Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO questions

igolfat8

I’ve never even seen a TSO in person but it’s been on my radar for several years. I hope those of you who own one can answer some simple questions. Is the grip angle the same as a 1911 / 2011 or more Glock-ish? Does the grip allow you to get a higher grip than a 1911  / 2011 platform? Is the bore axis any lower or closer to the grip because it sure looks like the barrel sets lower in the frame in the pictures that be seen?

Grip is more like a 1911/2011 and the grip allows me to get a higher grip comparable to a 1911/2011. I like the checkering too. In fact, the checkering is better than the old Czech mate. It’s heavy but it helps in lessening the felt recoil. Trigger is very light and you can shoot it in competition right out of the box. 

If the angle is similar to the shadow 2 then I can tell you it's much closer to a 1911 than a GLOCK. I think the CZ angle is around 108 and the 1911 is at 110. It's very easy to go between the pistols with minimal dry firing. I have to cant my wrist forward a tiny bit more, but not by much. I wish I could grip my 1911 as high as my new Shadow though.

Edited by Foxtrotx1

The grip angle may be similar to the 1911/2011 but the feel is not.  The web of your hand goes much deeper (and higher) into the beaver tail and the 'hump' where the GS would be on a 2011 is more pronounced.  The bore is decidedly lower than on a 2011 and the slide is lower and lighter.  All in all it is much easier to shoot a TS/TSO faster than a 2011.  Mostly because muzzle rise it less with the same PF.  Another advantage is you can shoot 172PF major and 140PF minor with the same 13 lb. recoil spring and run 100%.

I'll start this off saying I have not owned one, I have handle and shot them on multiple occasions. I was going to get one.

I shoot glocks and a STI DVC.

The angle is more comparable to a 1911, but definitely different. Id say a bit more beretta/sig-ish. Overall its comfortable and points nice. It doesn't feel as fat as the 2011 does.

I am more consistent upon presentation with the 2011, I have more left and right deviation with the CZ... I can chalk that up to having many more rounds through the 2011. The safety on the CZ is not as positive, nor in as ergonomic of a spot (IMHO).

Bore axis is lower on the CZ. I can keep my 2011 just as flat as the CZ, they recoil differently, but id say one isn't better than the other. Id still like to get one, put a few thousand rounds down range and see if I'm better with one. The mags/cost/etc seem like a much better deal.

You will love the TSO if you choose to get it.

Thanks for all of the feedback folks. I've shot Glocks for many years and am accustomed to its grip angle and I like how close I can get my high grip to the bore axis. I have a couple 2011's but don't shoot them nearly as fast and consistently as my Glocks. 

4 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Thanks for all of the feedback folks. I've shot Glocks for many years and am accustomed to its grip angle and I like how close I can get my high grip to the bore axis. I have a couple 2011's but don't shoot them nearly as fast and consistently as my Glocks. 

I mentioned this on another website but I recently took a two day class with Robert Vogel. (If you don't know him, just youtube or google.) He is also strictly a Glock guy. I let him feel the trigger on my TSO and he said "Whoa" and he then asked to shoot it. After shooting it, he said I am going to have to get one of these to play with. After saying this, everyone in the class was then coming up to me to ask to handle/shoot it. You won't regret the purchase.

First thing I replaced when I got my TSO was the safety. I installed an extended shadow 2 safety on mine for the more positive feel and the shelf is located higher too. Not as high as a 1911/2011 but way higher and better than the stock TSO safety.

good luck finding an extended shadow 2 safety though.

First thing I replaced when I got my TSO was the safety. I installed an extended shadow 2 safety on mine for the more positive feel and the shelf is located higher too. Not as high as a 1911/2011 but way higher and better than the stock TSO safety.

good luck finding an extended shadow 2 safety though.
A great alternative is the CZC safety. I absolutely love mine and I wish I could find thumbrest with that kind of shelf (man, I'm sounding like a broken record with this thumbrest)3a57014b623344c6d1fea9639c01dd77.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Here’s a pic showing the advance ratio thumb rest on the right and stock TSO thumb rest on the left.

