Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Connector Trigger Pull Comparison

rootacres

Hello all, I have been wondering this for a while and decided to test some things out. I have accumulated a few of the popular connectors and thought Id share my results. This entire test was done with the exact same Glock 34 and all the parts listed below. The only part that was changed on all these test was the connector (captain obvious). This was interesting to me, thought it may be interesting to you too. 

Gun:

Glock 34 Gen 4 w/ ~6k rounds

Parts:

Zev 2lb striker spring

Zev reduced power FPB spring

TiN skeletolized striker 

Factory Trigger Return Spring

Polished FPB

OCC Trigger 

Note:

The OCC trigger I use is a polished factory trigger bar with the "enhanced" shoe (same as a OEM shoe with a more comfortable safety tab). This trigger has the pre travel eliminator which I believe aids in getting more consistent trigger pulls on the gauge. I also have to overtravel ejector housing installed. 

Trigger Results (5 pulls w/ Lyman digital gauge)

1) TTI Minus connector (5k rounds) - 2lb 10oz avg.

2) Glock Minus Connector (new) -  2lb 13oz avg. 

3) Zev V4 Race (1k rounds) - 3lb avg.

4) Glock Factory (off a sub 1k round G17) - 3lb 8oz avg.

Summary - Surprise

I have been a big fan of the TTI since I bought it and knew that it would be close in pull weight to my Zev V4. Something to consider in addition to pull weights is how crisp/spongy the break is. The nature of the Glock design does not lend itself well to having a clean sharp break. That being said, the TTI and minus connector had the least spongy break of the group, with the glock factory connector coming in 2nd and the Zev coming in 4th. The Zev is easily has the spongiest break of the lot. The surprise of the group was how well the factory minus connector did. Truth be told, if you want a good trigger without spending much cash, buy a Zev completion spring kit and a skeletolized striker. Call it a day. 

Any questions on how I did the test please let me know. 

which ever  connector  i  may  pitch  in my  glocks,i  always  work them  some  more    to  extract  the best  trigger  feel  and  break weight......i  tried'em all,and  i  settled  on the  V4  unit  because  in combo  with the comp  spring kit  and  skelton striker with a  2lbs  spring,it's  the one  who  provides  the  best  ''break like  glass'''  trigger and  the lowest  weight pull.

my G17  is  at a  clean 2.1 lbs

G35  at  a  crisp  2.3lbs

G34  at  2.8lbs  

G22  at  2.5  rolling break

i'm using  a  lyman trigger  scale.

Edited by sigsauerfan

11 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

which ever  connector  i  may  pitch  in my  glocks,i  always  work them  some  more    to  extract  the best  trigger  feel  and  break weight......i  tried'em all,and  i  settled  on the  V4  unit  because  in combo  with the comp  spring kit  and  skelton striker with a  2lbs  spring,it's  the one  who  provides  the  best  ''break like  glass'''  trigger and  the lowest  weight pull.

G34  at  2.8lbs  

Intersting, I know a had another glock 34 in past and had similar results to yours. I too landed on the V4 connector for that gun, with this G34 its the complete opposite. I wonder if the hook on the strikers are slightly different from brand to brand. That would probably contribute to different trigger feel. 

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, sigsauerfan said:

G34  at  2.8lbs  

That is actually a 4# striker spring. There are no 2# striker springs for Glocks and they would not function properly with one if it was available.

Last Glock I had got the Taran minus connector. Local shooter had a Glock 35 ready to shred limited gun package he bought from Taran Tactical. After feeling his trigger it made the decision for me to buy the Taran minus connector. I was very happy with the outcome of the trigger compared to a stock gen4 trigger.

Edited by bjones6686

7 hours ago, JBP55 said:

That is actually a 4# striker spring. There are no 2# striker springs for Glocks and they would not function properly with one if it was available.

what are you talking about?

the  zev comp spring kit  has  the  2    lbs  striker  spring  or  the  standard  one(3lbs).........and  it  work perfectly.

you should  check  your  facts before  leaving random blurps  and  false  affirmations   running around

this  forum has  been known as  a  site  where the infos  provided  by  their  members   are  nearly 100%   valid. don't  change  that  with  ''anything goes''''  posts please

DSC04435.thumb.JPG.2d4ddc018690f0c3aca2439ff5190d38.JPGDSC04435.thumb.JPG.2d4ddc018690f0c3aca2439ff5190d38.JPG....

