Ideal barrel length for SSP/ESP/CDP Divisions

Chuck D

Ideal Barrel Length for SSP/ESP/CDP Divisions  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your poison

• 4.00 to 4.25 inches
    • 4.50 to 4.75 inches
    • 5 inches

5 inches.  Better sight radius, better accuracy, better FPS than the 4 inch.  If you have a problem drawing a 5 inch from a holster and not a 4 inch, then you need to practice drawing from a holster.  IMHO.

48 minutes ago, keonard said:

5 inches.  Better sight radius, better accuracy, better FPS than the 4 inch.  If you have a problem drawing a 5 inch from a holster and not a 4 inch, then you need to practice drawing from a holster.  IMHO.

Nowhere did I say or suggest that people have a "problem" drawing a 5 inch pistol from concealment. I am curious as to what people feel most comfortable using.

• 2 weeks later...

I like my 5” 1911 running 200gr Xtreme bullets.  For me, it’s just the right combo of soft shooting with the front sight settling just a bit quicker than my 230gr loads (prob all in my head, lol).  The 4” guns may transition a little quicker (in someone’s hands besides mine) but they’re going to be snappier at the same power factor.  

• 1 month later...

I shoot 4",  4.4", 4.6-4.7" and 5".  I shoot the 4.6-4.7" and 5" the most accurately.  That being said, one of the best shooters in my club recently won the match with his 4" EDC STI.  The next match he was the first place pistol (behind two PCC shooters) and shot his son's stock P226 DA/SA with a 4".4 barrel. I just picked up a Sig P320 X5 and let him shoot it so it is really tantalizing to him. He's no pro, but he is very smart in how he practices.  I believe the bottom line is this - practice and get really good, then you can shoot pretty much any barrel length accurately. 

Edited by DCSigCZ

Shoot the gun you are most comfortable with.  Practice with it.  Shooting typical IDPA courses of fire, time spent agonizing over increments between 4" and 5" barrel lengths is counterproductive, IMHO.  Spend your time focusing on delivering a winning performance in each match, and don't worry about the barrel length.