A7_B782_A1-6725-4_E9_D-95_B9-7_ABA7_D880

Here it is mounted on my TSO. I like it because it has a bigger pad.

7041_D478-_D823-4_BCF-_BD2_B-157_A9_FC1_

4788_E819-_B221-45_BC-_A30_C-0_F6651776_

BFCFBF26-_B049-443_E-80_B8-069654_F0640_

Edited by George16
Spelling

For what it's worth, here's some pics of Sebo's "Large Extended Safety".  A bit more expensive, but only took 3 weeks to ship from CZ.

https://seboweapons.com/en/cz-spare-parts/173-large-safety-right-hand.html

By the way, you can get the Shadow 2 safety from them too at a little premium if you're desperate: https://seboweapons.com/en/cz-spare-parts/127-cz-wide-safety-right-hand.html

Screenshot_20180521-203308.png

11 hours ago, IronicTwitch said:

For what it's worth, here's some pics of Sebo's "Large Extended Safety".  A bit more expensive, but only took 3 weeks to ship from CZ.

https://seboweapons.com/en/cz-spare-parts/173-large-safety-right-hand.html

By the way, you can get the Shadow 2 safety from them too at a little premium if you're desperate: https://seboweapons.com/en/cz-spare-parts/127-cz-wide-safety-right-hand.html

Screenshot_20180521-203308.png

Whoa. That looks higher than the CZC extended safety. Do you feel that it is higher??

I might need this. I like the CZC, but it needs to be at least 1/8" higher, imo.

I too was set to buy a TSO is 9mm, but after reading here that you can get a 9mm barrel and have two guns in one - I went the 40 route.  Now I can do USPSA majorand minor.  Now if I can just find a Shadow 2 extended safety that is in the US.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/187001-barrel-swap-on-a-tactical-sport/

Edited by NCShadow2

I don't understand why one would buy a 9mm barrel for a TSO 40.  Two sets of mags, two sets of reloading equipment, and a not-perfect breech face fit.  Just load 40 down.  I can shoot 172PF and 140PF loads with the same 13 lb. recoil spring.  I can shoot 135gr sub-minor loads for Steel Challenge with a 10 lb. spring.

8 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't understand why one would buy a 9mm barrel for a TSO 40.  Two sets of mags, two sets of reloading equipment, and a not-perfect breech face fit.  Just load 40 down.  I can shoot 172PF and 140PF loads with the same 13 lb. recoil spring.  I can shoot 135gr sub-minor loads for Steel Challenge with a 10 lb. spring.

Just because they want to ?

4 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

Whoa. That looks higher than the CZC extended safety. Do you feel that it is higher??

I might need this. I like the CZC, but it needs to be at least 1/8" higher, imo.

I haven't felt the CZC version, but scrolling between the pictures above in this thread the Sebo looks quite a bit higher.   

Not quite 1911-ish like below (Wilson high ride is what I was hoping for), but the Sebo still has an up angle to it. 

wilson high ride.png

Edited by IronicTwitch

Why does it need to be higher? I have one and while I understand the need to have your hands placed high on the grip, I find where my thumb lands on the safety it's perfect at that height. I think if it was higher it would be difficult to engage the safety the way it was meant (rocking instead of lifting)

3 hours ago, Inkw8ll said:

Why does it need to be higher? I have one and while I understand the need to have your hands placed high on the grip, I find where my thumb lands on the safety it's perfect at that height. I think if it was higher it would be difficult to engage the safety the way it was meant (rocking instead of lifting)

It needs to be higher because I feel it is too low for me. Some gloves are too small for me too I have found. Pants too!

I’m super glad it works for you though.

Edited by NoKimberDave
Spelling

On 5/22/2018 at 9:40 AM, John92awd said:

What about converting a .40 to a 9major open  gun? Czech mate barrell?

I thought about doing this, but it's a completely different slide/upper.

By the time you got everything figured out, I'm guessing you'd be in it for almost $2k.  Might as well just save a few more pennies and buy a used Czechmate at that point...