Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shielded Thumb Safety

bjones6686

What shielded thumb safety is everyone using? Just recently seen the new DAA shielded thumb safety and was wondering if anyone has tried one. Is so how is it compared to the Phoenix Trinity or Double Tap shielded thumb safety?

1 hour ago, BoyGlock said:

I recently fitted all 4 of my 2011s w/ DAA and quite happy w/ it. But I dont have any experience w/ other shielded safeties to compare with. 

Your picture in the Zig Racker cut thread really caught my attention with the DAA shielded thumb safety. I didn't even know DAA made it until I seen your picture. Only thing that worries me is it is MIM. But DAA has great customer service and I'm sure if it broke they would take care of it.

The limcat looks nice in the picture's. Look's like it has very wide paddles on both side of the safety allowing you to profile and shape it to your liking. Also the double detent notch for the plunger spring is interesting to me. Wonder what the safety engagement and disengagement feels like.

I got the double alpha shielded thumb safety, after a few minor tweaks I really like it. I reshaped the profile for my thumb and hand, I was having issues with both sides digging into my hands and also pushing up on the safety because of it, now it's perfect. one other thing is I made the detent for the plunger deeper so when the safety was disengaged it had a more positive click and locked in just a bit tighter so it wouldn't engage the safety quite as easily by accident.

I use the PT shielded safeties.  I had to have my strong hand side trimmed a bit because it was causing a callous so big on my hand from dry fire that I couldn't push the safety down any more.  The safeties have been great though. 

22 hours ago, bjones6686 said:

The limcat looks nice in the picture's. Look's like it has very wide paddles on both side of the safety allowing you to profile and shape it to your liking. Also the double detent notch for the plunger spring is interesting to me. Wonder what the safety engagement and disengagement feels like.

It's very positive on and off, at least it is on the 3 Limcats i own that have them.

They are made to shave down and contour to you, all mine are a lot smaller than shown in the pics .

12 hours ago, Sprig said:

It's very positive on and off, at least it is on the 3 Limcats i own that have them.

They are made to shave down and contour to you, all mine are a lot smaller than shown in the pics .

How well do the Limcat work with shielding your thumb from riding the slide? Is there enough shielding to keep your thumb off of the slide?

I don't have large thumbs so i had them reduced to about 1/2 the height they come and i never hit the slide .They are tall to begin with, taller than others i have seen and felt . Guys i shoot with that have larger hands or flintstone thumbs tend to have Johnny leave them at the taller point .

Edited by Sprig

I have a PT and am not crazy about because it’s a bit oversized. May try one of the other options out there that aren’t as wide. Honestly I don’t think they are a huge advantage. I have one gun with and the other without and can’t tell a significant difference besides the PT one getting in the way sometimes while indexing out

I wish that someone would make a shielded ambi safety that used a hammer/sear dovetail type fastening method similar to the new EGW  ambi safety system. Any ideas on how to get such a thing produce?

8 hours ago, zzt said:

EGW has applied for a patent on that method.  So I doubt it will happen unless someone pays for a License.

Interesting.... Wilson bulletproof also has that system (it incorporates a screw that's adaptable). Ed Brown also has a safety that uses that captive system without the screw!

Maybe they are paying for the rights?

Edited by Stymie12000

The Limcat arrived last week. The finish was great.  I had to do a little fitting but nothing too major. I like the double detent feature.  The safety is really wide. It allows to shape whatever profile works for you. I did not touch the left side since I am right handed. The right side I needed to take a lot off of. It was digging into my knuckle. Nevertheless, not much work to get it where I like it.

I shot a match with it last weekend. It worked flawless. I really like the extra wide paddle. And the sheilds are tall enough that I cannot tide the slide with my thumb! 

It may be a little more than other brands. But it is not MIM and I do like it. I will definitely use in future builds!

Has anyone used just the shield?

I just recently had EGW ambi put on my Akai but now I am slowing the slide down with my thumb when I am death gripping the gun.

I hate to mess with new safety now, so I was thinking that i would try just the shield.

Done anyone have any opinions on that and which ones do people use?

Thanks