Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet feeding and seating die?

RCBS and Hornady seem to have feeder/dies that do this in one station at the same time.  however i don't see anyone running them or even really any info on them minus a few places selling them.

anyone here try one?  i am guessing they don't work well if at all?

I think you referring to the seating/crimping die. They seat the bullet and crimp the case in the same die. A lot of people use this if they want to use a powder check die or bullet feeder on a press. I've never used one but my friend bought a Hornady die set for 9mm that came with that die. I didn't care for it but he liked it since he was new to reloading and could run a powder check station.

I have been using my Lee seating die to also perform the crimp, so I can use a powder check die.  I use the RCBS lockout die.  I have been doing this for my .40 loads for a long time with great success.  Have probably loaded well over 40,000 using this set up.  If one doesn't pass the plunk test I run it through a Redding GRX die carbide push through die.  

The feeder die is for setting the bullet on the case and that’s it. I’ve tried all of them and the double alpha mr bullet feeder is the best one yet. I have some old hornady ones in the scrap bin right now.

Double alpha also make a seating die that factory crimps while it seats the bullet. It seems to work well so far

18 hours ago, Kraj said:

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/rifle-bullet-feeder#!/

I think this is what he was referring to. It was advertised as being able to feed, seat and crimp in one station. Never used it but I know it was only for rifle bullets not pistol. 

yes that there, RCBS had one as well but i don't see anyone using them.  guessing they don't work?

3 hours ago, sardo67 said:

yes that there, RCBS had one as well but i don't see anyone using them.  guessing they don't work?

I don't reload rifle enough the justify having one so I don't know. I've also never heard of anyone using them