Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee bulge Buster kit

fxdc

I recall reading somewhere on Lee's site that 9mm isn't recommeded for bulge busting because a 9mm case is tapered unless 45acp, 40sw, 10mm etc. Wonder if it was in the manual that came with mine? I'll have to go look.

Edited by Trinimon

35 minutes ago, OneEyedSam said:

I have the Lee 9mm MAKAROV FCD (SKU 90807) and I can not get it to work with my Bulge Buster. The cases get stuck and no matter how much effort I use the case will not go through the die. And yes the Crimp portion is removed.

Hmmm., I also have used one on way too many to count with great success.  Have yoh made sure it is actually brass your trying to push through? There are companies putting out steel cases that are painted brass color out there, like freedom munitions and a couple others.   Make sure you toss out the stepped 9mm cases also.  I have seen more than a few separate and leave the ring in the barrel.   

20 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

This is the SKU of the Makarov full length sizing die you want to use - 70007-SD1460.

I was wrong about the SKU, you need the  Crimp Die and the SKU for that is SKU: 90807.  So it looks like you have the correct die, if you have more trouble with it I'd suggest calling Lee.  

The problem with using the 9x18 makorov fcd die for a bulge buster is the 9mm "may" have a rim .002 larger diameter than the makorov FCD carbide ring.

I have and use the lee  makorov FCD die as a bulge buster and on "some" make cases it will size the rim .001 to .002 smaller in diameter.

Bottom line, any die has plus and minus manufacturing tolerance along with case manufacturing tolerances. And even with using the makorov bulge buster the 9mm case will still fall into the plus and minus manufacturing tolerances.

The following is from the SAAMI case and chamber drawings.

Makorov base diameter .3915 - .005 or .3915 to .3865

Makorov rim diameter .392 - .010 or .392 to .382

9mm base diameter .3910 - .007 or .3910 to .384

9mm rim diameter .394 - .010 or 394 to .384

So you can see the 9mm rim can be .002 larger the the makorov and you "might" size the rim using the makorov FCD

Edited by bigedp51

For a shell expander I use an M die.  For a .356 bullet, the die opens the shell to .354 down to .300 from the lip..  That's as deep as you should load a bullet.  At the mouth, the M die opens the shell mouth to .358.  This is to ease inserting the bullet.   My next step is to seat the bullet to the COL I want.  It should never be inserted further than .300.   For seating, I use a Lee crimp die with the crimp piece removed and a seating plug installed.  Since I'm using the Factory Crimp Die, It will also remove any bulge, if there is one.  Finally I crimp the shell.  Again I am using a Factory Crimp Die set to just remove the bell in the mouth of the shell with just a little crimping.

Since the M die only opened the shell to .002 under the bullet diameter, there is tension.  Only at the mouth is there any crimping.  As long as I don't seat the bullet deeper than it should go, there will be little or no bulging.   The carbide ring in the crimp die will only reduce any shell bulging to .382 and no more and this is in a area below where the bullet seats.

The Makarov sizing die is probably .390.   It will therefore size the 9mm Luger shell to this, or not.   It looks like it will only touch the 9mm Luger at its base.  I don't see it reducing a bulge unless it is quite large and then only to about .390..

OK, tell me where I'm wrong.        

Edited by Wheeljack

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loading mixed bass and I don't get a lot of completed rounds that are bulged but when it happens its frustrating to get my bullet hammer and disassemble them.

This set up works GREAT. I just set aside the ones that won't gauge until I have a batch and QD change to my single stage press.

I have a torn rotator cuff and it kills me to use a hammer.

Guess shooting steel matches makes it hurt more than USPSA.... more draws during the day.

Ops!   Until I researched this Bulge Buster thing, the only bulge I knew of was the one in about the center of the shell, due to seating a bullet too deep.   The Bulge Buster you are talking about is for bulges near the rim of the case, usually caused by an unsupported chamber, like in some Glocks.  We talk about thousandths of an inch when loading and then we measure a shell and find it can be hundredths of an inch in variations.  I shoot a Glock 26 and luckily have had no bulges.    But, I just ordered a case gauge to be sure.

Thanks

Lee no longer recommends the Makarov die for 9mm Buldge Busting! Why you may ask? Because the internal carbide ring WILL crack. Mine did and I returned it to Lee for warranty replacement. They did replace it but said they would only do it once and no more. So for those of you currently using it, look at the internal carbide ring, with a light under strong magnification and you will likely see a hair line crack. You may think you are Buldge Busting but in reality the cracked carbide ring is actually flexing open and you are really not accomplishing much.

• 1 year later...