Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA rule 5.2.3 clarification

molson

All,

Thoughts on this.

Lately, I have been seeing more and more competitors that do not have their belts through belt loops, or an inner belt through belt loops and the outer attached to the inner.  Spoke to a match director about it and he states that the rules do not require this anymore with the latest update.  I have the update:

5.2.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and allied
equipment must be worn during the course of fire; the belt must be worn at the waist
level, which is deemed to be at the same level as the original belt loops on the lower
garment. (See 5.2.3.1 for exceptions.) The belt or the inner belt or both must be either
securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops. The belt may
be removed between courses of fire.

Rewrote the rule to clarify belt wear and usage. Added definition of “securely fixed” to the
glossary.
Rule rewritten to define at the waist or waist level. Definition added to the glossary.

5.2.3.1 Lady competitors are permitted to wear a belt, holster and allied equipment at hip
level, however, the top of the belt must not be positioned below the furthest lateral
point of the top of the femur (tuberosity major).

My question for you that are smarter than me.  Do you read the rules this way?  That it is not longer required to have the belt through belt loops?   I think it comes down the what does "Securely Fixed" at the waist mean.

According to the glossary:

Securely Fixed (belt): The belt doesn't move when either the gun or a magazine is drawn from it
without using both hands.

Curious as to the thoughts of MD's, RM's, and generally everyone.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes as long as the belt isn't sliding way up when they draw they are fine.
I get a few shooters wearing their belts over their rain gear in the winter. And they all seem to be able to get it to be secure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.  It is just odd seeing it more now than in the last 13 years I have been participating in this game.

Mike

Edited by molson

We have a competitor in NC that never uses belt loops... due to his anatomical characteristics, his belt never moves...
He posted a video somewhere....

George is right it hasn’t changed since the 2008 (with changes) rule book..

Had a friend RO'ing at an outlaw 3-gun match and someone was wearing his pistol belt on top of the belt loops, but it was a belt with a QR buckle.  He bumped it wrong and the whole thing fell right off for a lovely trip to Dairy Queen.