Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Stainless II grip problems?

p5200

I really like this pistol but, when I try riding my thumb on top of the thumb safety I don't always get the grip, safety depressed enough to be able to fire the gun? If I cram the web of my hand into the grip safety then, when I move my thumb over on top of the (thumb) safety it feels really awkward and actually hurts my thumb. I've tried riding thumb below thumb safety and of course, once in a while during recoil my thumb has turned the safety on by accident. Any tips or links I could go to that might help would be greatly appreciated  Thanks Folks!  ?

I have the same problem on all 1911 platforms.

For my competition 1911/2011 guns, i just disable the grip safety so i can get my hand as high as possible on the grip and keep my thumb on the safety.

For a carry gun, i wouldnt disable any safeties.   

Might get the grip safety pinned aka deactivated so it stops giving you problems. I ride the thumb safety on all my 1911's/2011's and have small hands. So I had to pin all of the grip safeties. 

Sounds like you have a smaller hand. And the Kimbers tend to have little fatter grips. So, you might try changing the grips to VZ grips, as I did. It'll make the grip a little thinner, and allow you to get more of your hand around the grip, and put your thumb in a more comfortable position over the thumb safety.

Thanks for the tips! are there any tutorials on how to go about pinning it?  ? Wow, after googling I noticed that to be a pretty common problem for quite a few people. I think I'll try more practice but if I keep having problems I'll probably just trade it in on something else.

Edited by p5200

35 minutes ago, p5200 said:

Thanks for the tips! are there any tutorials on how to go about pinning it?  ? Wow, after googling I noticed that to be a pretty common problem for quite a few people. I think I'll try more practice but if I keep having problems I'll probably just trade it in on something else.

Since it's a Series II Kimber it should be a Swartz series trigger group with the goofy firing pin block. Not engaging the grip safety all the way will result in not letting the firing pin block more up and let the gun fire. If you don't feel comfortable pinning the grip safety you might try to remove the Swartz system first.

10 hours ago, bjones6686 said:

Since it's a Series II Kimber it should be a Swartz series trigger group with the goofy firing pin block. Not engaging the grip safety all the way will result in not letting the firing pin block more up and let the gun fire. If you don't feel comfortable pinning the grip safety you might try to remove the Swartz system first.

Yep that's what it is alright!  ?  Seems, I've read somewhere that you could replace the firing pin with a series 70 pin to get around that or, is that done for a different purpose? Please correct me if I'm wrong!  Thanks!