Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to USPSA: Where do I start?

I want to get started in USPSA. Its pretty active in my small town/city. (Lake Havasu AZ)

My original idea: Buy a Walther Q5 and shoot either production or limited minor. I could also use it for 3 gun (once I get into that...obviously no time soon...) I currently have a PPQ 4" and love the platform. I can reach the controls easy, etc. I could easily add/remove a TF magwell between USPSA and 3 gun. Apparently stippling is ok now? And I could have different mags for production vs limited.

The Situation: Most shooters here locally are playing the limited game. Literally almost no one shoots production (at least when I look at the score sheets). I want to be competitive. But I also want to have fun and get better at shooting. I know I won't be anywhere competitive at first...

An Idea: I saw a TSO and have been lusting ever since. They come in 40 and 9mm. Ok awesome...but again back to the division situation...I would love to try shooting one to see how I like it...but its hard to even get one in any local shop to even hold. Only gun I have held close to a TSO is a Shadow 2.

Concerns: I'm not much a fan of 40 cal (at least out of the glocks/sigs I have shot). I only have 9mm handguns at the moment. If I shoot production, reloads seem like it adds a whole new thing to learn when starting. If I shoot limited minor with the Q5, I can use the mag well, big mags, etc, but I am at a point disadvantage. If I buy a TSO in 40, there's more recoil and not an easy swap to 9mm for 3 gun, unless I buy a TS 9mm upper or buy another TSO in 9mm. That also gets very expensive that way. Also different divisions, mean different mag pouches/placement/holster setup.

Overall I could be thinking too far ahead of myself, and I just need to pull the trigger on something. Ideally, I wanted originally to be good with a single type/style of gun that I could cross between games. That would be most efficient yes? But now I am lost. I want to start USPSA. 3 gun comes later. I just want to buy once cry once.

Any help? Ideas? What would you do?

PS. I still want a Q5 regardless ?

Thanks!

Edited by mrvip27

I would go hang out at a couple of matches to get a feel for what is going on. Start slow. My general suggestion is to start in production shooting a 9mm of your choice. Learn the ropes, then worrying about being competitive, winning, etc. While your local club may not be big in production, it is still the most popular class overall, at least where I shoot.

Learn to walk before you run. Shooting USPSA is a journey, not a destination. Also join the USPSA so you can get classified, etc.

I went old school. I like 1911s so I shoot single stack. Not the most popular class, but I have fun and that is what it is all about.

Be safe, have fun.

The answer is ALWAYS,  "start with what you have".

Break out the Q4, get down to the first match you can find, and ENJOY while

you're learning.

When I started, 30 years ago, I brought my Browning Hi-Power 9mm and shot

against all the .45's.   I wasn't going to win, or come in 2nd or 3rd anyway, so

I went to learn and enjoy.   And, I did.

Read the rules a few times, get proper gear (muffs, holster, etc), consider taking

an RO course, and try to get some shooting instruction.

Oh, and read BE Forums a LOT.  You'll be amazed by the knowledge here.

Start dry firing, and save your 9mm brass  :)

BTW, if you fire PF 172 .40 in a steel gun (as opposed to shooting PF 200 .40 in

a plastic gun), you'll find that there's not that much difference from the 9mm.

Enjoy, SAFELY.    :) 

First and foremost read the rules and the scoring Shoot what you got.

Shoot a couple of matches and get an idea of what you want to do with equipment.  Check the classifieds here on BE, you can get some really good deals.

BTW, Shooting limited minor is a really bad idea.  if you're going to shoot limited, shoot major, otherwise shoot production. Don't shoot limited because everyone else is. 

I’m new myself, and I can tell you that your local range probably has a few classes beyond concealed carry like defensive handgun 1 & 2 that will get you up to speed with basic gun handling, drawing, grip, and magazine changes and will totally pay off at the meets. 

Read Ben Stoeger’s book and do the dry fire drills.

Mark your brass so the brass hounds at the meets can’t claim it.

Keep a gear checklist and use it before leaving home and before going home.

Earplugs and electric muffs work best. Always bring spare batteries: they wear our faster around other shooters.

As far as guns go, run whatcha brung for awhile until you get a better idea of what you need/want.

9 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

I want to get started in USPSA. Its pretty active in my small town/city. (Lake Havasu AZ)

Any help? Ideas? What would you do?

PS. I still want a Q5 regardless ?

Thanks!

What I would do, since you are asking, is what everyone else is suggesting. Use what you have and then figure out just exactly where you fit in. As far as improving your marksmanship skills I'm fairly confident in saying that if you stick with it and if you practice/dry fire, your skills will improve regardless of the division you shoot. In production class everyone has to reload, everyone shoots minor pf and everyone has a 10 shot magazine capacity. So even keel as far as that goes.

