Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40S&W Major Reloading Cost

dkamps

Its been a while since I reloaded... but its time for me to begin again. Switching everything over to 40 and loading major and minor loads here shortly.

I started calculating the cost of loading 40... its looking to cost as much as I can buy 9 for

My old load formula would cost:

~9c per plated projectile

~1.5c in powder

~3c per primer

~4c per case if I don't have the time to prep my own.

that comes out to ~17.5c a round.

Who loads 40 and at what cost do you load it? I'm hoping to drop it down to the 12c range if possible once I establish a nice solid 5g bucket or two of brass again.

Suggestions welcome!

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You should be able to shave some on the bullet and primer - maybe 3 cents.

Cases are expensive, unless you load them many times and prep them yourself.

What are you reloading on ?

Ive been collecting all the 40 brass I can lately, eventually Ill have a solid stash ready to go again.

Even the coated lead I've found is about 9c a piece

Been using Winchester primers for ~$29 per 1k

Reloading on a hornady LNL progressive (I don't like it, wish I had a 650)

I only reload 40 and try to buy everything in bulk to keep the cost down.

7c per coated bullet

2.5c per primer

1.8c per in powder

2c per case that I prep myself

Edited by bjones6686

52 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

I only reload 40 and try to buy everything in bulk to keep the cost down.

7c per coated bullet

2.5c per primer

1.8c per in powder

2c per case that I prep myself

Can you give me some names of who you use? Thanks!

29 minutes ago, dkamps said:

Can you give me some names of who you use? Thanks!

I buy 165gr coated bullets by the case from Black Bullets International. I get a discount on bullets from them through the secondary sponsorship program. I bought a 35lb commercial size container of Vhitavuori N340 at around $21 per pound from my local reloading shop. My boss is a FFL. Last time he bought primers in bulk I went in on the order and with shipping and tax included it cost me $25 per 1k for Winchester SPP. I buy dirty range brass at $20 per 1k. 

11 hours ago, bjones6686 said:

I buy 165gr coated bullets by the case from Black Bullets International. I get a discount on bullets from them through the secondary sponsorship program. I bought a 35lb commercial size container of Vhitavuori N340 at around $21 per pound from my local reloading shop. My boss is a FFL. Last time he bought primers in bulk I went in on the order and with shipping and tax included it cost me $25 per 1k for Winchester SPP. I buy dirty range brass at $20 per 1k. 

Good to know, I’ll have to start looking into that.

How do you like the Black Bullets? Any issues with smokeyness?  The seat pretty easy on the press?

Edited by dkamps

I have a local guy here in texas that makes all my bullets for my limited guns.  They run great and priced right.  PM me if interested.  

Also from experience CCI primers run great in dillon equipment.  the RF100 and the 1050.  

3 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Also from experience CCI primers run great in dillon equipment.  the RF100 and the 1050.  

I've found that with a Dillon SDB the CCI's certainly don't load as well or as easily as Wincheester WSP's.?

On 5/22/2018 at 10:24 PM, dkamps said:

Good to know, I’ll have to start looking into that.

How do you like the Black Bullets? Any issues with smokeyness?  The seat pretty easy on the press?

I love the black bullets. Chandler has figured out a way to get the coating to stick to the bullet better then all the other bullet manufacturers that use the hitek coating. No issues with smokiness even with hot fast burning powders like titegroup. They seat easy on my 1050. Never shave any of the coating off while seating.

10 hours ago, bjones6686 said:

I love the black bullets. Chandler has figured out a way to get the coating to stick to the bullet better then all the other bullet manufacturers that use the hitek coating. No issues with smokiness even with hot fast burning powders like titegroup. They seat easy on my 1050. Never shave any of the coating off while seating.

Awesome, I'll be buying a few thousand to try out.  I've used Missouri Bullet Company in the past with good results, plus they offer a good mil deal. 

11 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Iff  your gun will set them off, try the Russian primers - they're usually a penny cheaper   :) 

Have you had reliable results with them?  I've heard good and bad things... ill be using a 2011, so it should ignite harder primers without issue compared to a striker gun.

My personal opinion is this, if you are trying to save $$$ by reloading I would recommend buying ammo through one of the better retail reloaders. Search this site for recommendations. 

I reload for two reasons; the first is I get what I want for ammo and the second is I enjoy the process/gadgets. 

I would also recommend to not look for the lest expensive components, but rather the ones which work consistently and with adequate accuracy for your gun. 

3 hours ago, dkamps said:

Have you had reliable results with them?  I'll be using a 2011, so it should ignite harder primers

Exactly what I found  :)

My BHP will not set them off reliably, but my STI TruBor loves them    :cheers:

And, at 2 cents each, I'm saving $200/year    :) 

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

My personal opinion is this, if you are trying to save $$$ by reloading I would recommend buying ammo through one of the better retail reloaders. Search this site for recommendations. 

I reload for two reasons; the first is I get what I want for ammo and the second is I enjoy the process/gadgets. 

I would also recommend to not look for the lest expensive components, but rather the ones which work consistently and with adequate accuracy for your gun. 

I'm trying to maximize my money for the ammo I shoot, to gain the ability to shoot more.  I'm getting back into reloading to feed my 2011 better ammo than I can buy, that's tailored to that gun for OAL, powder, PF etc. I will be loading both major and minor pf 40 to 1.18, so there isn't a source out there that can really give me what I need unless I spend .40c a round. Technically I'm not looking to save money, I'm looking to maximize the rounds I get for my money.

Quality components are what I'm looking for, a lot of reloading threads I've found have been about the recipe, different powder characteristics for softer shooting loads etc, however, if I can save a cent here or there for components that still work reliably, that means I get more ammo to shoot, more range time, and more potential to increase my ability. Its been a while since I reloaded (3 years or so) and some prices have changed, albeit not much, but the prices have increase on .40 loads by a few cents.

It will also be beneficial for new reloaders, and shooters to maybe find a comparable product that saves them 1 or 2c a round without sacrificing performance or reliability. That is my intent.

There are little shops people buy there projectiles from, or maybe some that arent as big as blue bullets etc, that may offer the potential. 1c here and there adds up when you load/shoot 20k rounds a year.

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Check out Eggleston, it’s what Panda uses and has a sale going no on now. 

Still more than 9 cents a round for the 180 gr.

Black Bullets are about 9 cents (shipped) for 180 gr. coated when you buy 2,500 without any discount codes.

9 hours ago, dkamps said:

It will also be beneficial for new reloaders, and shooters to maybe find a comparable product that saves them 1 or 2c a round without sacrificing performance or reliability. That is my intent.

DK

This section of the BE forums has all you are trying to help others with.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/73-10mm40-caliber/

I'm not trying to be nasty or rude, but most people who come to BE forums are looking for help about how they can improve their shooting game. As I mentioned, price is only a small part of the quotient when reloading ammo. I personally started with cost as a part of the value reloading and ended up spending $300 more per 10K (FMJ compared to coated bullets) for reliability, performance, and ease of reloading. 

10K * .01 - .02 = $100 - $200. Some save that amount on bullets to buy a more expensive powder. How many rounds will a person shoot a year?

Edited by HesedTech