Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Tuning

stuey93

Looking to do some mag tuning for my TSO .40

As I have been having some feeding issues. Does anyone have some baseline specs I can go off of or possibly some suggestions for someone who is doing this for the first time?

What exact issues are you having? What spring and follower are you using? When I owned a tactical soort I never had a mag feeding issue. I used the CZ Custom 140mm extended baspads and the CZ Custom spring/follower kit they recommended to use. It was part number 10522.

What exact issues are you having? What spring and follower are you using? When I owned a tactical soort I never had a mag feeding issue. I used the CZ Custom 140mm extended baspads and the CZ Custom spring/follower kit they recommended to use. It was part number 10522.

All factory springs and followers that came with the TSO, I’ve been getting double feeds. Lots of dryfire so I was thinking that may have thrown the feedlips out of spec. Running 13lb recoil spring and the preinstalled hammer spring which I believe is around 18lb

20 minutes ago, stuey93 said:

All factory springs and followers that came with the TSO, I’ve been getting double feeds. Lots of dryfire so I was thinking that may have thrown the feedlips out of spec. Running 13lb recoil spring and the preinstalled hammer spring which I believe is around 18lb

Double feed like one in the chamber and the slide picked up another round? If so probably a extractor issue and not a mag related issue. You running a 13lb spring with the factory polymer guide rod or a aftermarket steel guide rod?

I’m going to slap a new extractor and spring in it as that was also a suspicion I had. Anyway to visually inspect for damage? Guiderod is stainless from the factory in the TSO. I had two stove pipes in my last match[emoji37]

12 minutes ago, stuey93 said:

I’m going to slap a new extractor and spring in it as that was also a suspicion I had. Anyway to visually inspect for damage? Guiderod is stainless from the factory in the TSO. I had two stove pipes in my last matchemoji37.png

Compare the extractor in the gun to the new one you buy to replace it with. Could try one of the extra power extractor springs and see if that helps at all. 

16 hours ago, NCShadow2 said:

what followers so I get that lock the slide back after last round?

None of the spring/follower and extension combos on the market reliably lock back the slide.

2 hours ago, NCShadow2 said:

someone suggested to use the grams springs and the factory follow for the TSO for reliable auto-forward and slide lock.  Did one last night, and will report back.

They do auto forward and feed reliably, but none of the aftermarket followers will lock back reliably.

So I installed the Grams 11 spring and switched out the follower to the factory CZ and it locks slide back like I wanted. Took a little work to get fitting.  Stretch the springs just a little.  

Edited by NCShadow2

tune the mag like you would any other. you're basically step by step looking at every piece in the process and blue printing them.

• take the upper off the gun. take complete mags and insert them. look at where they drag. look at how high they insert.
  • dissemble mags. insert tube only into frame only. any sticking? does each tube drop free? when you find a high point or a spot that needs attention eliminate it.
  • look in frame and make sure there are no issues with grips, mag release, brake, spring sticking out to far. take care of if so.
  • check each component of your mags. look at them closely for any rough edge, nick or bend. i use a fine file and a nylon hammer to adjust them.
  • reassemble mags and insert into lower with slide stop installed. do they all insert cleanly and to the right height? do they all release and drop cleanly? does the follower engage the slide stop? repeat with 1, 2 and 3 dummy rounds in the mag.
  • look at the slide now. is the extractor clean and with good tension?  is the cartridge rail smooth and polished? is the breech face smooth? beveled ever so slightly at the leading edge of the cartridge rail?
  • assemble pistol. check all functions again with empty mag. then one round. then two rounds. then three. then half full mags. then full mags. yep, i have made 22 dummy rounds so i can do this. and to have realistic weight in the mag when dry firing. do things in slow motion and then do them quickly. note the errors if any in operation. can they be repeated. look at the process see what the issue is and address it.
  • tips. have completely separate match mags from dryfire mags. the longevity your match mags gain is worth they extra 100 to 200 bucks.
  • tips. unlike a 2011 mag i keep the feed lips the same on my cz mags back to front. take just the mag tube and use caliper or micrometer  and measure the width between feed lips of the mag at the very back. remember that number. now measure at the front. it could be bigger or smaller. if it is bigger then lay the tube flat and hit it with the nylon faced hammer until they match. if smaller pry the lips apart until they match. carefully and slowly.

Stretching your magazine springs will reduce their service life. They are going to take a set no matter what you do. Unless you plan on changing the springs every few months, don't plan on your slide locking back with magazine extensions.

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Agreed. Buy mag springs in large batches so you never have to hesitate junking one and moving on.

Do you have a preferred vendor for bulk springs at bulk pricing?  I'm not sure I want to pick up a whole set of Grams spring/follower kits at about $20 per kit.