Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold Hands

We bought these

https://www.doubletapsports.com/heat-factory-electronic-hand-warmers

After the Canadian ICORE regionals got really chilly, especially so for early September, I had enough.  It didn't help I checked the weather forecast the day before and ignored the cold forecast. It was 95f only 3 days before!  So I got stubborn and didn't even take a sweater.  brrrrr Trying to reload a revolver with cold hands isn't easy.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I become popular at cold weather matches.  I carry a large propane bottle with a monster heater head around in my shooting cart.  Shooter, and on deck shooters get priority.  I also carry a hand warming muff like duck hunters use and I put an old school lighter fluid hand warmer inside.  Once lit, these baby's stay very warm for about 10 hours. Cold hands suck.  It is hard to have good dexterity and fine motor skill manipulation with cold hands.  

Keith Tyler

Little trick I do is put latex type gloves underneath my regular gloves then have the qb type football handwarmer pouch with hand warmers cooking in there. I can shoot with just the latex gloves on and it doesn't affect any of my small motor functions.

Edited by MrPan

Keep the core warm and the blood keeps flowing to the extremities.

I wear a down vest over my jacket when I'm taping. I add fingerless gloves and hand warmers in the vest pickets as necessary. When it gets into the 20s for setup, long underwear helps too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like everyone else has said, dress in layers, use handwarmers, eat enough calories, etc.

Hikers often say "Be bold, start cold" - You'll warm up as you go. Shooting is quite the opposite. Dress WAY warmer than you'd think you should. If you somehow manage to get too warm, you can always strip a layer off. Shooting is 99% standing around doing nothing to prepare for 30 seconds of performance. You won't be performing too well if you're frozen to the core.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, Sarge said:

Hand warmer in the Magwell cures that. 

Excuse my ignorance, but how does that go together with rule 5.2.2: "Competitors  carrying  their  handgun  in  a  holster  must  have  an  empty 
magazine  well, " (From USPSA book, IPSC has the same rule)

Shooting a steel grip 2011 I would love to stuff a warmer down there in wintertime :)

36 minutes ago, xrayfk05 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how does that go together with rule 5.2.2: "Competitors  carrying  their  handgun  in  a  holster  must  have  an  empty 
magazine  well, " (From USPSA book, IPSC has the same rule)

Shooting a steel grip 2011 I would love to stuff a warmer down there in wintertime :)

Well, I know there is no such thing as intent in the rule book, but, what the hell, I think the intent of that rule is no magazine in the gun. I see hand warmers in grips regularly in cold weather.

Cheers, I'll order a few and see what happens. Will  mostly be using it when training at the club anyway.

I was thinking more in the line off if you stuff  them down far enough, the magazine well will be empty.

I really love the steel grip but when the weather gets frosty it's a pain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 4:34 PM, war_material said:

Hello gents and ladies,

Just wanted to share an experience. First off, once my hands get cold I am pretty much going to have a crap match. Even if I bring hand warmers. I have tried to overcome this barrier but I just can’t shoot at speed with acceptable accuracy and to top it off, I end up making ooor decisions because it messes with my mental game. I am a b class shooter in production looking to make it up to A. Anybody else find cold hands to be a problem?

Yep.  Iowa sectional was chilly in the morning this year. First two stages I felt sluggish (partially to cold hands and partially to just getting warmed up in general). But In general, i shoot a lot better when it’s warmer. Cold hands usually = trigger freeze for me

Hand warmers, feet warmers, and proper layering.  I wear mechanix brand gloves because they offer a thin layer and allow me to paste targets and not have to take them off.  I only pull layers off to shoot each stage.

• 2 years later...

I'll add one thing to this 2 year old thread with your forbearance.  I wear a heated vest over two thermal layers.  The vest keeps things toasty and is thin enough and short enough to wear while shooting; I can tuck it in between my mag pouches/holster and shirt.  The particular one I use has a 2+ hour battery on high, but I carry a spare battery.  Best money I ever spent; still need a jacket when not shooting.  I found DuluthFlex Fire Hose Relaxed Fit Cargo Work Pants work great.  The fabric blocks wind with plenty of room for thermal tights if needed; these have become my go-to for just about every activity in the winter.  The Mechanix Specialty 0.5mm gloves are excellent for actually shooting, but I'd like to find large mittens for between runs; mittens have gone the way of the Dodo.

I have a twist on this one. In any type weather my feet are either freezing or sweating. Sweating in the summer is not as bad as in the winter as light shoes wick better. However, in the winter if my feet start sweating my hands get cold...which cause my feet (or at least it seems to cause) to get colder as they sweat more, which makes my hands sweat more and get colder...it's a catch 22. The quick fix at least while sitting at my desk is to flip off my shoes or swap out my socks and hopefully stop the cycle. Weird huh!

Funny story,

My first matches were in the winter,

John Amidon was a local shooter in our club. I knew who he was but being new I was new to him.

One match I brought tomato soup in a thermos. We got to the next stage and at our loading table I poured some soup

into my cup. John was a few feet away and I said to him, John, are you into Bloody Mary's? I can still remember the look

on his face!!!!!!!!!! He went over to the President of our club who was in our squad and pointed to me. Rich the Pres. laughed

out loud and explained what the deal was. I still shoot with him and we both still get a laugh about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a Milwaukee heated jacket for those cold windy days here in WTX. I remember DQ'ing in Lubbock on one of those cold windy days. The shame still lives with me to this day 🤣. It was the only stage my wife decided she would record me...GO FIGURE. Went to strip the gun from the holster and caught my jersey between my thumb and the grip, ended up dropping the gun to the ground. 

On 12/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, Farmer said:

I really like my short heated vest since I can tuck it in behind the holster.  That men's vest on the site, above,  that has a heated neck is something I need to look into for next winter.  I've learned since last winter to keep something around my neck; makes a big difference.