Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mlo90

Hello!` I have stumbled onto the sport of shooting. I played a lot of sports growing and I have become a fan of competitive shooting. I don't own a gun and I'm looking to buy one with my tax check coming in.  I would like to start competing in some events. Therefore, being a new shooter my question is would it be smart for me to buy a gun for competition ones like the glock 34 or 17 (for example) or should I learn on sometching like the glock 19 (for example) and start taking classes? Before diving in too the competition world. 

It doesn't have to be a glock necessarily.  You can buy a used 1911 or 2011 and when or if you decide to sell you will not lose as much money as with the plastic toys.  You may even find a used cz.  Go to a match learn the rules, help tape, set up steel, and people will let you shoot their guns to see what fits or peaks your interest.  You also need to know if the local clubs that you plan on attending are shooting USPSA or IDPA as that has a ton of input on what gun is "legal" for that discipline.   Good luck and enjoy.  Never forget to have fun and be safe.

If you don't already own a gun and want to purchase one, a Glock 34 or 17 is a good choice.  If you already own a 19, you can certainly start with that.  DONT SPEND A TON OF MONEY until you have shot 1-2 matches to make sure you still want to compete.  If you decide to stay in the sport, you will find plenty of ways to spend money, don't worry about that.

The important thing is to find a range close to you and see if they have a New Shooter Class, or any sort of classes or requirements at the range prior to shooting the match.  Contact the Match Director for more information.

Practice and dryfire are WAY more important than buying a new gun or gear.  

Here is a link to dryfire from Max MIchel.  Any YouTube videos from Max Michel are a great place to get started on the gun-handling skills you need to have.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=uspsa+youtube+dryfire&&view=detail&mid=90BA232326E344C20FA890BA232326E344C20FA8&&FORM=VRDGAR

Good luck!

The great thing about the Glock 17 is that you could use just this one gun across different disciplines to shoot a multitude of divisions. In USPSA it would let you compete in Production class while in IDPA it would be legal for Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol. Let's not forget about the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) matches where you could use it in several classes depending upon your shooter classification (civilian or law enforcement). Check out the websites uspsa.org , idpa.com and gssfonline.com to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. A basic Blade-Tech OWB holster would serve you well for all these disciplines/divisions mentioned. Oh, should you decide to move on to something else later the 17 is a pretty awesome house gun as well. 

Where are you at? Could be a forum member nearby willing to introduce you to the game they shoot and other shooters.

Glocks are fine, Sig 320s are getting more popular, M&Ps are ok, all fairly affordable, the first two seem to hold value pretty well.

4" guns are good all around compromises if you're thinking HD/SD too and don't want to rush into a "collection", they're really not going to hold you back much in any sport especially starting out.

If you really want to go all in on the games you have to pick a division and you'll probably want something with a metal frame.

47 minutes ago, HickLife said:

I would go sig all the way, but i’m a borderline sig fanboy. To me the p320 is way more versatile than any glock just for the modularity.

Like I said, we will have no problem spending your money for you.

16 hours ago, Beef15 said:

Where are you at? Could be a forum member nearby willing to introduce you to the game they shoot and other shooters.

Glocks are fine, Sig 320s are getting more popular, M&Ps are ok, all fairly affordable, the first two seem to hold value pretty well.

4" guns are good all around compromises if you're thinking HD/SD too and don't want to rush into a "collection", they're really not going to hold you back much in any sport especially starting out.

If you really want to go all in on the games you have to pick a division and you'll probably want something with a metal frame.

I live in Virginia Beach and thanks for that advice on the guns! I appreciate everyone who has written to me on the form it has help me a lot with my decision. lm leaning towards the glock 17 or the m&p. I have a friend who has both so I will shoot both this weekend and make a decision. He is bringing some others as well.

17 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

The great thing about the Glock 17 is that you could use just this one gun across different disciplines to shoot a multitude of divisions. In USPSA it would let you compete in Production class while in IDPA it would be legal for Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol. Let's not forget about the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) matches where you could use it in several classes depending upon your shooter classification (civilian or law enforcement). Check out the websites uspsa.org , idpa.com and gssfonline.com to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. A basic Blade-Tech OWB holster would serve you well for all these disciplines/divisions mentioned. Oh, should you decide to move on to something else later the 17 is a pretty awesome house gun as well. 

Thanks for the links! I will check them out 

hit a range that rents guns and try a bunch.  and hit a few uspsa or 3 gun matches and see what everyone is shooting.  most will let you fondle their guns if not actually shoot them.  that said, glocks are a good choice, very reliable and a ton of aftermarket gear and accessories at decent prices.  and among glocks, 17 or 34 are great choices.

I'd start shooting with a gun you have already have and shoot a few matches making sure you like it before you go out and try and buy a new gun. I'd buy a bunch of ammo or a reloading press before buying another gun. You will soon learn most of the guys at the match are very friendly and will help you out. The match will have a new shooter's meeting to give you the basic do's and don'ts. Try to shoot safely before trying to be fast like all the seasoned shooter's. 

Edited by bjones6686

A glock 22/35, XDM .40, or M&P .40 are the most versatile pistols in our game. 

I would opt opt for a Production approved pistol chambered in .40 S&W. 

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't come to a match as a brand new shooter with no experience at all. I'm not trying to discourage you, but please get some training and do some practice beforehand. I'd recommend asking the MDs of the local clubs who the local GMs are, and seeking them out. 

Where are you located?

32 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Please don't come to a match as a brand new shooter with no experience at all. I'm not trying to discourage you, but please get some training and do some practice beforehand. I'd recommend asking the MDs of the local clubs who the local GMs are, and seeking them out. 

Where are you located?

Man I glazed right over that. @mlo90 Definitely get some instruction from someone. Send a few hundred rounds downrange with some guidance learning safety, your guns mechanics, fundamental accuracy, movement, and safely doing all those things. Muzzle awareness should be intuitive. To do otherwise will probably leave you disappointed. It's gonna be a challenge, no sense compounding it.

Yeah or course I planed on taking classes and training before competition! My original question was if it was smart to only buy a gun for competition and this form and me taking to other guys who shoot competition have help me answer that. I’m naturally a competitive person and uspsa looked fun to me, so I’m going to start training and competing soon.