Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ELS kit issues

So I searched on here and googles with no success.  I'm getting geared up to shoot 3gun and planning to use my Safariland ELS belt and kits.  I've got the plates mounted on my belt and forks on all of my mag pouches and shell caddies.  For some unknown reason, when I mount a fork to one of my pistol mag pouches I have a difficult time getting them in and out of the plate.  The rifle pouches and caddies work as intended.

Anybody else have this issue?

So, much as I hate to be That Guy, I do have to ask the equivalent of "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" - are you sure you don't have the forks mounted backwards? There's a small lip of raised material around the screw mounting holes on one side that provides a bit of standoff between the forks and the pouches and generally provides enough clearance to allow easy installation and removal in the receiver plate. I don't have any personal experience with the Safariland pouches, so it's possible that you'd need an additional spacer or shim on those... but I've never needed anything like that on any of the pouches that I've used. And it would seem odd that the same people who make the ELS hardware would make a mag pouch that wasn't compatible with it.

3 hours ago, Steve133 said:

So, much as I hate to be That Guy, I do have to ask the equivalent of "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" - are you sure you don't have the forks mounted backwards? There's a small lip of raised material around the screw mounting holes on one side that provides a bit of standoff between the forks and the pouches and generally provides enough clearance to allow easy installation and removal in the receiver plate. I don't have any personal experience with the Safariland pouches, so it's possible that you'd need an additional spacer or shim on those... but I've never needed anything like that on any of the pouches that I've used. And it would seem odd that the same people who make the ELS hardware would make a mag pouch that wasn't compatible with it.

No worries.  Forks are turned the right way.  The other way puts them even closer to the pouch.  I added a small washer on each side and they now slide on and off like they are supposed to.  I've never used these in a match, so I never took the time to figure it out.

I had a similar problem (challenge) when I first went to the ELS system.  I discovered that screws extended a bit further past the nut plate on the forks that were interfering/sticking, and verified that the screws were causing the interference.  I went to a shorter screw to solve my problem.