Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 Cylinder Weight ?

shoots100

I've done pretty much everything to it to get a 7lb DA trigger pull, but have been only able to get it to 7.5 lbs with reliable ignition.

I'm looking into having the cylinder weight reduced to get there.

Would it be worth getting the cylinder machined to see if I can get that 1/2 Lb reduction I'm looking for  ? 

SJC

Edited by shoots100

That looks good, but I've seen pics of other 617 cylinders with a lot more metal removed.

I don't know how those cylinders held up to a lot of use though ?

Did you weigh the cylinder before and after machining it  ?

I'm not expecting miracles, but I know a lighter cylinder takes less poundage to move and speed is the name of the game.

SJC

Edited by shoots100

I'm of the opinion that ( with the 617 ) it doesnt reduce trigger weight.

I've got an aluminum cylinder in my 617 , which is a fraction of the weight of a stainless ( even modified ) 

The rotational weight of a 617 is so light and short of a stroke to begin with, I dont think it'd be worth the effort unless you want a lighter gun.

617open-768x512.jpg

I agree. I took a lot of weight off - not as much as that one and noticed a difference in the front to back weight distribution that I ever did in the trigger pull weight. Then again I have always been an archer not the arrow type and care a lot more about the consistence of the reset than the pull. Just my preference I guess.

BE954A14-D0D9-4D8E-9908-46A882C604BD.jpeg

25 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

I agree. I took a lot of weight off - not as much as that one and noticed a difference in the front to back weight distribution that I ever did in the trigger pull weight. Then again I have always been an archer not the arrow type and care a lot more about the consistence of the reset than the pull. Just my preference I guess.

BE954A14-D0D9-4D8E-9908-46A882C604BD.jpeg

Do you still own this gun ? I've got a buddy who bought one that was modified like this a few years ago. 

Just now, RevolverJockey said:

No. I parted with it a few years ago. When I realized I could shoot .38 Super cheaper than .22. 

Knew it looked familiar, my buddy bought it off you. I shot it a few times, nice machine work. 

At the time I was doing everything on an old Bridgeport and Southbend lathe. Now I have access to CNC mills/lathes and wire EDM and wouldn’t you know it, I don’t really modify guns anymore. Glad it worked out for him.

Edited by RevolverJockey

15 hours ago, shoots100 said:

I've done pretty much everything to it to get a 7lb DA trigger pull, but have been only able to get it to 7.5 lbs with reliable ignition.

I'm looking into having the cylinder weight reduced to get there.

Would it be worth getting the cylinder machined to see if I can get that 1/2 Lb reduction I'm looking for  ? 

SJC

I have all the weights written down at home on the bench- full weight, heavily trimmed and aluminum. I'm using aluminum in both my 617s now. Lightning any cylinder will have zero effect on trigger weight. But it looks unique. 

Ok, full weight 617 cylinder-7.25oz.

Stainless cylinder turned down to 1.30" just ahead of the stop notches all the way forward- 6.5oz

Aluminum 17-8 cylinder- 2.75oz