Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning dies

What do you suggest for cleaning the inside of my DIllon dies. Some of them are pretty gunked up. I watched a video that recommended Hornaday One Shot over Breakfree CLP or Ballistol becaue One Shot evaporates and the others do not.

What say you?

I use Brake Kleen for the few times I've cleaned the dies over the  200K rounds I've run through them. I clean the powder funnel more often, but that just gets a wipe with a paper towel.

How often do you clean the dies?  

I've only been reloading about 2 years (approx 10k 223 and 4k 9mm) and haven't noticed them being dirty ... but I haven't really looked either.

1 hour ago, emjbe said:

How often do you clean the dies?  

I've only been reloading about 2 years (approx 10k 223 and 4k 9mm) and haven't noticed them being dirty ... but I haven't really looked either.

They are probably dirtier than you imagine. Work some slivers of paper towel or qtip up in there and see

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

They are probably dirtier than you imagine. Work some slivers of paper towel or qtip up in there and see

My powder die (station 2) appears to be gunked up. I noticed some of my cases are a little sticky. I've concluded that I have been useing to much case lube on them.

2 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

My powder die (station 2) appears to be gunked up. I noticed some of my cases are a little sticky. I've concluded that I have been useing to much case lube on them.

I usually check that at the beginning of a reloading session and just wipe any gunk off with a paper towel.  You don't have to disassemble the die for this.  If you are using the Dillon lube make sure to let the cases air out properly before reloading the cases.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 11:53 AM, cjfung10 said:

Any issues with using an ultrasonic cleaner? Maybe a bit overkill but it can't hurt...?

I occasionally throw the whole toolhead including all the dies in the sonic. Works well but you have to double check that the die adjustments havent changed afterwards. 

Now I keep a separate toolhead (just depriming and flaring die) for case prep that I can lube all the brass, resize, deprime and bell. Throw all my dirty lubed brass in the case feeder, run through press quickly and afterwards throw the clean brass (and toolhead) in the sonic. This way I dont have lubed finished rounds to clean and the processing toolhead stays pretty clean and the brass doesnt stick and runs smoothly.

Edited by PhillySoldier