Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Progressive Issues

1 hour ago, Beef15 said:

You have a size, part number, or link where one can find these o-rings? I have close to 30k on my original spring without major issue, but I'd like to give this a try.

I suppose you can just type in the size on Amazon. It pulls it up for me every time. I have a friend of mine that gets them from McMaster Carr for me.

(Size M2.5mm x 69mm Buna-N O-Ring) I dont have the part number because he just gives them to me in a plastic bag.

I`m actually writing & posting a thread right now in the forum here, and it will have some info over there. But i`ve posted the size for you in here cause i`m not finished the other thread yet.

Now be aware, this size is only for the Hornady LNL AP Ez_Eject presses. The older Hornady Pro-Jector presses use a 3.0mm X 69mm because the sub plate is different.

Edited by vince

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

Great idea, I use o-rings under the bolt that holds the shell plate and on the powder measure linkage, just never thought about around the shell plate.

Thanks!

You`re welcome! I`ve have had ZERO issues using the orings under the shell plate for years. Just make sure you rub some sort of lube on the oring before you install it. And also back your shell plate up with one hand, and push the oring down into the groove in the sub plate, then just walk the shell plate clockwise with your hand to feed the oring safely into the groove of the sub plate.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:32 PM, Charlestiller said:

Well I just ordered a 10 pack. Thanks for the info. I can’t wait to try them on the old red press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your welcome!

Is your press the newer LNL AP EZ-Ject press...? The older presses wont work very good with the oring.

Please do holler back and let me know how you made out with it. Dont forget to lube the oring before installing it! I use a very lite film of lanolin.

Edited by vince

Your welcome!
Is your press the newer LNL AP EZ-Ject press...? The older presses wont work very good with the oring.

Please do holler back and let me know how you made out with it. Dont forget to lube the oring before installing it! I use a very lite film of lanolin.

I have a newer press. I’ll let you know once I get it setup.

10 minutes ago, Charlestiller said:

I have a newer press. I’ll let you know once I get it setup.

Thats great... this should work really well for you then. I think your going to like the difference in how smooth the indexing is afterwards. Make sure you lube the oring before you install it. On a side note, i`ve had to readjust the left pawl on a couple other presses, so be aware that you might have to tinker with it just a bit if needed.

Edited by vince

Here is one that stumped me for a while. Perhaps you guys have ran into this before. I was having some indexing problems, very slight like the detents were not quite reaching their seats. but only sometimes, on the up and down stroke. I knew (well pretty sure) it wasn't the pawls because they were fine before the problem reared its head. I messed with the detents....no help so I put them back as close as I could to where they were. I tried making the shell plate a little more loose.....no help actually worse. I tightened it more than before.....no help. I finally figured it out. I have the Inline Fabrication Ergo roller handle and it had worked its way ever so loose. Since the damn thing has a roller handle and is so smooth I didn't even notice. It was messing with the last bit of the stroke about 2 out of 5 times. I tightened that sucker up and used some Loctite on the nut. 300 rounds later there were zero issues!!!

Vince- I ordered some O-rings, lanolin got here today, excited to try it out!!

Edited by Abominator

20 minutes ago, Abominator said:

Here is one that stumped me for a while. Perhaps you guys have ran into this before. I was having some indexing problems, very slight like the detents were not quite reaching their seats. but only sometimes, on the up and down stroke. I knew (well pretty sure) it wasn't the pawls because they were fine before the problem reared its head. I messed with the detents....no help so I put them back as close as I could to where they were. I tried making the shell plate a little more loose.....no help actually worse. I tightened it more than before.....no help. I finally figured it out. I have the Inline Fabrication Ergo roller handle and it had worked its way ever so loose. Since the damn thing has a roller handle and is so smooth I didn't even notice. It was messing with the last bit of the stroke about 2 out of 5 times. I tightened that sucker up and used some Loctite on the nut. 300 rounds later there were zero issues!!!

Abominator, that is EXCELLENT!!! Nice catch on the ergo roller handle.

I cant ever express enough to people that you HAVE TO check these presses all the time. Routine maintenance is key!

