Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY polish and trigger job?

I recently did a full strip and polish job on my first Tanfoglio. If you can do a Shadow, this will be kinda similar.

Cover the small hole on the side of the mag release with your thumb when you pull out the trigger bar spring assembly. Ask me how I know! lol 

I too feel the tanfo is easier. Once you get to where you can get the hammer strut and spring compressed. That's the most difficult part for me at least. Once you get it down, it's easy. 

I think the tanfo internals are the better design. 

If you can do one you can do the other. Biggest difference for me was you can half ass the work on a cz and trigger will still be decent. On a tanfo, a lot more thorough job is necessary and the frame needs work too. 

Here you go. My 4-part series that breaks it down step by step.

I think we’re up around 35,000 views now, which is a lot for a totally-unfollowed account like my own. I guess I did a halfway decent job.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The Stock II was a good Sunday afternoon project for me about a year ago. The parts are small after being used to 1911/2011 stuff, but easy enough to work with, and compared to the CZ I'd say a bit less complicated.

If you go with the Titan hammer be aware that you'll have to fit the safety. Take your time. Memphis may have a tutorial on it. Mine came in after four tries., I think.

Polish one part that impinges upon another but don't change any dimensions.

When you're finished you'll come away with a great deal of satisfaction with your new crisp, light, trigger. 

7 hours ago, colby_attack said:

I followed Memphis's guide to a tee. Took me about 7 hours. Feels great now. 

He did an amazing job on it.

5 hours ago, Trinimon said:

Didn't know those were Memphis' vids! Thanks Memphis! I followed those vids to polish up my Tanfoglio. Most helpful!

2 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

actually watching his vid now `;-`0

Happy to help, and I’m glad they turned out so well!

the tanfo is a lot easier to work on that the CZ.

the sear housing  and relevant parts are similar however the Tanfo is somewhat simpler.

It is normal to feel a bit overwhelmed the first time, don't worry, just follow the video that memphis did and it will really help. There is also another video from a Kiwi or British guy that explains how to dissasemble the gun. I have actually followed both because I found that memphis would do things a certain way and the other guy another way, so I kinda mixed the experiences and created my own. Knowledge is power.

Since that first time, I have done my first tanfo twice and my 2nd one once. They have both identical trigger pulls at 6lbs (medium extreme hammer spring, titan hammer, one piece sear), that pop all the hard primers.

Edited by Avenida

Yeah both sets of videos were helpful.  After fitting new parts on several guns I've found my own way that's a blend of everyone that works for me.

Oh and for those who are wondering, I finally broke my TRS around 10000 rounds live fire (and easily quadruple that dry fire).  Yes I did order all new springs from PD after Thanksgiving and no I didn't respring my Tanfo as I should have in the slow season.  Fortunately it broke during a practice session a few days before a major match and not during the match.   So hurray that I had all the springs ready to be installed and I'm also glad for a backup Tanfo for major matches.... yes yes I should get to replacing the springs on the backup at some point as well.

Edited by V2plus25

11 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Yeah both sets of videos were helpful.  After fitting new parts on several guns I've found my own way that's a blend of everyone that works for me.

Oh and for those who are wondering, I finally broke my TRS around 10000 rounds live fire (and easily quadruple that dry fire).  Yes I did order all new springs from PD after Thanksgiving and no I didn't respring my Tanfo as I should have in the slow season.  Fortunately it broke during a practice session a few days before a major match and not during the match.   So hurray that I had all the springs ready to be installed and I'm also glad for a backup Tanfo for major matches.... yes yes I should get to replacing the springs on the backup at some point as well.

Hmmm, time for me to start a spare parts bin. Good timing for that spring to break!

7 hours ago, Trinimon said:

So, how did it go? How's the Xtreme trigger/feel out of the box? 

Sorry to do this in European measures... My CZ Shadow orange (factory tuned) with the lightest springs has 1,3 kg SA...

My tuned by Grauffel (Sebastian Egret, his gunsmith) is great with only 950 grams (my friend who bought same gun and did some work on sear is at 900 grams)...

The new Xtreme came with reasonable nice trigger, 1,2 kg+ (1200 grams).

I try to bring it down now. Need this weekend, loads of work... (pfff) did frame and slide a bit (not too aggressive) did strut hole (hammer spring hole) and plunger hole (is that the name?), did hammer... this weekend most important part (following Grauffel/Sebastien) the sear housing where trigger bar rides it.... (have to watch Memphis video's closely) already noticed huge improvements in frame/slide interaction and especially plunger ' feel' when I push it/

Will install PD 15,5 (maybe 14) hammer spring (only that 15,5 spring made my former stock 2 came alive ? ) + PD sear spring. Wondering about TRS from PD since my stock 2 felt like no reset afterwards (maybe Memphis can advise). Think I only do the sear spring from PD...

Keep you posted, Saturday I try to finish.

Wife complaining about blue magic spots in living room ?

Daughter about some ' gun smell'

I am a lousy father ?

regards,

4 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Will install PD 15,5 (maybe 14) hammer spring (only that 15,5 spring made my former stock 2 came alive ? ) + PD sear spring. Wondering about TRS from PD since my stock 2 felt like no reset afterwards (maybe Memphis can advise). Think I only do the sear spring from PD...

I just left my TRS and sear spring stock.  Sure the trigger isn't as light as it can possibly be, but I liked the feel of the positive trigger reset with the normal power TRS instead of the reduced one. 

5 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Sorry to do this in European measures... My CZ Shadow orange (factory tuned) with the lightest springs has 1,3 kg SA...

My tuned by Grauffel (Sebastian Egret, his gunsmith) is great with only 950 grams (my friend who bought same gun and did some work on sear is at 900 grams)...

The new Xtreme came with reasonable nice trigger, 1,2 kg+ (1200 grams).

I try to bring it down now. Need this weekend, loads of work... (pfff) did frame and slide a bit (not too aggressive) did strut hole (hammer spring hole) and plunger hole (is that the name?), did hammer... this weekend most important part (following Grauffel/Sebastien) the sear housing where trigger bar rides it.... (have to watch Memphis video's closely) already noticed huge improvements in frame/slide interaction and especially plunger ' feel' when I push it/

Keep you posted, Saturday I try to finish.

Wife complaining about blue magic spots in living room ?

Daughter about some ' gun smell'

I am a lousy father ?

regards,

Good stuff! Sounds like a fun Saturday. lol

Are you going to run it with a thumb rest?

8 minutes ago, vnboileau said:

I'm about to place an order from CGW for some CZ stuff, but I've seen a mention of something of theirs that's recommended for Tanfos.  A pin or spring...?

I believe the trigger return spring and the floating trigger pin are interchangeable.

3 hours ago, vnboileau said:

I'm about to place an order from CGW for some CZ stuff, but I've seen a mention of something of theirs that's recommended for Tanfos.  A pin or spring...?

Cgw canik floating trigger pin