Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody here shoot Run n Gun?

• 1 month later...

Signed up and am trying to get an idea of target sizes at distance. Wanting to see if my 1-4 will be enough for the long stuff. All they posted on practiscore is the pistol plate target size. Torso size targets I think I will be fine with my 4x

• 2 months later...

I’m interested in participating in a 10K run and gun. Having never done one of these, I’m curious to know what gear most folks use to carry the rifle, pistol, mags, water, around 200 or so rounds of ammo while running or jogging most of the distance and going through obstacles. Anything else that should be carried, like maybe a 3-piece cleaning rod to help un-jam a stuck casing or a small can of CLP?

My guess is that spare loaded mags, extra ammo and 2 liters of water in a pack weighs about 10-15 lbs. However, I discovered that jogging with 15 lbs of small dumb bells in two different backpacks just causes the shoulder harnesses to dig in uncomfortably into my shoulders and traps. It’s bearable for about 2 miles or so, but after 4 miles it becomes real uncomfortable, and that’s without carrying or slinging a rifle, much less a full 10K (6.5 miles) with obstacles thrown in. I’m wondering if my backpacks are just the wrong kind for that type of activity, or what tips and advice others may have about that.

I do the 5K Pawnee, Oklahoma event twice a year.  For me there's not much running.  It's more of a stroll and gun.  I prefer to keep the weight lower than a backpack or vest.  My back thanks me the next day.  I have 3 HSGI "taco" pouches on my belt.  Anything else goes in a cargo pant pocket.  The only thing higher than that is the rifle and hydration pack.

Go look through the pics at https://www.okrunngun.com/photos-summer-2018

It's all about what works for you.  I doubt any 2 people are set up the same way.

Thanks for the reply and info, Glock021. Not sure if I may be biting more than I can chew by wanting to at least jog through most of a10K course, but after a cancer scare last year I’m hoping to at least try. Your advice on keeping the weight low is an excellent one. I don’t have a “battle belt,” at least not yet, but I may try configuring what I have to distribute the weight more evenly so that less weight is in my backpack, and more is along a belt with mag holders and in my pockets.

And thanks for the link and suggestion to check out photos of others. I’ll do that as well as check out some videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is REALLY run and gun. At first I thought you were asking if any of the Steel Challenge folks shot USPSA or 3Gun in addition to Steel. That does look like a lot of fun though. Back in my younger days (when I could actually run) I use to shoot a local summer biathlon series during the summer with guys that were Biathlon shooters, training with no snow. It's amazing what being out of breath will do to your sight picture.

Edited by IHMSA15151

• 3 weeks later...

Finally did my first one this past weekend - the 10K WTF Biathlon! Much harder than I thought it would be, and definitely addicting! Learned a lot just from my first one. What an awesome sporting event.

2 hours ago, Equin said:

Finally did my first one this past weekend - the 10K WTF Biathlon! Much harder than I thought it would be, and definitely addicting! Learned a lot just from my first one. What an awesome sporting event.

Awesome. I saw photos online. Conditions looked heinous. The kind of match where the only realistic cleaning option afterwards is to literally hose your guns down with a pressure washer. I'm kind of jealous ;) 

Yes! I had done a 5K mud run before, the kind where you have to jump and roll in the mud and do all kinds of muddy obstacles. This was kind of like it, except it was a 10K and there was target shooting involved. Your guess about cleaning by hosing everything down is exactly right. I had brought a rag and stuffed it in my pocket thinking I’d use it later to wipe down my optics or gear if they got dirty, not realizing just how dirty they were all going to get. But when I pulled it out it, the rag itself was already a wet and muddy mess! It truly was an epic experience.

Edited by Equin
Typo

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:33 PM, Glock021 said:

I do the 5K Pawnee, Oklahoma event twice a year.  For me there's not much running.  It's more of a stroll and gun.  I prefer to keep the weight lower than a backpack or vest.  My back thanks me the next day.  I have 3 HSGI "taco" pouches on my belt.  Anything else goes in a cargo pant pocket.  The only thing higher than that is the rifle and hydration pack.

Go look through the pics at https://www.okrunngun.com/photos-summer-2018

It's all about what works for you.  I doubt any 2 people are set up the same way.

I do the Pawnee event twice a year too.  It's coming up in a few days.  You can stroll or run.  We run hard & it can be brutal between stages 3 and 4......especially for the July event.  Shooting is usually hard as well.  @Glock021 is correct as to the gear, no two runners are really the exact same, it's what works for you.  I carry my gear on a high riding chest pack, not a backpack, and my rifle on a biathlon double-shoulder sling, not a tactical sling, and carry no water.  Took me several runnings at Pawnee to get my gear how I wanted it, then went to Lead Farm and did their run & gun event and learned that my set-up wasn't optimum for it by any means.  Lead Farm has a good event too.  I've seen these run & guns grow in popularity over the last few years and the competition is getting better & better.  You'll find all walks of life from all over the place doing these.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, BJB said:

I do the Pawnee event twice a year too.  It's coming up in a few days.  You can stroll or run.  We run hard & it can be brutal between stages 3 and 4......especially for the July event.  Shooting is usually hard as well.  @Glock021 is correct as to the gear, no two runners are really the exact same, it's what works for you.  I carry my gear on a high riding chest pack, not a backpack, and my rifle on a biathlon double-shoulder sling, not a tactical sling, and carry no water.  Took me several runnings at Pawnee to get my gear how I wanted it, then went to Lead Farm and did their run & gun event and learned that my set-up wasn't optimum for it by any means.  Lead Farm has a good event too.  I've seen these run & guns grow in popularity over the last few years and the competition is getting better & better.  You'll find all walks of life from all over the place doing these.

Yes, depending on the type of run/obstacles, what works great for one style event may not be optimum for all. That's just another fun/challenging aspect of RnG.
We will have a night RnG at Lead Farm this year as well. Those are a blast as well.