Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon reloading room setup

Using a huskey toolbox currently for my workbench but getting ready to start a new bench build now. Spent 2 hours in lowes over the weekend picking out most of what I want. I have a 10' 6" x 40" cubby in the garage which will be my reloading area. Gotta start by ripping some sheet rock down to running some more electrical sockets and run the hose line up higher on the wall as well as painting the garage. 

For the reloading bench Ive picked what would be 5 cabinet bases that will run the length of that area. I want to do a 30" counter top of two layers of oak plywood as well as run two rows of shelves of the same wood. Gonna run 2x4 backing boards behind the cabinets to offset the larger counter tops a little. Im gonna have about 4" of top over hanging the cabinets which will make for sitting at the bench easy but also might make getting to the drawers a little difficult. That casefeeder takes up a lot of room though and I definitely want to be able to put shelves behind it for storage. The side 40" walls I'll do pegboard or some such afterwards for additional storage.

Hoping to comfortably have 3 presses and work room when done. I keep going back and forth about whether or not to try the t-track system

Tom.jpg.5daabd202c51a90bd2c48ea754b73353.jpg

@PhillySoldier my suggestion from previous experience would be to avoid putting the overhead shelving up right away.

Mount your presses and use them until you’re positive you like the way they’re spaced apart and positioned - expect to move at least one press a little bit.

Once you’re sure you like them where they’re at, build a set of shelving that is notched around your casefeeder. I did that once. I actually wound up being VERY happy with that decision.

Yeah shelves and the case feeder are definitely the problem. Thats why im trying to force the 30" counter tops. And yeah planning on getting everything in place before deciding where exactly the shelves w be mounted but everything "should" have enough room (barely) even at the worst points of it

Edited by PhillySoldier

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Holys$@t finally got a pic to upload on forum after years of frustration ? 

Good Job! 

Is the room, by any chance, 9x12 because that's about 1/4 of a two car garage?  I ask because I had a 9x13 reloading room that I built by walling in the back half of one side of a two car garage and I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, jhgtyre said:

Good Job! 

Is the room, by any chance, 9x12 because that's about 1/4 of a two car garage?  I ask because I had a 9x13 reloading room that I built by walling in the back half of one side of a two car garage and I'm just curious.

No just the way the plans were for the new house wanted it in back corner of house and just so happens the garage is right there for a door. Had a 3 car carport going behind right there but put it on other side off garage 

Does anybody have a air compressor hook up in there room if it’s in the house. Was thinking of running alive from garage to the room. Any ideas.  Or getting a mini tank from harbor freight and keep in a cabinet with a outlet in there for it. 

17 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Does anybody have a air compressor hook up in there room if it’s in the house. Was thinking of running alive from garage to the room. Any ideas.  Or getting a mini tank from harbor freight and keep in a cabinet with a outlet in there for it. 

I have one from HF and it gets the job done can be a little loud at first but what compressor isn't. If you want it cleaner looking you can do what this guy did, start at 4:45

4 hours ago, crispyrice said:

I have one from HF and it gets the job done can be a little loud at first but what compressor isn't. If you want it cleaner looking you can do what this guy did, start at 4:45

That’s what I was thinking running a connection out of the cabinet and have the tank in the cabinet. Thanks for the vid. 

On 8/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

I run the air line from the garage to my workshop in the basement, it is pretty long, but supplies enough air for medium-consumption tools.