Which reminds me. You will need/want at least 6 magazines to start and probably at least 5 magazine pouches for your belt, I have 6 on mine and I only dabble in production (with a Glock 17 but I'm a piker). 50 or so rounds of ammo weighs a pound or so making it handy to have a competition belt. A sturdy belt, a reasonably good production holster and 6 mag pouches is going to cost somewhere around $300.00 ---a debatable cost but you get the idea. This of course presents to you a quandary because even if you use what you have you will still probably need to spend some money or borrow some tackle. I managed to survive my first few matches using my G17 and three (3) el-cheapo Uncle Mikes double mag pouches and a leather carry belt. I have since discovered that  I'm more of  a Steel Challenge /Revolver/ICORE kind of guy so glad I didn't full bore into USPSA limited or open but I do have at this point a fairly nice production belt set-up maybe some day I will get it out and use it. 

Also put in the back of your mind and regardless of what kind of gun or division you shoot that for future reference the you will probably see a need to park a progressive reloading press and numerous associated tools on your work bench. Playing the game implies sending a considerable amount of lead down range even if it's 9mm.

Money does by the way and contrary to popular folk proverbs buys happiness. Having said all this, it is a fun activity.

Take your PPQ you have and go shoot Production, or better yet Limited minor*, and have fun. You'll figure out real quick if you need better holsters/mag pouches etc.and get a better idea of what holsters and gear all the cool kids are using. 4 or 5 mags, a stiff belt, belt holster (recommend something kydex OWB) and a couple double mag holders or 4 or 5 single mag holders. Many of the inexpensive kydex ones work great, not required you get a "race holster" or top of the line fully adjustable mag pouches.... 

Then start building up your Q5 kit on the side, get it ready, and transition to it when able. Assuming you still want to stock with the Q5 plan.

*Limited minor is a good place to start as 1) you don't have to stage plan as much 2) get to shoot your mags to capacity, less reloads 3) likely won't be competitive anyway first few matches - so have fun and enjoy shooting as you figure things out. 

Thank you for all the awesome replies! Much appreciated!

I do have a war belt with two pistol mag pouches on it (Ar mags too). Also have a really nice kydex with a safari drop. Maybe I could shoot a match of limited minor with my current ppq setup? Then go from there?

Edited by mrvip27

Use what you have, enjoy the rush of the timer, be safe, have fun.

Then after a few matches, figure out your belt set up.

Keep shooting what you have.

Adjust it some more, figure out what works and doesn't.

Then start thinking/planning a new gun, but remember its more than the cost of the gun, don't do it yet.

Shoot production for a season, then decide if you want to stay there with something new, or go up to limited.

That's at least what I wish I did starting.

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

Thank you for all the awesome replies! Much appreciated!

I do have a war belt with two pistol mag pouches on it (Ar mags too). Also have a really nice kydex with a safari drop. Maybe I could shoot a match of limited minor with my current ppq setup? Then go from there?

I give friends exactly that setup with my 4” 9mm PPQ for their first match, in Limited minor it’s a great choice.

16 in the gun and 30 on the belt works just fine. Sometimes you’ll wind up reloading twice, but that works.

I shoot my Q5 in Production. I went G34 > M&P > Tanfoglio > Q5 and do not miss any of the other guns at all.

Going back and forth with the carry gun (that 4” PPQ others borrow) I barely miss a tiny step with the 4” gun versus the 5” as an A-class Production guy. It’ll be a year before you shoot any better with the Q5 so go shoot your PPQ in a match and get a feel for things.

(Also, the PPQ / Q5 mag can be modified to hold 23 rounds pretty easily someday, as long as you don’t need the slide to lock back. TTI basepad, grams engineering spring & follower for a P-320 with minor dremel work.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I love the tanfoglio. I just love ploymer guns as much and guess what? Glock 34? Q5? Tanfoglio?

Work hard and you can make GM or even win Nationals with any one of them. The gun barely matters.

What matters is how hard you practice and how often you shoot the gun you pick. Gear is 25% of your score at the very very VERY most.

Given that, I carry polymer guns and really like the PPQ line. So I sold everything else and my PPS/PPQ carry guns handle almost identically to my USPSA gun. All that dryfire helps keep me safe, too. Even shot my 8rd PPS from Appendix in a match, and won a stage in Limited with it! :D 

13 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I love the tanfoglio. I just love ploymer guns as much and guess what? Glock 34? Q5? Tanfoglio?

Work hard and you can make GM or even win Nationals with any one of them. The gun barely matters.

What matters is how hard you practice and how often you shoot the gun you pick. Gear is 25% of your score at the very very VERY most.

Given that, I carry polymer guns and really like the PPQ line. So I sold everything else and my PPS/PPQ carry guns handle almost identically to my USPSA gun. All that dryfire helps keep me safe, too. Even shot my 8rd PPS from Appendix in a match, and won a stage in Limited with it! :D 

Thats what I have. PPQ/PPS combo and i love it

10 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

Thats what I have. PPQ/PPS combo and i love it

Stick with it. Until you’re in the running for a national chmapionship, the Q5 will not hold you back against the fetishized CZ/Tanfo platform in Production.

And if Hwansik Kim is any indication, perhaps not even then.

