Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micro Trauma Kit for my 3-Gun Belt

I will start by saying that we participate in an exceptionally safe sport. Thousands of us run-and-gun every week, and the frequency of gunshot wounds is vanishingly small. With this being said, accidents can happen, and if they do then speed of action is crucial.

I keep a full trauma kit in my vehicle's trunk, but at some matches that could be several minutes away from the shooting location. I therefore put together a small trauma kit in a pouch with an ELS fork on the back so I can carry it on my match belt. The ELS fork lets me move the kit around according to the location of my other gear, or from one belt to another. More critically, it lets me immediately pull it from the belt location for rapid access to the contents.

In order to be unobtrusive, the pouch is only large enough to hold a QuikClot combat gauze and a RATS tourniquet - just enough to slow the blood loss until a bigger kit or a medical professional can be brought to the patient. The pouch itself is made by Condor and available from Amazon, and the ELS fork attach to it via an old aluminum bar that I pulled off a shotgun caddy (of course, any suitable substitute would work) with some suitable screws. It took me about 15 minutes to assemble. The photos below show how it came together... hope you guys find this information interesting.

xUbFNcu.jpg

vAbwR5E.jpg

ZjhNDYf.jpg

5OHkSvZ.jpg

Looks like a GREAT idea    :cheers:

I'd suggest that every RO carry one of these, at every match.

Like the idea of the full trauma kit in the trunk - as you said,

might be good idea on match day to have one or two or three

even closer to the ranges    :) 

I appreciate the fact that you specifically called out the purpose of the RATS is to "slow the blood loss until a bigger kit or a medical professional can be brought to the patient."  I assume from that statement you understand, but I think it's prudent to mention this for everyone reading:

The RATS tourniquet does NOT adequately/reliably stop blood flow and should NOT be relied on as your sole tourniquet.   I would argue they're not worth owning at all, but in this highly specific use-case (to be kept on a competition shooting belt solely as a temporary first line of defense) they're probably ok.  Virtually everyone would be better off getting a CATS or a SOFT-T, the only two tourniquets tested and recommended by the Tactical Combat Casualty Care organization.

Edited by ClangClang

This is my EDC bleed kit. Keep in mind this is to mitigate bleeding til I (or someone else) can get to my CERT pack in my vehicle.

• Swat-T Tourniquet ($15): small form factor, dual purpose (TQ/compression bandage), easier to use around area like inner thigh. #1 reason  I have this on me is it is easier for an UNTRAINED person to apply this to ME. (NOTE: there are 2 C-A-Ts in my CERT pack)

• HyFin Vent ($15): for sucking chest wounds

• Gloves/Ductape/Ziploc ($3): gloves for other peoples blood, Ductape + Ziplpoc adhoc sealing bandage (ductape is flat-wrapped around an old plastic hotel keycard)

• Quickclot Sponge ($10): self-explanatory

• Inkzall Pen ($1): to mark TQ time & write injury notes to stick on victim

• Aptus Designs Low Visibility Aid Kit (LVAK) ($30): I usually carry this on my ankle. It can be looped on a belt, worn as an armband and worn IWB. Ive also seen it wrapped around a vehicle visor or seat headrest. https://aptus-design-group.myshopify.com/

EDC_01.jpg

EDC_02.jpg

Edited by bossgvr4
I SUCK at typing

On 5/25/2018 at 11:29 PM, ClangClang said:

I appreciate the fact that you specifically called out the purpose of the RATS is to "slow the blood loss until a bigger kit or a medical professional can be brought to the patient."  I assume from that statement you understand, but I think it's prudent to mention this for everyone reading:

The RATS tourniquet does NOT adequately/reliably stop blood flow and should NOT be relied on as your sole tourniquet.   I would argue they're not worth owning at all, but in this highly specific use-case (to be kept on a competition shooting belt solely as a temporary first line of defense) they're probably ok.  Virtually everyone would be better off getting a CATS or a SOFT-T, the only two tourniquets tested and recommended by the Tactical Combat Casualty Care organization.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. The RATS was chosen specifically due to its small size, and with a clear understanding of its performance limitations.

I carry a CATS and quick clot in my range bag.  Which is always near by.  When I do run and gun I carry a CATS on my chest rig.  I tried all the tourniquets in my dark angel training.  I found it the easiest to use.