Orings: Cant wait to hear out it works out. Hopefully your press will work better for you. Make sure you add a tiny film of lube to the oring BEFORE you install it. If you dont, it will drag around the sub plate terribly. I just use a light film of lanolin, and that seems to work ok for me. As you likely know, you will have to lube the oring as the lube will eventually go away. Whenever i`m done with my reloading, i always pull the shell plates and clean and re-lube everything. That way i`m ready to roll next time i want to reload more ammo. The key to ANY progressive press working good, is that its extremely clean when you start.

What i want to make clear to everyone, this oring mod may NOT work for everybody`s press. But i will say, it has worked on every LNL AP press i`ve done this on. Now i`m sure everybody sets their presses up similar, but that dosent mean we all do it the same way, nore does EVERY press run identically. There are way to many variances between all presses AND their operators. These presses are mass produced, a lot of variables. We know that no 2 of the same model cars run identical, and neither do our presses. So do keep that in mind as you change over to an oring in place of the steel OEM case retaining spring. The main goal here is, is to stop the shell plate jump during indexing. I can only say, that i have had GREAT success using the oring, i hope others will as well.

39 minutes ago, Abominator said:

Hey Abominator, favor to ask of you...

when you get your oring mod done, and have done some indexing with it to see how it works, could you post your results in the link below?

I would really like to track the progress of anyone who has had success with using the oring set-up on their LNL AP presses. Thanks buddy ;)

37 minutes ago, vince said:

Hey Abominator, favor to ask of you...

when you get your oring mod done, and have done some indexing with it to see how it works, could you post your results in the link below?

I would really like to track the progress of anyone who has had success with using the oring set-up on their LNL AP presses. Thanks buddy ;)

Will do!

On 3/18/2020 at 9:08 PM, vince said:

Thank you Sir! ;)

Okay Vince here is the Final review:

What other life changing advice do you have? LOL.

This o-ring mod works excellent! I reloaded 300 rounds of 9mm and I don't think I had a single granule of powder on my shell plate. Not only that the press seemed to run smoother than it ever has before. I'm not sure what witchcraft is baked into that o-ring but it is good stuff. I will add that perhaps due to the increased drag of the o-ring I did have to adjust the right and left pawls, but not by much. So glad you shared this fix in my 2nd year of reloading, I would have felt so cheated had I been reloading for many years and just now learned this! This fix is a definite recommend for anyone with and LnL. Well done Vince.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, Abominator said:

Okay Vince here is the Final review:

What other life changing advice do you have? LOL.

This o-ring mod works excellent! I reloaded 300 rounds of 9mm and I don't think I had a single granule of powder on my shell plate. Not only that the press seemed to run smoother than it ever has before. I'm not sure what witchcraft is baked into that o-ring but it is good stuff. I will add that perhaps due to the increased drag of the o-ring I did have to adjust the right and left pawls, but not by much. So glad you shared this fix in my 2nd year of reloading, I would have felt so cheated had I been reloading for many years and just now learned this! This fix is a definite recommend for anyone with and LnL. Well done Vince.

Hi Abominator,

i am so sorry that i didnt get back to you sooner. Its been crazy here at my place, i deeply apologize.

Thats GREAT! I`m very happy it worked out for you. I was confident that it would.

Yes, as i suspected from past experience, you do have to adjust the pawls on most of these LNL presses just a tiny bit once you get the oring in and running around the sub-plate.

This oring mod on these LNL AP presses have been working great for everyone in my area that has done this. Alotta happy campers...lol. It DOES make the process run smoother!

I`ve got some other magic up my sleeves, but i`m still in the testing phase`s yet on many different things. I`ll try to stay on top of it and post what can when i can for you and others.

I make ZERO money doing this... this is just a hobby for me. I love to tinker, and i`m always trying to improve things, make things, to try to help others.

And thank you so much for the kind words my friend. Its a great feeling to me to help out fellow reloaders if i can. Thats the reward for me, just knowing i helped someone else out.

All i ask out of anyone, is to pay it forward, help others with this mod... tell them vince said this will work, IF, they do their part ;) 

Take care my friend.... and be safe out there!

EDIT:

PS... i dont know if either of my threads are worthy enough to be a sticky or not.

Maybe someone might be able to make it happen so both threads can help others. 

vince

Edited by vince