Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guns that make weight for IDPA SSP or ESP or "The search for bigfoot"

keonard

I will be buying a new 9mm FULL METAL semi-automatic pistol specifically for IDPA this fall, when I'm done with revolver.  Most guns like this are just over the weight limit for IDPA.  The few I have been able to find are the following.  

CZ SP-01 Shadow Target II

Tanfoglio Witness Limited Custom (41 oz)

Arex Alpha  (has anyone held one yet)

Wilson Combat Beretta

SPS Pantera (does it fit in the box for ESP???)

Edited by keonard
correction

I will be buying a new 9mm FULL METAL semi-automatic pistol specifically for IDPA this fall, when I'm done with revolver.  Most guns like this are just over the weight limit for IDPA.  The few I have been able to find are the following.  

CZ SP-01 Shadow Target II
Tanfoglio Witness Limited Custom (might have wrong model, there is only one at around 41 oz)
Arex Alpha  (has anyone held one yet)
Wilson Combat Beretta

STI Hawk 39 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Arex looks like a cool gun....  guess it works for IDPA by fitting box.

FWIW I don't see the Arex models listed on the USPSA Production Handgun list? Anyone heard if it is in process?

The Tanfoglio Limited Custom is a no go for IDPA due to its cone barrel.

In Tanfoglio land is you want all metal for USPSA & IDPA you have the new stock 1, the old non-rail Match and if you can find one the Limited Pro.

3 hours ago, pfcchambers said:

The Tanfoglio Limited Custom is a no go for IDPA due to its cone barrel.

In Tanfoglio land is you want all metal for USPSA & IDPA you have the new stock 1, the old non-rail Match and if you can find one the Limited Pro.

Actually, I know someone who shoots the Limited Custom for IDPA, It's the Elite Stock II that has that illegal barrel.  Actually you are correct, Cone can only be 4.25 inches long for ESP.....I forget.....maybe the Witness II????  Hmmmm.  I could swear he shot that Limited Custom.....maybe he is not legal then.....Tanfoglio:  so many cool guns, none of which I can use......They will probably not be on my list then....

9 hours ago, pfcchambers said:

Well it's all kind of crap anyways. The Sig X5 has a heavy bull barrel but it's been deemed legal. And it's longer than 4.25 inches. I'm not a big IDPA fan. But it beats not shooting. 

Its cause IDPA rules follow no logic lol.

I forgot about the CK IDPA 2011 RangerTrace posted above. If I was focusing on IDPA, and it wasn't an afterthought, NFS shoot just to shoot kind of match for me... id drop for that.  

Atlas Gunworks has a new IDPA specific pistol that is right at 41.5 oz and I'll bet a dollar there's nothing else that's 100% legal that will touch it right now in terms of performance. It doesn't come cheap, and it's not even on the website yet but you'll be seeing them more often real quick here. Can also be ordered with the new evo grip, but must be the titanium version which is a $1,200 PART. The EVO doesn't come in aluminum so won't meet weight. Not sure why actually, but that's the way it is for now. 

ATLAS_IDPA_1.jpg

53 minutes ago, wheezy said:

Atlas Gunworks has a new IDPA specific pistol that is right at 41.5 oz and I'll bet a dollar there's nothing else that's 100% legal that will touch it right now in terms of performance. It doesn't come cheap, and it's not even on the website yet but you'll be seeing them more often real quick here. Can also be ordered with the new evo grip, but must be the titanium version which is a $1,200 PART. The EVO doesn't come in aluminum so won't meet weight. Not sure why actually, but that's the way it is for now. 

ATLAS_IDPA_1.jpg

All that dustcover is legal...?

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

FLDC is now legal as is slide lightening, so really that Atlas is kind of out dated already.

OK, I'll bite. "Outdated"? Educate us, Mike.

What good is slide lightening if it destroys the balance of a pistol? If a gun naturally wants to return to zero, is there a reason for cutting a bunch of holes in it?  I'm admittedly very new to shooting pistol, so I don't really know. My thought was, if I press the trigger, the gun goes bang, there's a hole exactly where I was aiming, and then like magic the sights are right back on that spot that it would be a good thing for competition. 

