Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Stage W/ Weak Shoulder/hand Firing

stingerjg

Im wanting to do a rifle stage this month at my local club. I want to incorperate strong and weak shoulder shooting into the stage. I have a pretty good idea of how to set up the stage. I would like some tips on how to word the stage description so it will accomidate all the shooters, both right and left handed. Any tips would be appreciated.

Im including what i have for the match description. The target distances will prob be at 15yard to 30yards.

Strong_side__weak_side.DOC

I could be wrong and I'm not going to search my rule books, but...

If the stage is not standards, then you cannot specify shooting positions.

I don't think you can specify weak or strong shoulder shooting -- ever.

If I were to really want to force weak & strong shoulder, then I would simply place targets so far around a wall so that you would be forced to use your right should for one side & you left for the other.

Clearly not freestyle, you'd best leave out the part that reads; "RULES: Practical Shooting Handbook, Latest Edition"

As you are not simulating disablement of one hand, what is the purpose?

Tell us what you want to accomplish, there may be a way. If you just want to make the competitors do goofy things, then, no way.

Well first of all we dont use the 'book' rules for our matches. Prob what ill do is make the edge of the box smaller than the width of the barricade.

As you are not simulating disablement of one hand, what is the purpose?

In a tactical situation, many times you have to fire from the weak shoulder so more of your body remains behind cover.

Im not wanting to make the competitors do goofy things. There are instances of shooting a shotgun prone. That isn't considered goofy.

Im asking how to word the description so there will be less confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up running this stage at the local club last weekend. I did not require the use of the weak shoulder, although a few did switch to the weak side to shoot some of the targets. I did keep the mandatory reload. That gave alot of ppl the most problems w/ the stage. Rifle shooters (including me w/ C-Mag) get dependent on having 30+ rounds to shoot a 28rd stage that we forget how much of a challenge it is to do a reload. In all it was an exciting and chanllenging stage to shoot.

There was a stage at the 2004 3 gun nats that did just what you are asking for. 3 walled room with port (about 4in X 14in) flush with the outside wall, on the ground, one each side. I think 7 flashers thur each port from 40 to 100yds. Position of ports forced the left side to be shot off the left shoulder & right side same thing. CD did not tell you had to do anything. There just was no way to do anything else.------Larry