Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter - Should I do a major match?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regardless of skill level, their is a lot to learn from attending a major match.  Any match will right now will gain you valuable experience.  Have fun and learn from it.

Shooting majors is a great experience.  You'll come back super motivated to train and know what to work on to improve.  

Do your research: know the match schedule, shoot times, squad numbers, get there a day early to walk stages, and come prepared.  

Have FUN!

Welcome to the forum and USPSA! The great thing about this sport is that there will be other "dinky" D class shooters there as well. For me, the best motivation to not be dinky is having matches on the calendar/going to matches and getting my teeth kicked in. 

I think it would be a great learning experience for you. We see a lot of guys that start shooting locally and never get outside that bubble of comfort. The guys that go shoot a big match early really see what its about and grow accordingly. 

Good luck!

18 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Coincidentally, since making the original post I've moved up to mid-C class. Still dinky, I mean, just a little less-so.

Nice! congrats! 

My first match is in two weeks. You made me start looking for majors to attend!

1 hour ago, shakin_bakin said:

Nice! congrats! 

My first match is in two weeks. You made me start looking for majors to attend!

Right on!  This stuff is addictive, and my hope is that one of these big matches will show me what is achievable by the really good shooters.  And, by extension, what I need to work on.

Right now there are two production GMs signed up, so I hope that I can check out their shooting at some point.

I was a D shooter and only shot a handful of matches back in 2013. I shot in the Gator Classic that year with 3 friends of mine. I had a lot of fun and still have one of the stage posters in my office/gun room. However I never caught the USPSA bug and have not shot in a match since then. Go and have fun. Some of the guys here are amazing shooters.

My first USPSA (3rd pistol match ever) was the Texas State (lvl2) and I ended up winning Production U.  As others have said, get as much experience as you can and don’t be afraid to get outside your comfort zone of local matches. This is a hobby after all so have fun and try new things. 

Well, in other good news I was notified last night that someone pulled out of the Area 8 championships, so I signed up for that!  I'll be in squad 104 on Thursday. 13 stages seems daunting, but I'm pumped!

2 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Well, in other good news I was notified last night that someone pulled out of the Area 8 championships, so I signed up for that!  I'll be in squad 104 on Thursday. 13 stages seems daunting, but I'm pumped!

I had a Friday slot for the taking, but couldn’t do the weekday.  I’m getting a alot next year.  

I’m new (shoot idpa but same issues being new) and just did a state shoot. I was awful! Nerves and not shooting within myself were problems. Also struggled with more complex stages and keeping my head clear. On the stand still and shoot I was fine!

Was worth doing as I got to see some very talented guys on my squad and got some helpful hints from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take all the advice you can get on here. I am a "newbie" that just passed a year as a USPSA member. I shot a major match last year and was surprised by the amount of information you can gather. Plus networking, friends, memories, etc. It was definitely worth the cost to shoot it. Plus, IMHO, I will shoot it next year and see my improvement. I kind of use the results and practiscore as my way of tracking my progress. Good luck and Guns UP!

The biggest thing to prepare for at that match will be the grind of the long day. They serve lunch and will have water, but it's best to also bring some snacks to hold you over. Chances are we will be on the range until 5:30 or later each day and if it's anything like the section match we held at that range, you can expect it to be 95 degrees all 4 days of the match. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shot the Area 8 sectionals over the weekend.  You were all right - the day was long, my feet were sore by the end of the day, but it was so FUN!  One guy on our squad didn't show up, and another was DQed after a few stages, so our squad was whittled down to about six people, which meant I had little down time in between shooters.  Fortunately the weather wasn't bad on Thursday, so the heat wasn't too much of a factor.

Overall I did okay.  Early on I got a little excited and went a bit too fast, which helped me get good scores on the first two stages, but afterwards I got a string of mikes (including SIX on one stage!) and dropped a lot of unnecessary points.  Also dropped points for completely ignoring two steel targets on a stage, as well as a target that was practically right in front of me for my very first FTSA penalty.  Whoops.  Overall I had 15 mikes.

Despite all of that, I took second in my class!  Learned a lot, had a good time, and I can't wait for the Delmarva shoot at the end of next month.

Edited by UpYoursPal

• 2 weeks later...

Classification record was updated with A8 finish.  Rad.

Also, you guys were totally right - this stuff is addictive.  I went ahead and registered for a second day at DelMarVa (Fri and Saturday), where I'll be shooting Open.  Fortunately I live somewhat close to this match so I can just drive up/drive down each day.  Hopefully I'm not too sore after the first day.

In addition to all the advice in this thread, I'm gonna do two minor things for DelMarVa: 1) Get one of those little golf caddies to carry around my crap, and 2) Bring a chair!