(If I shot Limited I’d want a 2011 / Tanfo Limited / CZ TSO for the weight in .40 but I’ll never pervert myself enough to shoot that cartridge. 9mm whore all the way. :D )

EDIT: Also, being alone against the Limited guys is motivating to me. It’s fun beating them with 10 rounds and the minor handicap! .. Although we have gained enough Production heat I’m always chasing someone nowdays.

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Stick with it. Until you’re in the running for a national chmapionship, the Q5 will not hold you back against the fetishized CZ/Tanfo platform in Production.

And if Hwansik Kim is any indication, perhaps not even then.

(If I shot Limited I’d want a 2011 / Tanfo Limited / CZ TSO for the weight in .40 but I’ll never pervert myself enough to shoot that cartridge. 9mm whore all the way. :D )

EDIT: Also, being alone against the Limited guys is motivating to me. It’s fun beating them with 10 rounds and the minor handicap! .. Although we have gained enough Production heat I’m always chasing someone nowdays.

Guess I just have to start somewhere. ?

Start with what you have. Show up at the match and shoot production or limited minor with the equipment you already have. Learn to shoot safely before going out and buying a bunch of new guns and gear. Production is still one of the hottest divisions around since most shooters can't afford a $3000+ custom gun to shoot limited or open division. I'd buy reloading gear or components if you already reload and practice a bunch before jumping around in other divisions. 

55 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

Start with what you have. Show up at the match and shoot production or limited minor with the equipment you already have. Learn to shoot safely before going out and buying a bunch of new guns and gear. Production is still one of the hottest divisions around since most shooters can't afford a $3000+ custom gun to shoot limited or open division. I'd buy reloading gear or components if you already reload and practice a bunch before jumping around in other divisions. 

Thanks for the advice. ? The only downside is that I would need to rework my belt to fit the rules. Idk if the holster sticks to far out from the body as well. I would have to check.

Edited by mrvip27

Some ranges are super strict on first time shooters, but most are not. 

If you show up with gear that is safe and structurally sound and poses no hazards, many places will let you run it for your first match; a novice won’t run off with the 1st place award even if his holster is twice as fast as it’s supposed to be, after all.

Then we’ll quite heavily suggest you purchase legal gear when you get home.

27 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Some ranges are super strict on first time shooters, but most are not. 

If you show up with gear that is safe and structurally sound and poses no hazards, many places will let you run it for your first match; a novice won’t run off with the 1st place award even if his holster is twice as fast as it’s supposed to be, after all.

Then we’ll quite heavily suggest you purchase legal gear when you get home.

That would make things easier lol

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

Thanks for the advice. ? The only downside is that I would need to rework my belt to fit the rules. Idk if the holster sticks to far out from the body as well. I would have to check.

The rule book is accessible on the USPSA website to see where the holster and mag pouches are allowed to be on the belt for the division you shoot. Also the max distance from the inside of the belt to the gun or mags is 2 inches. 

https://uspsa.org/rules

24 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

The rule book is accessible on the USPSA website to see where the holster and mag pouches are allowed to be on the belt for the division you shoot. Also the max distance from the inside of the belt to the gun or mags is 2 inches. 

https://uspsa.org/rules

Thanks ?

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Given that, I carry polymer guns and really like the PPQ line. So I sold everything else and my PPS/PPQ carry guns handle almost identically to my USPSA gun. OgAll that dryfire helps keep me safe, too. Even shot my 8rd PPS from Appendix in a match, and won a stage in Limited with it! :D 

He's right.  The equipment is fairly minor... after a point.  

Get a decent holster, mag pouches and belt.  Having your gear in the same spot every time will make your learning faster and easier.  I bought Ghost mag pouches because it was an affordable  option.  Never changed because they work.

Now the gun,  it really doesn't much matter as long as it fits you and you are comfortable with it.  Often times people will chase around for perfect gear and all that does is send you to the poor house.  But, if your gun feels funky every time you use it, it may not fit YOU.  So, best advice is to ask to shoot as many guns as you can.  And really give them a good going over.  I started in steel challenge with a witness match that I bought because it felt good in the hand and pointed well for me.  The CZ platform family just seem to fit my hand and eye pretty well.  It may be total BS to you, so you have to figure out it for yourself.  (sorry!)

Best way to get started is to grab your gear and show up. Proudly profess total ignorance and you will probably be put in a group with people that are known good with new bees. Just go slow, shoot  as good as you can and have fun.  Nobody has ever given a new person a hard time at any match I've ever been to. Usually just the opposite with offered advice, tips and even loans of equipment.

^ this

I have a Shadow2 and an M&P 9l performance Center with a shield mini sight on it.

Equipment wise I am all set. I'm a pretty accurate shooter (I don't like to waste shots)

I've gotten smoked at my first 2 USPSA matches and the Walls of Steel match I participated in last weekend.

It doesn't bother me because I'm just starting out but it's been very eye opening.

thank god it's so much fun otherwise I may be looking at getting into bowling of something LOL!

Go with what you've got and get your feet wet, you'll have a blast