DSC04434.JPG

Edited by sigsauerfan

Yeah... He's right though.

Zev calls their springs 2# but they are the equivalent of other brands' 4# spring.

If it were literally a 2# spring rate, it would fail to work.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

2 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

Try running a Glock with a FPS that is only 36%no.

when talking with GERRY  at  zev,it's  clear  he  label   them 2lbs  striker  springs....3lbs  striker  spring....

or  perhaps  the  product manager  at  zev  is wrong?.....meh!

I have used many springs including possibly 100  made by  Zev. I had this conversation with Zev and voiced my concern for the misleading advertising. I have compared the so called 2 pound spring to other 4 pound springs and they are basically the same. Zev stated that their best complete trigger kit including the so called 2 pound  spring resulted in a 2 pound trigger pull weight. I have worked on more than 100 Glocks and tested the trigger pull weight on each one a minimum of 10 times.

I am willing to bet $100 No Zev FPS  is actually at 2 pounds which would give a trigger pull weight approximately 20 oz. lighter than a 4 pound Wolff spring.

Try running a Glock with a FPS that is only 36% as strong as the OEM spring and let us know how it works. Put your money where your mouth is!

Edited by JBP55
typo

41 minutes ago, JBP55 said:

I have used many springs including possibly 100  made by  Zev. I had this conversation with Zev and voiced my concern for the misleading advertising. I have compared the so called 2 pound spring to other 4 pound springs and they are basically the same. Zev stated that their best complete trigger kit including the so called 2 pound  spring resulted in a 2 pound trigger pull weight. I have worked on more than 100 Glocks and tested the trigger pull weight on each one a minimum of 10 times.

I am willing to bet $100 No Zev FPS  is actually at 2 pounds which would give a trigger pull weight approximately 20 oz. lighter than a 4 pound Wolff spring.

Try running a Glock with a FPS that is only 36% as strong as the OEM spring and let us know how it works. Put your money where your mouth is!

Would a 4lb Wolff spring yield similar pull weights to a ZEV 2lb? Just curious, I didn't know they all differed from one another so much (advertised weight vs actual). Or would a Wolff 3lb be better?

2 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

no.

when talking with GERRY  at  zev,it's  clear  he  label   them 2lbs  striker  springs....3lbs  striker  spring....

or  perhaps  the  product manager  at  zev  is wrong?.....meh!

I doubt hes wrong, you probably just didn't ask the right question, or understand his answer.  

This a not a 2# striker spring.  It would not set off primers, and the trigger most likely wouldn't reset.  It is the spring rate ZEV thinks is necessary for a 2# trigger break, so they label it "2# PULL". 

Most manufacturers label their springs with the weight of the actual spring, e.g., 4lbs. Zev labels their striker springs by the weight of the resultant trigger pull if you use that spring, 2 or 3 lbs. So the Zev 2lb spring is the same as a Wolff 4lb spring, they're just labeled differently (and Zev's method of labeling their striker springs is dumb).

18 hours ago, emjbe said:

Thanks for this - been thinking about trading my zev for a TTI

I have both connectors and they feel pretty much the same to me. I was just swapping between them yesterday and barely felt any difference.

52 minutes ago, rootacres said:

Would a 4lb Wolff spring yield similar pull weights to a ZEV 2lb? Just curious, I didn't know they all differed from one another so much (advertised weight vs actual). Or would a Wolff 3lb be better?

Yes, the 4# Wolff is basically the same as a  Zev that is "labeled as 2#". Wolff makes 4#, 4.5#, 5#, 5.5#, and 6# FPS.

The 2 most commonly used are 4# with a lightweight striker and a 4.5# with the OEM striker.

The 4# spring "may" cause light strikes as well as weak reset or failure to reset with the OEM striker. 

Anything less than the 4# FPS should be avoided.

16 minutes ago, JBP55 said:

Yes, the 4# Wolff is basically the same as a  Zev that is "labeled as 2#". Wolff makes 4#, 4.5#, 5#, 5.5#, and 6# FPS.

The 2 most commonly used are 4# with a lightweight striker and a 4.5# with the OEM striker.

The 4# spring "may" cause light strikes as well as weak reset or failure to reset with the OEM striker. 

Anything less than the 4# FPS should be avoided.

Yeah, every time I start trying to drop the pull weight on Glocks I use a skeletolized striker. I just ordered a lightweight titanium striker for one of my 34s. Thanks for the info. 

• 11 months later...