Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal .300 Blackout Barrel Length

jkrispies

Apologies if this topic is beat to death but my search function doesn’t seem to work as well as usual lately.  

Just kicking around the idea of basically building a 300blk SBR but pinning a linear comp on it to keep it legal at 16” overall and to build it with a 12” handguard.  I’m thinking linear comp also to keep the weight down.  

Let’s say that maximum range will be 300ish yards if shooting for distance and with the appropriate ammo, but with most shots being in the or 0-150 yard range with subsonic ammo and a red dot. 

Given those ranges, what would the ideal barrel length be?  

I’m going from member but I had a batch of subs that were loaded to right around 1050 FPS our od my 8.5 inch gun. My thinking was that there was no reason to have a 16 inch barrel for it. Well I bought one. Most of that ammo still stays subsonic In that gun too

1 hour ago, perttime said:

Slightly Off Topic

There's been people loading a .300BLK variant to IPSC Major. There best results have been reached using longer barrels with slower twist: too slow for subsonic, I think.

That makes really good sense if IPSC major is the goal:  more weight on the front for stable double taps, a lighter bullet would keep the recoil down, and the long barrel gives it more time to gain speed, plus a comp.  I bet they are soft as butter to shoot!

For me, though, not my goal.  I'm basically just thinking of a fun gun that I could start building now with my collection of spare parts and then keep an eye out in the classifieds and sales for awhile, maybe trade some of my spare parts for other guys' spare parts over time, etc.  One of the main reasons I'm thinking of short barrel and long linear comp is that I can more or less duplicate my Steel Challenge PCCO gun in terms of balance and ergonomics, which I built using a TACCOM ULW barrel.  This would be awesome because I really like the feel and swing of my ULW, and I'm getting pretty damn good with it.  I love my PCCO but it bums me out that I can't shoot it much farther than 75-100 yards.  

Lastly (and this wouldn't matter to those who live in the free states) I live in Kalifornia and my PCCO is one of those rare guns where I was able to build it Kali legal by coincidence rather than necessity, and I could do the same thing with this gun.  In a lot of ways, this would be kind of a win-win-win-win for me in that it would be a great gun, be standardized to another gun that I'm already rocking, I could build at least half of it now with spare parts I already own, and it would be Kali legal.  Damn, I think I just convinced myself to do it, LOL!!!!

Haha, so yeah, the OP just went off topic as well.  Back to the subsonic loads-- what kind of range are you guys getting?  Part of my mind says that it's basically a glorified PCC when you go subsonic, but with the heavier bullet and vastly improved ballistic coefficient, maybe I'm way off base?

Ive shot subsonic out to 200 yards with hits on man sized targets. But it isn’t something i do often. Typically I stay within the 50 yards and in category with it as its more of a suppressed blaster

• 5 weeks later...

Reviving an old thread with a related question.  Let’s say I went with a full 16” barrel, do you think a comp would work at the end of that barrel, or would the pressure be too low to work anything at that point?  Another way to look at it, and this is my real question:  if I built a 16” barrel with no threading or comp at all, would I be losing anything in terms of barrel flip, dot bounce, etc., vs a braked barrel of the same lengt?  Thanks, John