Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTE on new gun

New Lead Star Barrage

16'' faxon 

24 eclipse trigger

165 xtreme / 3 gr Clays / 1.14 / every round is checked

The issue I'm having...   about every 50 to 100 rounds I get a round that does not fully eject.  The bolt grabs another round and all heck happens.  

I had run about 400 rounds out of the gun as of today.  I cleaned it today.. completely.   

Hoping for no issues tomorrow night as I shoot a local match.

Should I expect a break in period?

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Have you plunk tested those rounds?   

I have several barrel that have not had the throat extended and in those barrels I cannot load 160 gr Ibjihead RN coated bullets past 1.130" long. 

Any longer and they will stick in the chamber.

Yes.. they are fine in regards to length.  Thx!

Just now, Flatland Shooter said:

Have you shot any other ammo?  Maybe some factory rounds?   Any improvement?

Yes.. I ran a variety of ammo.  95 / 115  and Atl Arms 147's.  I believe all but the Atl Arms had the same malfunction.  

It was a little long.. so I didn't shoot much of it.  

Factory new Barage?    Have you contacted Lead Star?

Do you have another 9mm bolt you could slip in to test things?

Still have the Blitzkrieg buffer?  Having problems with various ammo I wonder if maybe a lighter buffer spring might help. 

I've not heard of any new PCCs requiring a break in period.

Hope you get it running before the weekend.

50 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Factory new Barage?    Have you contacted Lead Star?

Do you have another 9mm bolt you could slip in to test things?

Still have the Blitzkrieg buffer?  Having problems with various ammo I wonder if maybe a lighter buffer spring might help. 

I've not heard of any new PCCs requiring a break in period.

Hope you get it running before the weekend.

Hoping the cleaning fixed it... I have not reached out to LS yet.  If it persists I will.  

It has a MBX buffer.  I've considered changing out the springs... they seem very strong.  

Thanks!

Certain combinations of bolt, buffer and spring with a given load can cause what you are seeing. If the rearward movement of the bolt is not far enough extraction isn't complete before the bolt starts moving forward. You'll need to find your right combination for balancing smooth feeding while minimizing dot movement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Make sure that the ejector is very tight in the upper/inner corner of the bolt channel.  The 9mm case is pretty small in diameter and the ejector only contacts the outer edge.  If the ejector is not located properly, it can slip off the edge of a piece of brass with a rounded edge.  Making sure it is almost scrubbing against the bolt towards the centerline, and as high as the bolt channel will permit, will make sure it kicks out all the brass.

Edited by L9X25

Yes, expect a break in period.  Also, and don’t take this as an insult because I’m guilty, when you clean the gun be sure to scrape under the extractor with a dental pick or the like.  I had a similar FTE develop, and when I actually cleaned the gun (again, not my strong suit and certainly not the gun’s fault!) there was so much buildup under the extractor, I essentially had no extractor.  My rounds were ejecting purely out of inertia, which impressed me that it was functioning as well as it was.  Once I freed the extractor of gunk, it rand perfectly.  

I'd be shocked if those 165's plunked. I'd measure your OAL before and AFTER slamming the bolt down. 

What pattern mag your gun? I run GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags so I usually forget that the Colt pattern guns are finnicky about mags. Is the issue happening with every mag or just one trouble maker?  Outside of ammo and mag issues a PCC should not require a break in period. Wet/dry, suppressed for 2000 rounds, random ammo (as long as it's 9mm), 60 power factor up to 170 PF...If something is out of spec check for abnormal wear, metal shavings, odd marks on the brass both fired and on rounds still in the mag. 

I'm up to 40,000 rounds on one of the guns and the only thing that's stopped my PCC has been a 380 (didn't fire), a factory 9mm with a large primer sort of in the primer pocket (tried real hard to fire but it was a bit high :P) and a 40 (didn't chamber). 

23 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I'm up to 40,000 rounds on one of the guns 

Darqisoull13 runs nothing but JP guns.  With 40,000 rds down the barrel it shows they know what they are doing when they build a PCC.

i went the cheap route but then I don't think any of my guns will get to that round count.  Kind of a hint to new shooter starting out.  Buy once and shoot, shoot, shoot.

28 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I'd be shocked if those 165's plunked. I'd measure your OAL before and AFTER slamming the bolt down. 

What pattern mag your gun? I run GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags so I usually forget that the Colt pattern guns are finnicky about mags. Is the issue happening with every mag or just one trouble maker?  Outside of ammo and mag issues a PCC should not require a break in period. Wet/dry, suppressed for 2000 rounds, random ammo (as long as it's 9mm), 60 power factor up to 170 PF...If something is out of spec check for abnormal wear, metal shavings, odd marks on the brass both fired and on rounds still in the mag. 

I'm up to 40,000 rounds on one of the guns and the only thing that's stopped my PCC has been a 380 (didn't fire), a factory 9mm with a large primer sort of in the primer pocket (tried real hard to fire but it was a bit high :P) and a 40 (didn't chamber). 

Hello: No broken firing pin? Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric, 

Actually if you follow my posts on firing pins there's an update there. I think it actually takes a high-er primer PLUS a broken firing pin to stop that design. I've had 2 firing pins break. 1 with ammo that I loaded on a 1050 was found after running several shooters through a match, no malfunctions. 

The other was many moons ago and it turns out, that ammo had primers that were not seated as, shall we say deep, as one would like. Found that out after that batch was scrounged up and used in a GLOCK-brand-GLOCK with a notGLOCK-brand trigger. 

Thanks for following along with the glorious saga of PCC life! 

Edited by Darqusoull13

Great suggestions...  

I took extra care on the extractor cleaning as well as the whole gun and lubed the bolt really well.  Something clicked.. ran nearly 300 rounds today with no issues.

I'm running glock mags with tf extensions.

The 165's are perfectly sized but I tested some 147's with 3 grains of clays that won out in the testing so far. 

Thanks.. seems to be shooting great now.