Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally scored Fed SPP after a year + backlog order

igolfat8

I have patiently waited for well over a year on an order for the unobtainable Federal small pistol primers. I confronted a Federal rep at a recent ammo sale at a not so local gun store and I asked him when their SPP would ever become available again. He responded by saying that “Federal is first and foremost an ammo manufacturer and secondly a component supplier. He said most of their primers are going to support ammo production and if they ever get caught up then components (may) become available for sale to the general public”. 

My local reloading store gets shipments of Federal small pistol primers frequently. They don't last long once they get put on the shelf or his website. All the local competition shooters buy them up quickly for all the gamer guns running reduced hammer springs. Injust checked his website and it says out of stock but you might contact him and see if he has a ETA of when more will be in stock.

http://www.bobcatarmament.com

About 2-3 years ago a major distributor told me that the president or person-in-charge said basically what igolfat8 reported.  They didn’t care if there were any primers for reloaders or not.   Their business, run it like you want.  I now have enough WW primers to run me for quite awhile.  I prefer Federal for my wheelguns but it only takes a minor change for WW.  

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was in good shape Federal SPP wise, in January 2017 I had 21,000 on hand. Then nothing.

I finally picked up 5000 of them last week. Getting another 2000 tomorrow at an LGS. I was in  the beginning of panic because I hadn't seen any for sale at the same time I had the money to spend. Finally last week both conditions collided. I want to get the 2000 tomorrow (6/1/18) then 2000 the following week and then 2000 once a month hopefully going forward. I thought having 20k on the shelf was a good hedge against shortages but I was down to 6000 and starting to worry.

Are you guys shooting wheelguns?

I’m having a hard time figuring out how so many USPSA types are obsessed with Federals; add a single pount of weight to your trigger pull in DA/SA guns and they’ll run Winchesters all day long.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I do just that.

I run Winchester year round except a couple big matches. Switch to Federal for them and switch back afterward.

But, we can still get Federal around here from time to time.

I don’t shoot wheel guns, just mainly striker fired Glocks. When I drop down to a 4lb striker spring, it’s just iffy using any,thing but Federal Primers for reliable ignition. Therefore, I have to run a 4.5lb spring for CCI and Winchester primers.

No problems with Federal SPP supply in Australia. I have bought 5000 three times this year.

The price is also reasonable for Australia too; $59/1000. Last year they went up to $70/1000.

AU$59 = US$45.

All things are relative tho.

I suppose you don't think your pricing is so bad now right ?

• 1 month later...

These things are near impossible to find.... I have 4 boxes now but dont even want to load them if im just going to have to switch to something else when I run out. I've checked 6-8 local shops in about a 70 mile length and cant find crap. Occasionally the gun show that comes around bout every 3 months will have them but I dont even want to work up an ammo load if I cant get enough to stay up and running w them. I resorted to posting on a state gun group on FB. Supposedly i can get them from him next week. Not holding my breath though... 

This has been at least a decade now that I know of with Federal always running short. Dont know why they wouldnt have fixed this by now and increase production to meet demand. Seems like a lot of lost money for the them not too

Lots up here.

just scored 10k GM200.  All I could get were the Mag primers a while ago and they are fine.  Last week our favorite local store (awesome prices) got all the fed primers, sm & lrg pistol, rifle, gold & regular.  The mag gold ones were $2.50 less than reg gold  per 1k and they give 5% off for club members so I took 10k.