Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter - Should I do a major match?

I'm in Area 8 and there's a few big matches coming up.  The thing is that I've only shot like 8 matches total, and I'm currently a dinky D shooter.  Does it make sense to pony up the cash and drive 3+ hours for one of the big sectionals or state matches?  I really like shooting but I'm not sure what I'd get out of a big match.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of your skill level or match performance attending major matches will add to your overall experience. The more experience you have in attending matches the more you understand what this game is all about so you can train properly. Go to your major match and learn from the experience.

Have fun. Observe the better shooters in action. Do not try to duplicate - shoot your own pace. Listen to the R.O.s. Have fun. Soak in the environment, atmosphere. Visit the vendors. Have fun.

I wasn’t really hooked til my first major.

Will it be enough fun to be worth the cost?

Absolutely! Some guys make their desire to improve so fundamental that they forget how much they simply loved shooting at the very beginning.

Don’t try to win. Try to have fun and learn the basics.

Go for it. You'll learn a lot from the more experienced shooters. I went to my first major match after just a few months of shooting local matches. I went and shot Battle In The Bluegrass. I went for the experience and don't regret it at all. I learned a lot from this match. I got their on Friday and watched Alex Gutt shoot and was like I don't stand a chance in this match. I'll be lucky to be at 25% of his score. Then shot on Saturday on a squad with Ben Stoeger. I didn't even know who Alex or Ben was. But after shooting with Ben I realized I really needed to step up my game and practice more and learn all the fundamentals.

The only BAD thing about attending an Area match for a beginner (besides the cost

and travel time) is that you WILL be DQ'd if you do ANYTHING wrong.    :surprise:

You might have some bad habits that are ignored at the local level, or your equipment

might not be quite up to standards.   These will NOT be ignored at Area 8.  If you

have all the correct equipment, and good/safe shooting habits, no problem.

What you will get, positively, is an incredible shooting experience.   LOTS of fun

and excitement.    Get to see some excellent shooters in action, and meet some

really nice people.

AND, you will NEVER be nervous at a local match, ever again    :) 

This rings a bell!

4 years ago a friend and I decided to give steel challenge a try. So we made a set of targets and found space on my range to train. Started the end of May. Then we registered for the Pa State Championship in October! Yikes.

Had a great time!! I think I came in 10th in Open Auto!

Go for it bro!

But don't get DQ'd...

Well guys, you sold me on the idea.  I went ahead and registered for the Immortal Arms Delmarva Section USPSA Championship in September.  It’s only a level 2 match but they have 40 squads over three days!  Definitely looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 9:23 PM, UpYoursPal said:

Well guys, you sold me on the idea.  I went ahead and registered for the Immortal Arms Delmarva Section USPSA Championship in September.  It’s only a level 2 match but they have 40 squads over three days!  Definitely looking forward to it.

Always choose the most conservative stage plan that is easy to remember, even if it’s a couple of seconds longer.

Down in C and D class at big matches you can mop up simply by not getting lost in a “showoff” stage plan the others will inevitably screw up trying.

And just go have fun!

29 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Always choose the most conservative stage plan that is easy to remember, even if it’s a couple of seconds longer.

Down in C and D class at big matches you can mop up simply by not getting lost in a “showoff” stage plan the others will inevitably screw up trying.

And just go have fun!

This above. As a "C" shooter I beat a lot of A and B shooters at Nationals last year by shooting a fairly clean match (15D, 2M total) at 95+% of available raw points. It helped me a lot by showing me what to further work on. Not to mention the experience.

After shooting a handful of Local IDPA Matches, I entered the NM State Match last year.

Won Novice Revolver!

(Only Entrant)

Plaque looks nice on the wall...

Going back in MM Revolver this year.

After one Regional Match, I shot the FCSA Worlds.

I finished, and Not Last!

Go. Shoot. Have Fun.

GO Really Slow.

Make Being Safe Number One.

Have Fun.

Complete the Course of Fire.

ABSOLUTELY.

You will be a better shooter at the end of the match then when you began.

The increased complexity of stages will highlight aspects of your shooting that need working on.

Stages you thought were complex will now seem easier, increasing your ability to plan and execute.

If it is a multiday event, watch the videos of yourself from day 1 and the end of day 2 or 3... you will see an appreciable gain.

If you go in with no other expectations then to be safe and have a blast... you will highly enjoy the experience.

Have fun, be safe, shoot smooth, enjoy the experience, you can only go up from here!

Major matches are a lot of fun. I started at a tiny match and thought it was really big and exciting and now that match is just a practice session, but in all for me the whole thing is about having fun and becoming s better shooter 

• 2 weeks later...

The bigger matches are more fun i think. You see a lot more in the stage designs than you do at most small local matches. I had only been to two local matches before i went to a big match and really once you get there you realize that its really no different than a local match. At the end of the day trigger time is trigger time. 

Just shot my first major a few weeks ago, Area 7.  

I had a blast.  Got to watch and chat with the Super Squad guys for a stage after I finished up, as well as many other great shooters.  

Really gave me a drive to get better and have even more fun. 

So, yeah, go for it. 

On 5/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, UpYoursPal said:

What day/squad?

My match performance this weekend will dictate if I sign up for this.