Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A flagged Classifier

Beef15

Shot "Can You Count" managed an 81% run with two pedestrian draws and ugly even for me reloads.

Currently I sit at 58.3142%, last four classifiers excluding this one have been 64-65% so clearly shooting them better and right on the cusp of B class at which point this score would have been accepted valid since it would be within 20% of the class.

Set-up looked right, times seemed consistent with what I can do on similar in practice, both strings were very near the same. One other competitor in the match was also A flagged, I know him, he is improving rapidly of late, I saw his run, nothing seemed off about it either, the 60 some odd others had theirs count.

So I petitioned it with the form indicated in the A flag explanation. It's been a week with no response at all, normal? Submit another form? Forget about it?

It takes a while sometimes depending on what else is going on but Rick will always get you squared away. The system is set up to flag specific things. When I started practicing heavily I picked up a few flags. I just explained I went from 0 practice to 10 hours a week dry fire and 3-4 hours live fire. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 7:01 PM, Beef15 said:

Talked to the other shooter that got A flagged. He called, they told him no. Just crickets here. Guess when they bumped the A flag to 20% they should've scrapped petitions.

Wow. I hadn't heard of that. Perhaps that's why my 94.something counted when I was a C-Class. Either that or people just really wanted me to get out of C-Class in spite of my classifieritis.

• 3 months later...

Beef15...Did the "A" flag ever get removed as a result of your petition??? I'm going through the same thing now. I scored 27% higher on 99-23 Fronsight than my current class (D). This policy seems a bit gooofy to me. Here's a scenario: Say a shooter closes the season out at D class. Then spends the off season training hard and taking a few classes. Comes back out in the Spring and starts nailing classifiers consistently at 20% higher than his class....do they all get flagged? Is he stuck in D forever? Goofy rule IMHO.

Recently, we had a PCC guy at a local classifier match shoot 100% on one classifier with a ~13HF (where GM HF is 11.7).  One classifier out of six, four were between ~41% and ~59%, and one was a zero.  i dont know if it was flagged initially, but it was accepted as a valid score.   

Edited by nasty618

11 hours ago, Damonave said:

Beef15...Did the "A" flag ever get removed as a result of your petition??? I'm going through the same thing now. I scored 27% higher on 99-23 Fronsight than my current class (D). This policy seems a bit gooofy to me. Here's a scenario: Say a shooter closes the season out at D class. Then spends the off season training hard and taking a few classes. Comes back out in the Spring and starts nailing classifiers consistently at 20% higher than his class....do they all get flagged? Is he stuck in D forever? Goofy rule IMHO.

No, not accepted, never got a reply of any sort.

Climbed out of C anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have 3 flagged right now. The last classifier I shot was back in May when I had a stomach bug and had a cramp in the middle of the stage. I spent the entire summer shooting majors and practicing, and they don't have classifiers at majors. I shot A class at Nationals but I don't get a match bump because there weren't 50 revolvers shooting. Right now I'm shooting 100% classifiers and they're all flagged A. I've petitioned, but I talked to someone else that did something similar weeks ago and hasn't heard anything back. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. I might switch to Limited and try to make Master and then have my revo bumped to A class by default, then continue.

Picked up another A flag as expected, this one in CO. Petitioned.

They did let one through that was more than 20% over current, El Prez at 77% the same week they A flagged Front Sight at 80%, two very similar classifiers with very similar scores treated differently.

But hey I'm the third highest rated C class CO shooter in the country this week 🙄

The original production A flag is within 20% now, still in the most recent 8 and still flagged.

I've just been moved to A class (84%) because of the classifiers at Nationals. But I have 3 more recent A flags, 2 from Nats and 1 after Nats. I've petitioned them all but it looks like the petitioning system doesn't work any more, or that no one cares. I'm hoping the 2 100%s and the 98% show up as Y next week but for some reason I think they won't. But at least now I can move out of B class and not have the RO fudge the scores to give me lower ones so the classifiers count lol

USPSA needs to ditch the "A" flag...  I understand the original concept - it stops a shooter shooting a once-in-a-lifetime hero score from being bumped up a class...  although I have never seen anyone shoot a high score that didn't want it to count...  except for the following situation...

But the opposite is also in effect...  We have a couple of very low classed shooters that shoot classifiers in the 80's and then laugh because the "A" flag keeps them in "C" class or lower...

• 9 months later...

How in the world can I climb in classification if I’m punished for doing well?  I went to a classifier match (as a D class shooter) and pulled a few C class runs and a B class run.  The B class run has been flagged with an A.  Meanwhile, my brother who has never shot a classifier before in his life had 2 stages zeroed out, a B class run, 2 C class runs and a D.  But they didn’t flag him.  

It’s frustratingly difficult to try and work your way up in this sport unless you shoot matches every weekend.  My life doesn’t allow for that.  Not to mention that so many of the matches I’ve made it to in the past year haven’t even had a classifier.

If USPSA wants to grow the sport even more they need to cut this A flag crap out. I shoot a lot, it’s just not at matches all the time.

1 hour ago, nakinate said:

How in the world can I climb in classification if I’m punished for doing well?  I went to a classifier match (as a D class shooter) and pulled a few C class runs and a B class run.  The B class run has been flagged with an A.  Meanwhile, my brother who has never shot a classifier before in his life had 2 stages zeroed out, a B class run, 2 C class runs and a D.  But they didn’t flag him. 

Different rules apply when you shoot the first four or six classifiers...  They count regardless of what their percentage is and they are hard to get rid of...  Read the first 2 or 3 pages in the USPSA rulebook to see how the classification system actually works.

6 hours ago, nakinate said:

It’s frustratingly difficult to try and work your way up in this sport unless you shoot matches every weekend.  My life doesn’t allow for that.  Not to mention that so many of the matches I’ve made it to in the past year haven’t even had a classifier.

If USPSA wants to grow the sport even more they need to cut this A flag crap out. I shoot a lot, it’s just not at matches all the time.

It's supposed to be an accurate rating of your skill level, so much like with other averages you get a more accurate number by tossing out outliers, both low and high. It automatically drops low scores same as high scores. You can just ask to have them included.

Edited by NickBlasta