Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL load questions/issues?

Having just switched to the tanfo platform I am having huge issues with my rounds being to long. It was such a pain in the ass to get out of the gun. What is the safe OAL to load to? It seems really really short.

Edit: 9MM stock2

Edited by colby_attack

Easiest way is to remove your barrel and use it to "plunk" test a dummy round ie seat a bullet in an empty case, drop it into the chamber, push down on the round then flip the barrel end over and see if it falls out freely. If it gets hung up, give your seating die a 1/4 turn snd repeat until the round drops freely. Start with a 10% less than your regular powder load and build up a few batches, increasing powder weight to your regular load. Chrony and check for pressure signs on the spent cases, obviously starting from the lower powder ones first.

Reason being, different manufacturers of bullets have different ogive profiles. So someone might give you a seating depth for Berrys when you're using Zeros etc.

congrats on the S2! :) 

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

Generally 1.10” with 124/5 round nose. I don’t load 147 so, no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using 125 blue bullets so I will have to give it a shot! 

Not looking forward to smooshing in 3k rounds I already have loaded.

13 minutes ago, Trinimon said:

Easiest way is to remove your barrel and use it to "plunk" test a dummy round ie seat a bullet in an empty case, drop it into the chamber, push down on the round then flip the barrel end over and see if it falls out freely. If it gets hung up, give your seating die a 1/4 turn snd repeat until the round drops freely. Start with a 10% less than your regular powder load and build up a few batches, increasing powder weight to your regular load. Chrony and check for pressure signs on the spent cases, obviously starting from the lower powder ones first.

Reason being, different manufacturers of bullets have different ogive profiles. So someone might give you a seating depth for Berrys when you're using Zeros etc.

congrats on the S2! :) 

I am running a fairly low power load, 4.4g of Unique so I think I should be fine. I don't have a chrono, so I am going based on feel.

I am going to have to test it out and play for the plunk. I think mine are at 1.135 right now.

1 hour ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Loading 1,117-1,118 with 147's and 124's best result, lot's all barrels.

I played with a bunch and they seem to all like that range. Now I just need to rig my press to just reseat the bullet.

Edited by colby_attack

4 hours ago, Trinimon said:

"plunk" test a dummy round

different manufacturers of bullets have different ogive profiles. So someone might give you a seating depth for Berrys when you're using Zeros etc.

+1.   Each bullet requires a Plunk Test to make sure it will PLUNK    :) 

5 hours ago, colby_attack said:

I am using 125 blue bullets so I will have to give it a shot! 

Not looking forward to smooshing in 3k rounds I already have loaded.

I am running a fairly low power load, 4.4g of Unique so I think I should be fine. I don't have a chrono, so I am going based on feel.

I am going to have to test it out and play for the plunk. I think mine are at 1.135 right now.

Tanfo barrels (like cz) are made to CIP standard and not saami.  either load short to pass plunk test, or send it to Patriot Defense and have it reamed. Provide your longest, fatest bullet in a DUMMY round. Then they can guarantee it will fit. Cost is like 45 bucks and turned same or next day.

I will have to do that eventually. I have matches coming up every weekend for a while. 

I was able to take my press and I just run the seating die again and get it straightened out to 1.115-8 and that seems to plunk fine. Going to test fire tomorrow. 

Will PD just Bring to SAAMI default?

I will have to do that eventually. I have matches coming up every weekend for a while. 

I was able to take my press and I just run the seating die again and get it straightened out to 1.115-8 and that seems to plunk fine. Going to test fire tomorrow. 

Will PD just Bring to SAAMI default?
They do an extremely fast turnaround! I had mine back in 4 days, and I believe it was the best improvement to my Tanfo. They are awesome people.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Kurusty said:

They do an extremely fast turnaround! I had mine back in 4 days, and I believe it was the best improvement to my Tanfo. They are awesome people.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yep, me too. Got my Limited Custom barrel back yesterday. It will now plunk and rotate the 147s with ease.

And, like Memphis said on another topic. It can improve primer strikes on some guns. 

JoAnna charged me $39, and included shipping.