Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Closing the gap on A class

On 5/23/2018 at 5:30 PM, Supermoto said:

I did this video for a friend to show him where he was losing time on a quick stage. He is a faster shooter, but hard stops on easy targets are huge time killers.  You don't need to push harder on movement into positions, just shoot sooner, leave sooner

How did you do that with this video? I've been wanting to put something similar together for friends but don't know how.

9 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Not trying to be critical here, just wanting to help a brother out.  My impression from your post is you really should take some time and focus on your shot calling.  I've been in your shoes with the unexplained mikes, and its just shot calling.  The increase in mikes over your 9 minor gun says that you are likely pointing at the target and pulling the trigger twice.  aka double tapping.  You need to see both shots.  Now your mikes are reducing because of your improved grip shooting major, your improved grip is making up for the lack of shot calling.   You will quickly reach another plateau if you dont focus your efforts on learning to call your shots now.  It should be your sole purpose in your shooting life until you get it figured out.  Its boring, it doesn't make sense at first, its frustrating as hell...it seems impossible.  But it is the most important thing.  I promise.  

Thanks, and yes, that is exactly what I have been working on these last couple of months. I am thinking that the 9 was so soft shooting, and I had it under complete control, so double-taps worked for me at the time. I had been shooting .20 to .25 splits without even thinking about it with the 9mm. Got the .40, and my body wanted to do the same thing as it was pretty natural.

Now that I have a "big boy gun", double-taps no longer produce results and each shot needs to become an individual event. Watching the sights lift and calling each shot.

Been doing LOTS of Bill Drills and Near-to-Far Drills and really focusing on calling each shot, and making sure that EACH shot is an individual event rather than a double tap being the individual event. Also working on El Prez and getting each shot as an A.

Making lots of progress. Spent a couple of hours today at the range with only one Mike, and that was when I was really pushing it on a Bill Drill.

Really appreciate the comments, and don't worry about being critical. I have very thick skin, and would rather improve than defend a poor technique.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Your shot-calling should already have been good enough to let you shoot .15-.25 splits in 9mm minor with enough visual data to tell you where the second round was sent. Myself and my other A-through-GM production friends all do it consistently.

It sounds like you never developed that skill and simply relied on grip and timing to get your second round near the Azone through trial and error.

The good news is that now you have motivation to develop that skill, and excellent shotcalling skills will make competing at A class level much easier.

Good discussion.

This year I'm trying my hardest to move up to A in OSR steel challenge. I know some might say A no big deal but for me shooting a revolver isn't/hasn't been easy. OK, I'm also dabbling in ISR as I want to shoot USPSA revo on a regular basis next year and need to get better using iron sights. 

I'm trying to convince myself that expanding my horizons will also help at least in the enjoyment aspect of things. So, I have a decent stable, a match grade revolver and belt assembly. I also have a G17 and a fairly good (DAA) production holster/belt assembly. And a good supply of brass/bullets/primers. If I decide to add an auto loader in my USPSA program it would make sense for me to shoot production as I have the gear. What may I ask is the pitfalls of shooting production where everyone is minor pf? In revo I will be shooting minor anyway.