Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 9mm bullets are you using for major?

Rjracing

Looking for an affordable and readily available 115gr 9mm projectile to use with a few major loads I'm making up for my CZechmate. Now I know most copper plated bullets shouldn't be used for a 9mm thats traveling 1400-1500fps, but not all copper plating processes are equal I'm told. Ive tried a couple small batches of 115gr round nose Frontier CMJ (complete metal jacket) for testing with 8.4-8.6gr of HS6 w/ 1.160 OAL and they don't seem to be leading the barrel too bad after 150 rounds. Is it okay to continue using these for larger batches? What are you guys using? New to 9mm major, so thanks in advance for your help.

Thickly plated bullets are fine.  Rainier, Berry's and X-Treme all sell them.  Make sure they are rated for 1500FPS before you order.  BTW, it isn't barrel leading that should be worrying you, it's comp leading.

You can buy Hornady 115gr HAP bullets (JHP) at Midsouth Shooters for $300 per 3000.  Excellent bullets.

Edited by zzt

Precision Delta JHP bullets are only 8.5 cents each if you buy 2,000.  

This [emoji1312].

I did the same song and dance a several years ago when I built my G19 open gun. I’ve loaded Berry’s, Xtreme, MG, and PD in both 115 and 124gr varietals.

I crunched the numbers six ways from Sunday, and at the end of the day for a couple cents more (if you buy in bulk, which you should) you can be shooting top of the line JHP instead of plated.

When I started reloading I used exclusively lead projectiles. I even tried the coated lead. But now I don’t even bother. The only thing I even still use plated for is 147gr 9MM subsonic. For some odd reason FMJ or JHP don’t have the same ratio value that other calibers and weights do. 147gr .355 in JHP or FMJ are exorbitantly more expensive. Everything else is either FMJ or JHP.

Well, that’s not entirely true. I shoot coated lead in my 300 Blackout Subsonic cause I’d go broke buying 220gr Jacketed Bullets to shoot in bulk.

Precision Delta or Montana Gold are tough to beat. I have a box of 4500 95gr MG because that was the best deal on that weight and caliber at the time, and thousands of Precision Delta FMJs and JHPs because Precision Delta was cheaper on those weights and calibers at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shooting 115 blue Bullets. Still on first case. Just switched from 125’s.

8.6 HS6 is 170 in my gun at 1.160

That’s in a Tanfo limited converted to open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two of my friends both use 115gr blue bullets with HS6 in their 9major open guns and have had no problems with lead in the comp. Between live fire practice, steel matches, and local USPSA matches they shoot 2k a month each. They would both reccomend them to you.

Thanks for all the input guys! I placed a large order with PD for some 115gr JHP based on your recommendations. I’ve tried Barry’s (which have garbage plating IMO), Extreme (cabelas always has these on sale for cheap and my go to for minor), Blue bullets (had some inconsistencies) and Frontier (LGS stocks them for an okay price), hopefully these PD work out well ??

I used the 121 IFP MG for a long time. Great compromise bullet splitting the difference between 115 & 124. Last several cases have been 124 CMJ MG. 100% reliable. Someone was selling a 124 JHP with a rounded nose for competition, name escapes me right now. Thinking of those when I needed to order bullets. Side note, I opened my first bottle of WAC, 7.0gr. at 1.17" under the 124 MG. I like it so far, seems to dot bounce less than the 8.2 HS6 load I've been using.

10 hours ago, OPENB said:

WAC, 7.0gr.  seems to dot bounce less than the 8.2 HS6 load I've been using.

My experience was the opposite - the HS6 "bounced" LESS than the WAC.

BUT, I'm using WAC because the HS6 is so dirty   :( 

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Doesn't cost any more to use their JHP's, and that will save you

a LOT of comp scrubbing down the road   :) 

I just listed my 124's locally and will pick up some JHP. As a matter of interest will an Ultra Sonic cleaner take the lead out of a comp?

18 hours ago, quiller said:

I just listed my 124's locally and will pick up some JHP. As a matter of interest will an Ultra Sonic cleaner take the lead out of a comp?

Not that I'm aware of . Most have to soak in some concoction and scrape with a brass scraper. I just use pds and autocomp. No leading yet with over 4k rounds. My comp is ion bonded though so that might help. 

15 hours ago, tcazes said:

Not that I'm aware of . Most have to soak in some concoction and scrape with a brass scraper. I just use pds and autocomp. No leading yet with over 4k rounds. My comp is ion bonded though so that might help. 

15 hours ago, tcazes said:

The FMJ’s sold last night and I ordered JHP’s this am. I have almost a pound of autocomp that I’m going to test with. Hopefully I’ll be testing by the end of next week.

9 hours ago, quiller said:

I ordered JHP’s . I have  a pound of WAC that I’m going to test with.  

When I started out, I began with a "light" load of WAC - c PF 150, and

worked with that for a while.

Made sure the crimp, OAL were correct.

Chrono'd the load MANY times.

Worked up, slowly, with the chrono, to PF 160 and stayed there a while.

Then I cautiously worked up to 167+.  Needed about 6.6 - 7.2 gr WAC.

Make sure you have a chrono, and use it frequently.

Actually, loading 9mm Major with WAC and 124 gr bullets is not that dangerous.

Scary to load up 2-300 fps faster than +P loads, but it's not bad at all, if you use

common sense and work up slowly with a chrono.

Worse thing you can do, actually, is not dump powder into your case before you

seat the bullet - get a light and look into each and every case before you seat   :)