Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you recommend to get Match video

magpulled

Thinking about buying a camera to get Match video. I’m thinking a hat mounted is what I want but someone mentioned a camera that mounts to your ear. Either way I want light weight and no head bands 

I used a GoPro Hero 4 Black mounted to my hearing protection for a season. Worked really well for point of view shooting video. I eventually sold the GoPro since I barely used it. A few local shooters use the Mobius camera.

Someone else holding your phone. First person is cool for the people who don't shoot the sport but you will learn exponential more from a 3rd person view. Video is for improving movement and nothing else really.

9 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Someone else holding your phone. First person is cool for the people who don't shoot the sport but you will learn exponential more from a 3rd person view. Video is for improving movement and nothing else really.

This ^

POV video doesn't show footwork (among other things) which is s huge factor in your stage time.

3 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

True. Honestly I would just use it to show family and friends. My phone takes good video. I think you talked me out of spending the cash, thanks ! 

I would agree that third person video is the way to go for self diagnosis and match reflection. If you're doing content creation though, having both is way more entertaining with good editing!

Agree that POV camera is of little training value. With that said, my Polaroid cube setup was cheap and works fine. 

1440 cube is like $90 and weights nothing. Amazon has multiple head straps / hat clips etc. I bought it because it was lighter and cheaper than go pro.

The new ClipShot app is something I can’t wait to try. It runs off your phone and starts at RO start tone, records splits and then shows all splits as you go in margin of video. You can have a squad mate record you and it really underscores areas of improvement. 

Will embed video when I figure this site out. 

A couple of local guys use the mobius. It is about as cheap as you can go. https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527085415&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mobius+action+camera&psc=1

Polaroid and Sony make good options as well for a pov cam and the gopro session? (small cube) is solid. 

17 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

This! I want to see how I'm moving from point to point. And also see how flat the gun is shooting.

You can't get any of that from pov angle.

2 hours ago, Paulie said:

Agree that POV camera is of little training value. With that said, my Polaroid cube setup was cheap and works fine. 

1440 cube is like $90 and weights nothing. Amazon has multiple head straps / hat clips etc. I bought it because it was lighter and cheaper than go pro.

The new ClipShot app is something I can’t wait to try. It runs off your phone and starts at RO start tone, records splits and then shows all splits as you go in margin of video. You can have a squad mate record you and it really underscores areas of improvement. 

Will embed video when I figure this site out. 

I use a cube as well but don't use any straps or clips.  The Polaroid cube has a magnetic base, simply buy a disc shaped rare earth magnet and put it under the hat brim and the Cube on top and away you go.  Nice thing is you don't wreck your hat and the camera can be moved to another hat in 3 seconds.

20 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

If only we could train folks how to shoot decent footage off an iPhone. Please no more portrait mode.

4 minutes ago, Moloch38 said:

If only we could train folks how to shoot decent footage off an iPhone. Please no more portrait mode.

Coach the person you have filming you. Tell them where to stand and where to move to. Everyone has that one buddy at matches who will help out.

If using a smart phone it may be worthwhile to invest in some of those clip-on lenses that increase the field of view (wide angle). This will allow the person running the video to get closer to the action while showing more of the stage.  Ideally they could find a single location where the entire stage could be seen and then they just need to stand still and record it without trying to run around and follow the shooter.

Edited by BritinUSA

On 5/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, Maximis228 said:

Yep. Make friends in your squad 

• 2 months later...

I'm happy with the Mobius.  Attached to the UNDERSIDE of my hat brim with adhesive-backed Velcro tabs. 

Pros:

Cheap

Weighs nothing

Great frame rate & resolution

I can see the blinking red light when it's recording so I KNOW it's on (If this is distracting, the light can be disabled in the settings)

Mounted directly over my dominant eye, when everything goes right I can just about see my actual sight picture.

Cons:

Alignment - With a Go Pro, you can use your phone to see what the camera sees, so it's much easier to get it aimed correctly, where you just have to guess at the alignment of the Mobius.  I have video of several matches where all the action is in the top left corner of the frame...

Battery life - Less than an hour on a full charge.  There are set-ups for external batteries to extend this, but I haven't bothered.  I just turn it on before every LAMR, and off after scoring and there's plenty of life for that.

Indoor color.  For indoor/poorly lit matches, the auto white balance can be a liiittle hit or miss compared to my Go Pro, but this can mostly be corrected with the right post-processing software

Gopro 5 Black worn on a hat strap.  Once on, it uses voice commands to start recording, stop recording and turn off.  It makes it real easy when the RO says "Make Ready"  I just say "Gopro start recording"

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Contour head mount cam. It comes with a single strap headband mound and you dont have to mount it to your hat. The picture is nice and hd and the sound is great. Takes a standard micro SD and very fast to put in or take out. They have waterproof and bluetooth versions also. Amazon has various types and prices.2a227d16876f47783b255bf5452d9bbd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

+1 for GoPro session. Got it for $99 refurbished right from GoPro with same warranty as new. 

Have a hat with built in mount that I got on amazon for $10. 

POV is good to see your grip, but really it’s more for making cool vids for others to watch. No reason you can’t do both, shoot the POV and have someone tape with your phone. 

Also +1 on the portrait mode shooting, that drives me nuts! 

I really like the Polaroid cube. its cheap, small and light weight easy to use and if it ever breaks I wont lose any sleep over it. I have mine attached to my hat using a tripod mount, since the tripod mount has a threaded hole in it i drilled a small hole in the brim of my hat and put a screw through it, i also stippled the bottom of the mount to help it bite into the hat and the camera isn't going anywhere. It also have the ability to tip the camera up or down to however i want it. You can also connect with an andoid device that has Wi-Fi and see what the camera sees so you can adjust where you want it and re-watch your videos. 

0919182043a-1755x3120.jpg

0919182043b-1755x3120.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, Maximis228 said:

I second this. With the proper software you can even slowdown and run comparison video side by side. I use my iPhone mostly and when there is no one to hold I have a GoPro on a clip that I can mount to a wall. 

I started with a Conture camera mounted to my hat. Good video but heavy on the hat. Went with a GoPro mounted to the hat. I had issues starting and stoping the camera and somehow I got upside down videos. The sound quality was not good. When't back to the Conture with a helmet mount mounted to the side of my muffs. Can't feal the weight now. Both cameras had equal video quality Conture better sound. Sony has some good looking cameras with a lense stabilization system. Just can't figure how to mount it yet.

Edited by Jay63