Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about PCC, Here is what I have

My first post. I am new sorta. joined long time ago just never posted.

I am wanting to try PCC and I have two 9mm SBR's. (not pistols).  I already ordered a shorter handguard for the Scorpion so I can shoot it without the suppressor and try it.

The scorpion has a HB trigger and springs which is better the factory but still heavy. The AR needs a better trigger too,.

I guess what I am wanting to know is which one would you guys sink money into or would you do totally something else?

20180517_043424.jpg

Hello: I would build a new upper for the AR9mm. 16" barrel and light. I suggest a Hiperfire trigger or a JP. They seem to be the only ones that will last around here. The recoil on the CZ are harsher than the AR because of the heavy bolt. Both will get the job done. Thanks, Eric

@Aircooled6racer why do you want a man with the golden ticket to SBR land to run that much barrel?

You probably do want more handguard length so that you can get your offhand further out for more leverage/control over the gun. A 10-12” handguard feels about perfect, just leave enough barrel length for the comp to stick out of the handguard.

I’d run a 10 or 11” barrel in a heartbeat if I could!

Edited by MemphisMechanic
18 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Aircooled6racer why do you want a man with the golden ticket to SBR land to run that much barrel?

You probably do want more handguard length so that you can get your offhand further out for more leverage/control over the gun. A 10-12” handguard feels about perfect, just leave enough barrel length for the comp to stick out of the handguard.

I’d run a 10 or 11” barrel in a heartbeat if I could!

Hello: Because I have shot both and the longer barrel works better unless you are in really tight areas. A couple of others have done the same here also finding the same result. The key is lighter weight for the 16" setup. Thanks, Eric

I have a 9” AR for PCC and have to wonder if it isn’t harsher recoiling than a longer barrel. But may be able to tune that with buffer changes and such. Currently using the early JP 9mm system from before they had the other spring options. I haven’t kept up on what is the current system to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with the AR platform.  Tons of support.  Tons of parts availability.  Scorpion is a neat gun and definitely fine for casual PCC shooting,  but if you plan to compete I think you'll want an AR 9.

I would also recommend a 16" upper.  SBR are definitely cool, tactical is not always practical in competition.  Having the long barrel allows you to firmly plant that stock into the shoulder which will tighten your groups.  Also, getting in and out of position with an SBR configuration always bothers me.  Easier to sweep yourself.

OP.  I think we shoot together at Friday Night Steel.  If so come check out my rigs next week.

Well, it seems unanimous that the AR is the way to go, I wondered about the shorter barrel being a bit more recoil and I do like the idea of a longer hand guard. but if I go ahead and go 16" my tax stamp is of no value here :) Not that that matters its would just be a 3rd upper for this gun.

I have felt the JP trigger and that is probably what I will do. I think I would like a lightened upper receiver too.......  I see where this is going.

My AR set up is a SBR and my barrel and comp combo is 14" oal. I have a Chandler Harwoods forearm on it, very slim and not expensive.  I have a Ray Wells welded 45 rnd mag that does great and it is a blast to shoot. I had a MPX and it was much softer to shoot and the better competition gun for me, but sold it.  My AR works great. I also shoot a Hyperfire trigger.  You could build a new upper in the $250 range, depending on the barrel that you select. Brian Miller makes great base pads that works and he also is on this site as bmiller.  

I have 4 each 9mm's.... 3 each AR style and the 1 each Cz Scorpion carbine w/ muzzle break. By far, the lightest and quickest "pointing" of the AR's is the one with the Taccom  ramped 16' aluminum shrouded barrel.  The AR's all have aftermarket triggers, barrels, bare upper's, red dots, etc.That said,  the CZ has always been extremely reliable (just has the HB springs). I don't seem to have any trouble getting use to the heavier CZ trigger pull. If you want to spend the money???, CZ Custom sells a upgraded trigger for the Scorpion (Made by HB but NOT sold to the public????). The TF mag/spring extensions work just fine.  Prepper Gun shop sells the metal lipped CZ mags  (super glue the metal lip to the plastic body). I do find that if I remember?? to lock the CZ bolt open , it helps with a forced course of fire reload..... (Normally, no reloads required in a UPSA event w/ the TF mag extensions). Have fun....

I appreciate the practical advice and equipment manufacture options. I have been scanning through these forums in the last couple days. A lot of info to absorb. I like the idea of a 14" barrel.

Is your AR set up with a  9mm mag well adaptor or ??? Glock mags lower???. A majority of the 9mm AR's seem to be running Glock mags.  (Mine are). Something else to think about....

Bring 'em both to a match.  You use one and let me play with the other.  ?

From watching a few new shooters with SBRs earlier this year, I highly recommend you use a handstop,   I see the AR has one (good for you).  I don't know if they were just inexperienced or more accustomed to longer handguards, but they kept trying to grab the gun way too close to the muzzle.

31 minutes ago, mike NM said:

Is your AR set up with a  9mm mag well adaptor or ??? Glock mags lower???. A majority of the 9mm AR's seem to be running Glock mags.  (Mine are). Something else to think about....

It has a mag block for colt mags

I am wanting to try PCC and I have two 9mm SBR's. (not pistols).  I already ordered a shorter handguard for the Scorpion so I can shoot it without the suppressor and try it.
The scorpion has a HB trigger and springs which is better the factory but still heavy. The AR needs a better trigger too,.

I guess what I am wanting to know is which one would you guys sink money into or would you do totally something else?

20180517_043424.thumb.jpg.d82ffd15266136b05347c36de931ebc0.jpg

Looks like I may be the only CZ fan here. Get the CZ custom trigger and disconnector. The original trigger parts are case hardened so be careful polishing. Good friend has shot SBR and LBR (long barrel rifle meaning 16”) in CZ. Prefers the long. Also shoots a 16” barrel AR in 9 and MPX. CZs seem to eat anything. ARs and MPXs I’ve see work or don’t. Seen a lot of problems with both. Converse is some shoots ARs and MPXs run like a clock. I lean towards the CZ carbine. Good luck

25 minutes ago, stick said:

Take them both to a match and shoot them.  In my opinion, I would use the AR.

Which one do you like better?

I just converted the Scorpion this morning to short handguard and removed the suppressor. I plan on shooting them tomorrow. I am not very fast with either but they are still fun. I have never shot the scorpion without the suppressor on it. I am looking forward to it.

40366893930_5cbb8ba5a1_c.jpg

Edited by AllenM14

I run a MPX hand/barricade stop on my AR. I hook my index finger around it at the start and I can pull the rifle back into me. Works for me and my finger is not at the muzzle.  Offers better control.

6 minutes ago, troupe said:

I run a MPX hand/barricade stop on my AR. I hook my index finger around it at the start and I can pull the rifle back into me. Works for me and my finger is not at the muzzle.  Offers better control.

I think this a must for an SBR. 

I'd say practice with both and see which you like best. You're experienced enough to know what you like and feel comfortable shooting a match with. The sight on the CZ will probably be easier to find the dot on. The C-more tends to wash out in the bright sunlight. 

20180517_043424.thumb.jpg.d82ffd15266136b05347c36de931ebc0.jpg

I removed the stock sights and replaced it with a rail mount Vortex Viper. Nowhere near the vertical offset on your CZ. Even so close head shots are a hold over to get proper hits.
Don’t use the love much except when referring to family, but the Viper is a great sight and value is out of sight. Use a 6 MOA dot.

I installed the short handguard on the Scorpion and took both out to the range yesterday.

I have to say they are better suited as suppressor hosts then go fast guns. The AR was a bit easier to maneuver though.  I am thinking I need a new gun :)