Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter - Should I do a major match?

8 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I didn't realize they were letting people shoot more than one day. I guess it didn't fill up.

I'll be there Sunday, good luck.

Thanks.  According to Practiscore, there's about 35 spots left right now.  One has to wonder if the move from WV to Southern Maryland had something to do with it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly wasn't planning on shooting it again this year until I heard it was in WV. I wanted to see that range for the first time.

Nothing wrong with the southern maryland club, but I've been there 3 times already for majors.

Get your hosing skills ready. The bays are small 

• 4 weeks later...

I started shooting almost two years ago and waited until June to shoot my first major. I wish I had gone to one sooner. I started really practicing with something to look forward to and it has motivated me to keep going. As long as you are up on your safety for USPSA I say find one and take a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, waktasz said:

I honestly wasn't planning on shooting it again this year until I heard it was in WV. I wanted to see that range for the first time.

Nothing wrong with the southern maryland club, but I've been there 3 times already for majors.

Get your hosing skills ready. The bays are small 

Yep.  They were definitely hoser stages.

• 3 weeks later...

Save your money and try to dominate local matches first. I spent a lot of money to do my first major, got DQd for a finger call, and wasted that money.

Get good locally and get your mental management right first before you hit major matches. 

Edited by telligentgunner

• 4 months later...

This has been an interesting thread for me reading through it. I started shooting USPSA last year and classified C in Production, only shooting about 6 total matches due to double retina detachment surgery in the late summer. I'm moving to Limited this year and will shoot my first match of the new season (super classified) this Thursday evening.

I've signed up for 2 level 2 matches here in Colorado (Big Horn sectional and CO state championships) as well as a yearly level 1 match that's more about crazy fun than competition. I'm thinking about doing Area 2 in November as well if I can get a spot.

The one thing I hadn't really thought about is being DQ'd on some type of technicality as mentioned earlier in the thread due to level 2 & 3 matches being more focused on stuff like that than just local matches. I'm going to have to make sure all my gear is properly set and in accordance with the rules for Limited (which are much less restrictive than Production). Plus be more conscience of safety rules as well so I don't get tossed for a dumb mistake that's avoidable.

And while doing all that, try to have fun and make some new friends. 🙂