Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loudest muzzle device for 9mm pcc

In my past three matches I have had four reshoots because the timer didn't pick up the gun. my question to the group is, what muzzle device is going to send the most energy back to the timer? 

Edited by gliney00
In my past three matches I have had four reshoots because the timer didn't pick up the gun. my question to the group is, what muzzle device is going to send the most energy back to the timer? 

The problem is the ROs and/or shot timer sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s start with... what’s on your gun right now?

If you aren’t running a comp or brake, it doesn’t seem to take much to make a big difference.

The cheapest option is to grab a $40-50 comp like the surefire procomp and run a 3/8” drill bit through the center of it to open it up to .375

I’ve got one on my PCC build with the holes on the top opened up, and it helped flatten the dot out a lot too. The gun is noticeably louder to those on either side of me.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I had a reshoot and then the RO changed the sensitivity on the timer.... kept the timer in the same spot and it picked up every shot.... 

The setting is buried in the menu... crank it up to max for the PCC's, but keep an eye on it so other bays that are shooting don't register... if they don't, game on.

52 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

The problem is the ROs and/or shot timer sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1, 100%  I have two TACCOM ULW's, and most of my shooting partners run the same barrel.  The shroud on this barrel basically makes it a 9mm with a 10"+ linear compensator, which are believed to make the gun quieter rather than louder, and we've never had a problem with timers picking up the shot.  I shoot subsonic rounds with no problem at all.  I'd say your real issue is that your RO's have their sensitivity settings too low, and/or they aren't standing close enough to the shooter for the final shot.

So... before investing in a brake for no other than to increase noise, especially if you like your current setup, this is what I'd suggest:

1. Show up with your own timer adjusted to the highest (or at least higher) setting and make sure they use it when timing you.  If you already own a timer, this is a $0 solution.  If not, a CED7000 will pick up anything, if you don't mind the tiny screen.

2. If you're using subsonic ammo, try switching to supersonic, as these will be much louder.

If you still want to change your comp (what's on it now?) just find one that you like which has rearward facing baffles.  Personally, I'd go with a Seekins ATC that's been bored out like MemphisMechanic suggests, but that's going to add weight to the end of your gun and throw the balance/swing off of what you're currently used to experiencing.  Really, any comp should make it louder than no comp.

Edited by jkrispies

Anyone with a drill press can bore a 5.56 comp out for 9mm if you just want to slap a cheap eBay compensator on to try out.

Stand it on the drill’s table, clamp it in a pair of vise grips, then run a 3/8” bit down it. You already have a perfectly centered pilot hole, so even a hand drill might work just fine.

B2F23CE5-571C-49F5-8E0A-73F5398519F9.jpeg.204f29847424b86064be34bd534c7d53.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

thank you all for the replies. I have a Yankee hill brake on it now, bringing my own shot timer is a good idea I will give it a shot at the next match.

just a little frustrated, I threw away a really really good run this past weekend and replaced it with garbage on the next attempt.

If you are experiencing any leading in your barrel, make sure whatever comp you want to try has reasonably large holes.  Mine came with a Lantac Dragon, and the small holes on top are a pain in the ass to clean lead out of.  The large side holes are a lot easier to clean out.  I changed my load a bit and that cut the amount of leading way down.  Of course, if the RMR jacketed bullets I ordered to try work out, it will be MUCH easier.  :roflol:

36 minutes ago, gliney00 said:

thank you all for the replies. I have a Yankee hill brake on it now, bringing my own shot timer is a good idea I will give it a shot at the next match.

just a little frustrated, I threw away a really really good run this past weekend and replaced it with garbage on the next attempt.

Adjust the sensitivity to high, and it will solve your problem, guaranteed.  

1 hour ago, Ming the Merciless said:

LOL!  They won't let me use my own timer unless I let them use it for everyone else on the squad, just because I'm an engineer in the electronics industry and it's pretty easy to change the clock rate on timers. 

Sounds like a personal problem! ?

If you're worried about the timer picking up, definitely *don't* use the NERD Nano comp.  Of all the PCCs in my circle of friends, mine's the only one that's had issues with the timer.

Edited by mahamoti

Approach it like the RO's for Steel challenge for shooters who shoot 22's.  

What I found that works well (besides the sensitivity setting) is:

1) You only need to pick up the first and last shot.  when starting, if you hold the timer behind the shooters head (around the neck area) it usually picks up the first shot.  

2) if possible, the timer needs to be somewhere under the ejection port for subsequent shots and to record the last shot.

2 hours ago, mahamoti said:

If you're worried about the timer picking up, definitely *don't* use the NERD Nano comp.  Of all the PCCs in my circle of friends, mine's the only one that's had issues with the timer.

It only has side chambers anyway, so why bother with it in the first place? All we’re looking for is something to tap the muzzle downward, and even slightly flatten out the dot.

Side ports to reduce felt recoil? Meh.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It only has side chambers anyway, so why bother with it in the first place? All we’re looking for is something to tap the muzzle downward, and even slightly flatten out the dot.

Side ports to reduce felt recoil? Meh.

I'm not really arguing one way or the other, since I think 99% of comps on PCC are just for looks anyway, but doesn't JP "just" use side ports in their 3-port as well?

I went with the Nano just to keep OAL down, w/o having to deal with a pin/weld, while looking better than a thread protector.  I'd do a different comp were I building another, but mostly to help with the low noise/timer annoyance.

Edited by mahamoti
  • 2 weeks later...