Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 sights

Just put the Dawson .100" on my Elite Limited. I like it.

If you get the Dawson sight, make sure you find that tiny little plug in the plastic pouch. It sits over the hole in the top of the slide and gives the much smaller set screw that Dawson uses something to push against. I completely overlooked mine but used red Loctite on the bottom of the new sight so it's probably not going anywhere, anyhow.

Edited by MikieM

9 hours ago, MikieM said:

Just put the Dawson .100" on my Elite Limited. I like it.

If you get the Dawson sight, make sure you find that tiny little plug in the plastic pouch. It sits over the hole in the top of the slide and gives the much smaller set screw that Dawson uses something to push against. I completely overlooked mine but used red Loctite on the bottom of the new sight so it's probably not going anywhere, anyhow.

That plug you mention must be a new thing? I never had that couple years ago when i got sights from them for my tanfo

• 3 weeks later...

I switched to the Dawson after not liking the Extreme option.  Right now I'm running the .090"x.150" but thinking about changing to a little taller (.160" or so) as my rear sight is still pretty much bottomed out.  

After the initial install (sight came loose) I had to get more aggressive and peen the sight edge, use red loctite, and make a small brass plug so the set screw had something to dig into. 

@MemphisMechanic Whats the rationale for the .100" over the .090"?

7 minutes ago, pbRex said:

I switched to the Dawson after not liking the Extreme option.  Right now I'm running the .090"x.150" but thinking about changing to a little taller (.160" or so) as my rear sight is still pretty much bottomed out.  

After the initial install (sight came loose) I had to get more aggressive and peen the sight edge, use red loctite, and make a small brass plug so the set screw had something to dig into. 

@MemphisMechanic Whats the rationale for the .100" over the .090"?

pbRex, what did you not like on the Xtreme sights? Where is the Dawson better (should I change?)

regards,

8 minutes ago, pbRex said:

@Fasthenk65 The Extreme sight didn't allow enough light for the FO, it was a dim dot.  Compared, the Dawson has a much brighter dot which you can get very crisp. 

Tnx!

I like the height of the Xtreme though, you have any idea how high the Xtreme sights are? 150 not enough so most probably the .160 like you mentioned...

4 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Tnx!

I like the height of the Xtreme though, you have any idea how high the Xtreme sights are? 150 not enough so most probably the .160 like you mentioned...

Not sure on height, I'll see if I can measure this week.  I'm pretty sure the comparison has been covered before.   

9 hours ago, pbRex said:

Not sure on height, I'll see if I can measure this week.  I'm pretty sure the comparison has been covered before.   

https://patriotdefense.com/product/egd-xtreme-tanfoglio-fiber-optic-front-sight/

Different heights & widths available, I think more are listed on the EG website. I think 5.5 mm is the same height as stock ??

If you can ever find them in stock at EAA the front fiber supplied by Tanfo is priced attractively (28 + 9 shipping + - ) .

I shoot fewer mikes and deltas with the wider (3.0 mm) sight options. May just be an personal problem thing, have a bad habit of calling the height of the front sight & being sloppy about calling how well it is centered side to side. 

Dawsons are brighter and look better when just standing around and comparing. When shooting, for me the difference in brightness does not show up on the clock or in accuracy, seems like one is bright enough and the other is more than enough. 

14 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Tnx!

Why isn’t .150 high enough?

I ran a .140 on mine with the standard LPA, and it was zeroed a few clicks up from being fully bottomed out. 

That rear sight is fragile enough that I wanted the screw run in as far as I could get it, and the leaf lower and slightly less prone to getting snagged.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Same shooter, same ammo, 2 stock 2's .

Stock height is good on one gun & a bit short on the other. 

Edit - And the rear sight blades are visibly different, one is grooved top to bottom & the other is flat-grooved-flat-grooved. Both guns purchased new. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I ran a .140 on mine with the standard LPA, and it was zeroed a few clicks up from being fully bottomed out. 

That rear sight is fragile enough that I wanted the screw run in as far as I could get it, and the leaf lower and slightly less prone to getting snagged.

Right Memphis, posted wrong pbRex didn't like 150... I have .120 on St. 2 (bit too low) and the Xtreme's on both limited's. Ordered .140*100 at Patriot Defense last night.

5 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Right Memphis, posted wrong pbRex didn't like 150... I have .120 on St. 2 (bit too low) and the Xtreme's on both limited's. Ordered .140*100 at Patriot Defense last night.

@MemphisMechanic  The .150" that I currently have (Dawson) are pretty much bottomed out with respect to the rear sight.  I ordered a .160" to see if that gives me a little more adjustment.  

I'm just setting up my second gun so I curious to see the comparison and how close/far apart they are. 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...