Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 115 grain solid copper HP

tires2burn

I've loaded these and I use the Barnes commercially produced 115hr +P ammo for SD. I do not have my own load data for that bullet as I lost some load data in a divorce.  Sometimes they DO get everything.  ;)

Use the Barnes data and do not exceed it.  Don't think powder XYZ will drive other 115gr bullets to 1200 feet/sec, so you should therefore be able to do that with this bullet, too.  It's a dramatically different bullet. 

SD bullets are engineered to expand at a certain rate at a certain velocity.  If you get them going to fast, they will expand too fast, decelerate in soft tissue too quickly, and underpenetrate. 

The Barnes bullet expands slowly, and so it will penetrate deeper at lower velocities.  The Barnes commercial 115gr +P is specced at 1100 feet/sec, and I think my own chronic showed them a little under that.  

I would keep average velocity at 1100 or lower, and choose a powder that allows that within SAAMI max standard pressure. 

53 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

I've loaded these and I use the Barnes commercially produced 115hr +P ammo for SD. I do not have my own load data for that bullet as I lost some load data in a divorce.  Sometimes they DO get everything.  ;)

Use the Barnes data and do not exceed it.  Don't think powder XYZ will drive other 115gr bullets to 1200 feet/sec, so you should therefore be able to do that with this bullet, too.  It's a dramatically different bullet. 

SD bullets are engineered to expand at a certain rate at a certain velocity.  If you get them going to fast, they will expand too fast, decelerate in soft tissue too quickly, and underpenetrate. 

The Barnes bullet expands slowly, and so it will penetrate deeper at lower velocities.  The Barnes commercial 115gr +P is specced at 1100 feet/sec, and I think my own chronic showed them a little under that.  

I would keep average velocity at 1100 or lower, and choose a powder that allows that within SAAMI max standard pressure. 

So far that's the plan. Barnes data is all I need and will start out with the starting load using my crony. I have Longshot  and might buy a # of  Silhouette.

SILHOUETTE

3 hours ago, tires2burn said:

Whats MINOR

The Power Floor for USPSA and IDPA, 125,000 (bullet weight times velocity). A 115 would have to go over 1,100 fps. 

Edited by 9x45

19 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

The Power Floor for USPSA and IDPA, 125,000 (bullet weight times velocity). A 115 would have to go over 1,100 fps. 

From the BARNES data I guess this bullet isn't made for competition shooting. 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm guessing that a faster powder would be more appropriate ….    ?

No, max load of Silhouette gets it to only 1040 and Longshot 1120.  You would not want to use a faster powder.  Silh is slow, and it only gets it to 1040.  You don't want it slower than that. 

If I wanted to load these for SD, I would likely load Silh at or a tenth or two over max.  

The Barnes commercial +P loads with these are minor PF gamer soft at a little under 1100 feet/sec. 

Edited by IDescribe

4 hours ago, IDescribe said:

No, max load of Silhouette gets it to only 1040 and Longshot 1120.  You would not want to use a faster powder.  Silh is slow, and it only gets it to 1040.  You don't want it slower than that. 

If I wanted to load these for SD, I would likely load Silh at or a tenth or two over max.  

The Barnes commercial +P loads with these are minor PF gamer soft at a little under 1100 feet/sec. 

From what I understand about SCHP bullets is that they don't need the fps to open up.  What Barnes is putting out for load data on this bullet, that's good enough for me. I will chrono my loads and play it safe.

Tires, you will only know by measuring from a chrono out of your gun. If you fail to make Power Floor at a sanctioned USPSA match, you can shoot the rest of the match, but your scores will not be posted....