Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In Ear Electronic Hearing Protection

cbrussell

I am looking into electronic in ear hearing protection in place of my ProEar Gold muffs. There are so many options and costs I don’t know where to begin. My normal hearing is fine, so I am just talking about noise reduction but I want to be able to hear range instructions. Spending $3,000.00 plus

seems a bit high but maybe the differences are worth it.

Thanks for the help.

on advice of a few fellow shooters, i recent got the peltor tep-100's.  few matches with them including 2 gun, so far so good.  not uncomfortable, decent noise reduction, decent ability to hear talk and conversations.  glad i got them.  also have been using the pro-ears which i really like but just didn't want all that on my head especially in summer heat.

I'd love to be able to buy a set of the ESP electronic ear plugs but just can't justify the price. After seeing the Peltor tep-100s I wouldn't mind trying a set out. Would like to see a set in lerson before spending the money though.

1 hour ago, Scott Steele said:

Sound gear silver $700
IMG_7422.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look really nice. Do they have a way of attaching them to like some sort of lanyard or cord so you don't lose them? Pretty easy to change the batteries?

Those look really nice. Do they have a way of attaching them to like some sort of lanyard or cord so you don't lose them? Pretty easy to change the batteries?

Yes, they come with lanyard. Batteries are easy to change.
The website shows msrp. I was able to get the for less than msrp.

I got quoted $799.  Good enough for me as it’s the closest dealer to the Canadian border.  Pro ears rock but I can see them getting hot, we only took up action shooting late last September.

That's great.

I've also been using the peltor tep-100/200s with great results. They aren't as high quality as the custom stuff, but Peltor knows a thing or two about ear pro. Plenty comfortable and I like the charging case.

I picked up a pair of GSP Pro 15 a couple of Black Fridays ago for just over $200.  They are 299 today.  Honestly they were not "long term" comfortable, until I had some custom ear molds made for them.  Since then they have worked as advertised.  I still put on a pair of ear muffs if I am ro'ing someone with a load open gun. 

GSPâ¢15 GunSportâ¢PRO® Electronic Earplugs

I was looking at custom moulded electronic ear plugs. The problem is which ones; ESP, Nitro Ear, Sound Gear, ProEar, Earinc and a bunch of others. How to decide? I would love,to hear from owner/users, pros/cons. How did they get the right fit etc.

Sound gear are great.  If you have any hearing loss you can get them covered under insurance since they are considered hearing aid quality.  Other brands may work the same.  You just need to find an audiologist that will work with you and know how to code it for insurance.  

3 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Sound gear are great.  If you have any hearing loss you can get them covered under insurance since they are considered hearing aid quality.  Other brands may work the same.  You just need to find an audiologist that will work with you and know how to code it for insurance.  

I do have some hearing loss, but the audiologist I saw didn't think insurance would cover these.  Any tips on what to ask an audiologist to try and get it covered?

Edited by vnboileau

1 hour ago, vnboileau said:

I do have some hearing loss, but the audiologist I saw didn't think insurance would cover these.  Any tips on what to ask an audiologist to try and get it covered?

I got my Sound Gear through House of Hearing [houseofhearing@mac.com], they took the molding and my insurance info at Area 1 in 2016, they did all the paperwork. The idea was, lets put a claim in and see if they cover it. They covered 100 percent for both me and my wife, no audiologist involved. They must know which buttons to push. Shoot them an email and see what they say, you could have ear molds made at any hearing aid place and send them the molds to make the gear. I'm sure if they do the insurance leg work, they will want to be the ones to sell you (your insurance) the stuff.

Edited by Bkreutz

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Pcew73 said:

Has anyone used the walkers game ear silencers?  

They aren't bad; I can wear them for an entire match.  Sound is average, much like their over the ear muffs. Battery life is about 3 weeks.   I wear them when shooting my 9major open gun and they're plenty quiet.  

I may go with their new Bluetooth rechargeable ones soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

Was at a major and we had Manny Bragg there making custom molded in ear protection with your own choice of colors. This was two years ago andghey still fit perfectly and once they’re in everything else is silent. Check your local majors for someone molding, for $60 you’ll be a happy dude 

A word of warning-- Make sure you keep any "in the ear" protection CLEAN.  Put it on a checklist before you leave for a match or practice.  Wash with soap and water or some cleansing wipe. Bad ear infections can be a issue if you don't keep them clean.  Protect those ears.  Have seen people put them in their mouth to moisten them == probably not a good idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had House of Hearing do molds for me while at Nationals last year in St. George. First I had a set of the solid plugs (passive) made and they worked great. 

Then I started to research how/if I could use insurance for an electronic version. The team at House of Hearing helped and before long I had a set of the platinum in-ears. I’ve been loving them so far this year!

Edited by pbRex