance that you grabbed the right, or wrong, ammo. This can prevent a DQ for a slug on too close steel. 

10 minutes ago, Don_B said:

To start with I would strongly suggest that they be different colors so you can identify at a glance that you grabbed the right, or wrong, ammo. This can prevent a DQ for a slug on too close steel. 

Thats exactly what I did yesterday......not the DQ part.

It saved me a DQ once when I forgot about a speedloaders of slugs on my belt from the previous stage. I will always have different color slugs and buckshot. 

If you need to switch in the middle of a stage, load the different shells (slug or birdshot) into the magazine tube then just fire the shell currently in the chamber into the berm.

If you load two slugs and get your hit on #1, burn the extra one into the berm. Or I guess you could save $1 and pull the charging handle to get rid of it

I saw a guy take out a piece of close knockdown steel with a slug from his matchsaver yesterday. There shouldn't have been any slugs on that stage so I'm guessing he put it there by accident

Edited by DesertTortoise

2 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

If you need to switch in the middle of a stage, load the different shells (slug or birdshot) into the magazine tube then just fire the shell currently in the chamber into the berm.

If you load two slugs and get your hit on #1, burn the extra one into the berm. Or I guess you could save $1 and pull the charging handle to get rid of it

I saw a guy take out a piece of close knockdown steel with a slug from his matchsaver yesterday. There shouldn't have been any slugs on that stage so I'm guessing he put it there by accident

That's what I thought.  I'm thinking I'll put the slugs on a different caddy on my belt as well.  Thanks for the useful info.

22 hours ago, bjames3gun said:

That's what I thought.  I'm thinking I'll put the slugs on a different caddy on my belt as well.  Thanks for the useful info.

I have a separate caddy for slugs and they are different color.

If you can start with the slugs, shoot them first and do not deviate from your plan, if you must use the slugs in the middle of the stage, save one birdshot target and load the slugs, shoot the bird target and then shoot slugs. As others have mentioned, use different color slugs and place them in a different place on your vest/belt. I usually place slugs so that I have to reach for them, not in the first place my hand would go for shells, unless it is an all slug stage.

Hurley

46 minutes ago, HRider said:

I usually place slugs so that I have to reach for them, not in the first place my hand would go for shells, unless it is an all slug stage.

Hurley

^^^This^^^ is good advice.  I never want my slugs, or buckshot, in a place that is too familiar, it should be a conscious decision to reach for them.

• 2 weeks later...

My preferred method for switching to slugs in the middle or a the end of the stage (M2) is to load slugs (I weak load) then Tab and Rack. Tab will place slug on the lifter and Rack will rack out bird and load Slug. Tab and Rack motion is very quick and both operations are done at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, HRider said:

If you can start with the slugs, shoot them first and do not deviate from your plan

Do not deviate from your plan is really important. I almost got a DQ last week because I changed plans midstream, luckily I caught my mistake at the last second and didn't take the shot.

• 2 months later...

The biggest obstical to overcome is excess make up shots, and planning so that make up shots do not affect your slug loading.

Keep extra shells handy on your belt to top off and make sure you have enough. 

If you try and plan to load slugs, then shoot the bird out of the chamber, you will shoot the amount of slugs you loaded, and be left with bird.

The more you candy cane different shells, the higher the chance to mess it up. 

I like the idea of keeping buckshot and slugs in their own carrier.  The carrier is situated in a different location  on my belt to as not to confuse them with birdshot.  I can load just as slowly either right or left handed.

I also try to shot slug either first or last.  I load one more slug than is needed in case I need a make up shot.  I'll either burn it into the berm --some matches might not allow this---or rack it out.  I am not winning any stages so the extra time is fine.