I guess stuff that works extraordinarily well is outdated if it's not full of holes with some gold and purple parts. ;)

On 5/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, pfcchambers said:

and if you can find one the Limited Pro.

Should be findable. Patriot Defense is importing a new version that is blued & uses CZ style mags, I think they are taking pre-orders, I have been told that they still make weight. 

There is a Unicorn in the classifieds (shameless plug).  

On 5/22/2018 at 10:44 PM, pfcchambers said:

Well it's all kind of crap anyways. The Sig X5 has a heavy bull barrel but it's been deemed legal. And it's longer than 4.25 inches. I'm not a big IDPA fan. But it beats not shooting. 

My last straw was when they outlawed my CCP gun (4" XD) by changing the rules so that it was 1/4" too tall. May soften eventually but I think they have permanently converted me to just steel & USPSA. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

15 hours ago, wheezy said:

OK, I'll bite. "Outdated"? Educate us, Mike.

What good is slide lightening if it destroys the balance of a pistol? If a gun naturally wants to return to zero, is there a reason for cutting a bunch of holes in it?  I'm admittedly very new to shooting pistol, so I don't really know. My thought was, if I press the trigger, the gun goes bang, there's a hole exactly where I was aiming, and then like magic the sights are right back on that spot that it would be a good thing for competition. 

I guess stuff that works extraordinarily well is outdated if it's not full of holes with some gold and purple parts. ;)

It was a bit of a joke, If the gun is perfect, then it's perfect. Now, is that a 4" gun? It may be the picture, but it looks short. Looks like a Bull barrel, IDPA rules are fuzzy on bull barrels in 1911's unless it's a 4" gun. I've considered playing with a 4" gun in IDPA.

Anyway, if it was built to max out the current IDPA rules (which change with the wind) I would of thought it would have holes in the slide. I wonder, if the heavier slide is perfect why does Atlas make the slide on their limited guns lighter? Are their IDPA guns better than their Limited guns? My guess is they wanted to only take off enough weight to get down to the weight limit and nothing more.

The reality is you're right, it doesn't make a difference. Most of the difference will be subjective in how you want your gun to "feel". I intend to do some testing of slide weights to see if I can really tell the difference. I have two identical 1911's one with a heavier slide and lighter frame and the other the opposite. Both weight the same overall and are set up exactly the same. I just want to do that so I can see it for myself in back to back testing. I haven't done it yet, because it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Also note, I have no purple parts. :)

Edited by Racinready300ex

You got a legit laugh out of me Mike. 

I wasn't kidding when I said I am pretty new to pistols. So if I say something stupid, no kidding, educate me; that's a huge part of why I'm here. 

The Atlas does have a bull barrel but it is 4.25" - which is good to go with current rules. Which I think may in part answer your next question as well. Again, just how my brain thinks, not saying this is right. The top tri cuts probably remove the most weight compared to some holes. A 4" slide vs a 5" slide, it would make sense to me that the longer slide would need a bit more material removed to balance the gun. I'm VERY new to IDPA, and have had a few friends tell me about the constant rule changes which really seems kinda lame to me. 

I'd love to see an engineer that speaks regular english demonstrate what is actually going on with weight of various components and how that balance plays a role when shooting. Would be cool to see slow motion video of various weight slides on the same frame to see how it affects the recoil and return to zero.

Sorry for the poke, but I kinda had to, you didn't say no gold parts by the way ;) 

I couldn't tell that the slide was tri-topped in the picture, that takes a lot of weight off, and with it being short that take more off. I have a limited gun that is flat topped with holes in the slide and that slide is heavier than my single stack gun that's just tri topped.

I'd still cut holes in it just to bug the IDPA people with my gamer gun. But that's just me.

As for Gold......my limited gun has a little gold on it.

24799644_1698635150148133_2422424861432751963_o.thumb.jpg.cc368d4da166252baab43fbe670b0d54.jpg