For safety, the hulls should be different colors.  I ask this question:  have any of you shot a 3gun match or multigun match at Universal shooting academy with Shannon Smith?  The reason I ask is, while I recommend keeping the shells separated, there are times that you need to mix slugs and shells in the same tube.  If you ever shoot one of his matches, you'll find out why.  You just need to have a rock solid stage plan and engagement plan (and don't miss).  I'm not talking 10 rounds but something like 1 slug, 4 bird and 1 slug.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The fastest is to “candy cane” or “rainbow” the load if it is a mixed bird and slug stage, but it is also the most dangerous. One make up shot and your whole sequence can but destroyed. 

I have done several candy canes, but it is usually at the beginning or end of a stage to eliminate possible mix ups. I prefer to run all of the slugs in one set even if it means a longer or harder shot on one of them to prevent the possible DQ or target destruction. 

I also agree with the thought that if you are not sure of your sequence, then burn it into a safe area and reset the load. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Step 1: Make a good plan, including mixed loading, separate carriers for buck and slugs that are different colors. Rehearse the plan in your head, visualizing each shot over and over until called to shoot.

Step 2: Execute the plan

Step 3: DO NOT deviate from the plan.

Step 4: DO NOT miss.......

unnecessary and potentially dangerous/dq situation circus act in my opinion.  i know 3 gun ain't real life, but pretty sure little to none are swapping out shotgun ammo varieties while under fire.

• 5 months later...

Different color ammo is a big help for easy identification.  You really need to factor in how difficult the shots are and how confident you are in your ability to keep your stage plan straight.  Mixing the shells in the tube has potential for error if you miss and try to pick up a shot w. the wrong ammo.

I'd suggest for a newer shooter to stick w. simpler stage and loading plans as opposed to more complex.  An option is always to load and shoot as you plan on making all your hits and simply keep going if you miss.  Mixing two kinds of ammo can get tough and three gets really hard.

A larger than necessary tube to allow 12 rounds also gives some cushion in the ability to load what you need on top of what you have and then burn or rack out whats in the chamber.

I typically load slugs from a 4 rd caddie or two weak hand and quad load bird shot from separate shell holders w. different color bird, slug and buck.  

• 4 months later...

As a stage designer, I don't shy away from mixed-ammo shotgun stages, but I don't want to set the shooter up for failure (or create an unsafe situation for everyone else on the range). I try really hard to avoid the shooter being in a position where they can shoot close steel with a slug - ideally I have them start or finish on slug targets, and make the immediately adjacent birdshot targets static clays rather than steel (or really small steel, so less chance of a slug hit). It's not impossible to screw up (we have some very creative competitors), but I like to think it is a lot harder on my stages.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I find the 2 shell holder from safariland to be very handy for sticking in a slug when i need to slug paper in the middle of bird targets, without having to candy cane. Or for makeup slug shots. Best $10 item I have bought for 3-Gun. Also the only $10 item I have bought for 3-Gun...

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Safariland-Shot-Shell-Holder-P5138.aspx

Load your mag tube according to the targets- I.e.- slug, slug, bird, bird, slug, slug, etc but have your ammo arranged in a place on your belt/chest rig so you know where to grab and load the proper shell when reloading or making up a shot. If you miss a target load a shell in the mag tube and burn the one in the chamber to make up for the miss. Try not to miss!!!!!!!

On 4/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, verla said:

Load your mag tube according to the targets- I.e.- slug, slug, bird, bird, slug, slug, etc but have your ammo arranged in a place on your belt/chest rig so you know where to grab and load the proper shell when reloading or making up a shot. If you miss a target load a shell in the mag tube and burn the one in the chamber to make up for the miss. Try not to miss!!!!!!!

Do...or...do not..........There is no try......

(I can't believe I just quoted Yoda..Lol)

The shotgun in my opinion is the most important gun in 3-gun to not have a miss. I do whatever is necessary to avoid this. The single most important aspect of witch is your pre stage plan and visualization. This does NOT include a miss or make up shot. Its the most difficult concept I have tried to instill in shooters. Once the lightbulb comes on though, scores go up substantially.